Moving Interstate after citizenship application

JustUs

Hi,

Does anyone know the implications of moving interstate on citizenship application processing times?

We’re having to move interstate for work. Applied for citizenship by conferral in mid-2019. Haven’t heard anything yet other than the acknowledgement. 

I know we have to inform the department of changes in address etc. Wondering if that’ll mean the processing work gets transferred to the new state and if that’ll push us down to the bottom of whichever pile we’re going to be placed in (I still have this image of files stacked on a case officer’s desk 😆). 

Appreciate any advice/info. Thanks! 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

When we moved interstate, I filled in the form to inform the Department of the change in address. That’s all I had to do on my part, but it appears the case was then transferred to the state office that I had moved to. The transfer process  didn’t seem to delay any further that it already was. 

Edited by Dreaming_when

On 03/01/2020 at 00:53, JustUs said:

Hi,

Does anyone know the implications of moving interstate on citizenship application processing times?

We’re having to move interstate for work. Applied for citizenship by conferral in mid-2019. Haven’t heard anything yet other than the acknowledgement. 

I know we have to inform the department of changes in address etc. Wondering if that’ll mean the processing work gets transferred to the new state and if that’ll push us down to the bottom of whichever pile we’re going to be placed in (I still have this image of files stacked on a case officer’s desk 😆). 

Appreciate any advice/info. Thanks! 

Hey Mate, I moved from Sydney to Perth last week.After changing the address online,I emailed the Perth citizenship office last Friday regarding my concern of application  being stuck in between 2 states. I got the call on Tuesday from the Citizenship team in Perth, informing me that they have my application here and will allocate me a date very soon. Yesterday got the email with my test date for Jan 29th, which i reschedule to Dec 16th.

I am pretty sure i would have been waiting for a while for my test in Sydney, but seems like Perth has few applications on hand. Hope this help

• 2 months later...
On 28/11/2020 at 23:39, AJ said:

I dont know how long it takes now I did mine a few years ago, but I did my test in Melbourne, and the ceremony in Perth.  I just called them and let them know when I moved.

Hi mate, did you have to provide any additional documentation when moving interstate after test and prior to ceremony ? Also, when you called what info did they ask for ? 

Thank you

On 11/03/2021 at 14:23, Sigemup said:

Hi mate, did you have to provide any additional documentation when moving interstate after test and prior to ceremony ? Also, when you called what info did they ask for ? 

Thank you

Hi I dont think so, it was a few years ago.  I am sure I only phoned them up and said I had moved to Perth, must have quoted a reference, told them the council area I was in and it was all done, then I got an invite a few months later. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ said:

Hi I dont think so, it was a few years ago.  I am sure I only phoned them up and said I had moved to Perth, must have quoted a reference, told them the council area I was in and it was all done, then I got an invite a few months later. 

Thank you for the reply.

Also, what documents did you provide for change of address to a new state ? 

Regards

Edited by Sigemup

6 hours ago, AJ said:

Hi There,

Do you happen to know if moving to another state impacts your position in the queue for ceremonies ? 

As in, for example, if you are approved in FEB and move to new council in MARCH, are you positioned in the queue at the new council, at a similar position as those who are already in the council before you and are approved in MARCH ? Or would you be positioned in the queue by the new council as though you were approved in FEB itself (i.e. your date of approval in the original council).

2 hours ago, Joe Forum said:

Hi There,

Do you happen to know if moving to another state impacts your position in the queue for ceremonies ? 

As in, for example, if you are approved in FEB and move to new council in MARCH, are you positioned in the queue at the new council, at a similar position as those who are already in the council before you and are approved in MARCH ? Or would you be positioned in the queue by the new council as though you were approved in FEB itself (i.e. your date of approval in the original council).

