Advice re parent visa

partnership

My son is living in Australia , has PR and two children. I just spent 20 months there on a student Visa doing a masters and want to move there fulltime. I was offered sponsorship but it was a different state and my oh had already returned home and resumed his job. The finances did not add up to run two households. I could seek sponsorship again but it is hard to get at my age 54 and not in Australia. Also cost of going back. Temporary parent Visa not an option because I  couldn't  work. It will be 6 years before I  would have the money for the contributory Visa so wondering when to apply. Are there any agents who do free initial consults?

6 minutes ago, partnership said:

My son is living in Australia , has PR and two children. I just spent 20 months there on a student Visa doing a masters and want to move there fulltime. I was offered sponsorship but it was a different state and my oh had already returned home and resumed his job. The finances did not add up to run two households. I could seek sponsorship again but it is hard to get at my age 54 and not in Australia. Also cost of going back. Temporary parent Visa not an option because I  couldn't  work. It will be 6 years before I  would have the money for the contributory Visa so wondering when to apply. Are there any agents who do free initial consults?

Hi, @Alan Collett is our resident parent visa guru! Maybe have a chat with him.

Good luck. The parent route can be a protracted process these days. 🙄 Alan will see you right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partnership said:

ALL reputable agents do free initial consults. 

The waiting time for the contributory visa is 5 or 6 years now and I'd be pessimistic about that improving.  The current government would like to stop them altogether, but that would require a change in the law, so they're on permanent go-slow instead. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, partnership said:

It will be 6 years before I  would have the money for the contributory Visa so wondering when to apply.

If I were in your shoes, I would just apply for a 143 visa right now. There will be many years (possibly eight to ten) until you need to find the 2nd vac payment.The queue is moving so slowly that even a few months of hesitation now can add an extra year delay. And there is always a fear that this visa stream will close to new applicants.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2020 at 02:41, partnership said:

i would apply today....we applied for the 173 in August 2016, it said waiting time 12-14 months. We are still waiting 42 months on.