Moved back and confused!

Macho man

14 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

Hi Watsy 

Glad to hear things are picking up - it's great that you are giving it time. I will be facing a similar decision as to where to live in a few years once I'm retired - my hubby loves the heat in Qld but I am over it! We bought a house here 3 years ago and I am feeling more positive about Australia now I don''t have to struggle in the insecurity and frustration of a rental. We still have a house in the UK which we rent out and I am hoping to spend part year in both countries but it is complicated re: tax/super/UK pension etc... Plus grown up kids who have settled here .. I hope you have a lovely Spring and Summer and enjoy those long days that I miss so much!

Sounds pretty much ideal.  😀

I was also so over the heat in Sydney.  We used to come on holiday to Tassie and I suggested to my husband that we move here when we retired and here we are.  Nice warm summers - very dry though - we need rain  .........  cold winters but no ice and snow where we live also far longer days here too during summer.  A lot of people here go up to Qld for the winter.  My neighbours disappear for 3 -4 months every winter.  I rather enjoy the winter here - nice frosty early mornings but it can also rain a lot and blows a gale some days.

This is a very interesting thread and shows how different we all are and that we should never judge. I was lucky enough to settle here quickly and happily and in the past have been guilty of mentally condemning the ‘whingers’  ( never said it, just thought it!) but now as I am older and more acquainted with the agonies some go through I just think that there but for the grace of God go I. Best that we all find happiness whatever it takes, we only have one life after all.

• Like 5

On 09/01/2020 at 16:36, bug family said:

I must admit i was naive when coming here and thought it would be a paradise,  just like neighbours etc and that the sort of lifestyle that was on offer, was right up my street, the reality as I now know is very different, its sort of shiny on the outside but dig a little and its very different.

This quote says it all.  I get criticised for pointing out the negatives and told that "people have already done their research" so it's mean of me to pour cold water on their dreams.  I bet @bug family wishes he'd met me on these forums before he migrated.   

People who already have a clear idea of what Australia is like, won't be put off by having a few downsides pointed out to them.  But from what I've seen, there are far too many people planning to migrate who are as naive as bug family.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

This is a very interesting thread and shows how different we all are and that we should never judge. I was lucky enough to settle here quickly and happily and in the past have been guilty of mentally condemning the ‘whingers’  ( never said it, just thought it!) 

Me too.   It was a real shock to me to come to these forums and see the genuine grief felt by people who had migrated and then discovered they had a much deeper attachment to their home country than they'd ever suspected.  

It's easy to take the attitude that people should just try migrating and if they don't like it, they can come home - but that's simply not a realistic option for a family who have just spent a chunk of their life savings relocating.  

• Like 5

I’m in EXACTLY the same boat! Moved back in June as wanted to come home and be near family. Hubby hates it complains about everything the uk is. Financially he is stressed as we are much less off over here. I’m now starting to feel the stress and wonder if aus is better for our child. But my heart doesn’t want to leave. I don’t know what is going to happen and it’s extrem stressful so I totally know what you are going through 

7 hours ago, Jemvin said:

I’m in EXACTLY the same boat! Moved back in June as wanted to come home and be near family. Hubby hates it complains about everything the uk is. Financially he is stressed as we are much less off over here. I’m now starting to feel the stress and wonder if aus is better for our child. But my heart doesn’t want to leave. I don’t know what is going to happen and it’s extrem stressful so I totally know what you are going through 

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about "depriving your child of a better future".  It's a nonsense that people who've never been to Australia will peddle to you.  Both countries have a lot to offer children in different ways - one is NOT better than the other. 

Your children can be happy and healthy anywhere if their mum is happy and healthy.     If you're going to drag yourself back to Australia and end up miserable and depressed for the rest of your life, that's not a solution.   

It's a horrible situation to be in, when one of you wants one country and one wants the other.  I hope you manage to find a solution. 

• Like 4