Not 100% sure, but assume that all shires operate their own ceremony lists and you would just be added to at the bottom of the list so to speak (so using your scenario - it may likely be that you'd be considered as a March applicant - ie when you applied to that shire and they'd put you into the next available ceremony).  A lot will depend on how many ceremonies each shire has.  Our shire (when we did ours) had a ceremony once per month and then a mega citizenship ceremony on Australia day.  There  was about 60-70 people having citizenship conferral at our ceremony and we waited about 4 months.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ali said:

Not 100% sure, but assume that all shires operate their own ceremony lists and you would just be added to at the bottom of the list so to speak (so using your scenario - it may likely be that you'd be considered as a March applicant - ie when you applied to that shire and they'd put you into the next available ceremony).  A lot will depend on how many ceremonies each shire has.  Our shire (when we did ours) had a ceremony once per month and then a mega citizenship ceremony on Australia day.  There  was about 60-70 people having citizenship conferral at our ceremony and we waited about 4 months.

Thank you for the reply ! 

When I asked the new council that I am planning to move to, about the number of people in the queue and when I could be allocated to the ceremony, they said that the department allocates people to the ceremony and only the department would know about it. The council receives the list from the dept. a few weeks (about 4) prior to the scheduled sate of the ceremony. 

When I asked the department, they said they do not have access to the wait list for ceremonies. They also said it is as per the approval date but they also said it is a first come first serve basis. It is confusing because it can either be first come first serve at the council level or it can be as per the ascending order of approval date for applicants in a given council. I assume also that there is a separate ceremonies section in the dept. as well. 

Further, the department generally states they try to complete within 6 months of approval. They would have to take into account people moving council correct ? 

Do you have thoughts on the above statements and what would mean for the question I have asked ?

Either way, I think what you said is quite possible, because when I asked, they informed me to notify them when I move so they could add me to the ceremony at the new location. 

When did you have your ceremony and in which state was it ? 

Thank you

Edited by Joe Forum

On 12/03/2021 at 16:09, Joe Forum said:

Thank you for the reply ! 

When I asked the new council that I am planning to move to, about the number of people in the queue and when I could be allocated to the ceremony, they said that the department allocates people to the ceremony and only the department would know about it. The council receives the list from the dept. a few weeks (about 4) prior to the scheduled sate of the ceremony. 

When I asked the department, they said they do not have access to the wait list for ceremonies. They also said it is as per the approval date but they also said it is a first come first serve basis. It is confusing because it can either be first come first serve at the council level or it can be as per the ascending order of approval date for applicants in a given council. I assume also that there is a separate ceremonies section in the dept. as well. 

Further, the department generally states they try to complete within 6 months of approval. They would have to take into account people moving council correct ? 

Do you have thoughts on the above statements and what would mean for the question I have asked ?

Either way, I think what you said is quite possible, because when I asked, they informed me to notify them when I move so they could add me to the ceremony at the new location. 

When did you have your ceremony and in which state was it ? 

Thank you

Our ceremony was a long time ago (2009) and the invitation if I remember rightly came from our shire.  We live in WA - things may have changed a lot.  I know my son's girlfriend did her test on Thursday and they'd already completed background checks from her application, whereas when we did it, they checks were done afterwards.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Just want to check if you know there are any rules that one should not change address to a city if we do not have official work in a given city ?

For example, as of now I am working from home and this means I could be in other city than the one where the office where I work is (looking for investment properties and getting a feel for the city ).

I am leasing an apartment in other city (in both cities). Is it ok to state that address in other city as the residential address while I am looking for properties etc. ? Or should I keep it where the office is ? 

Thank you

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2020 at 18:21, garrychandi said:

Hey Mate, I moved from Sydney to Perth last week.After changing the address online,I emailed the Perth citizenship office last Friday regarding my concern of application  being stuck in between 2 states. I got the call on Tuesday from the Citizenship team in Perth, informing me that they have my application here and will allocate me a date very soon. Yesterday got the email with my test date for Jan 29th, which i reschedule to Dec 16th.

I am pretty sure i would have been waiting for a while for my test in Sydney, but seems like Perth has few applications on hand. Hope this help

Hey mate, would you mind telling me that's the Perth citizenship office email address? Really appreciate your help.