Self pack container?

Silver_Swan

Has anyone ever self packed? which company did you use? 

The more I think about it the more I think I’d prefer to pack my own stuff. I’ve never had removals before, and I like knowing exactly what I’ve packed where, plus it means we can sort out as we pack.

Obviously the big companies want to sell you the packing service as well though...

On 06/01/2020 at 01:40, PommyLyn said:

Silver_Swan 

like yourself I prefer to pack myself. You say you have a price from a shipping company direct. May I please have the name/ details for the company. Thank you. 
PommyLyn 

Hi, it's a company called 1st Move. However the initial fee they quoted doesn't include destination fees, and when you add those in it's the same price as having your stuff packed. I just like the idea of packing my own boxes, knowing exactly what is going inside what box, I've read lots of horror stories about how the valuable items just disappear, or how boxes are essentially thrown together with no thought, making them impossible to unpack properly.

Whenever we move (and we've done it a lot with work) we always get packing done for us.

We did it once took us 2 weeks and we hated it after the second day.

After that we always get them to do it, they can pack up our 4 bed 2 garage house in just under a day and load the container the next morning in about 2 hours.

We still pack a few "valuable/sentimental" boxes ourselves and they are happy with that

You'll find that self packing usually results in more damage (and so self packed insurance is higher) also things going missing is more likely a customs opening thing than a packing company 

Seriously for an international move get the packing. Here is why.

they list the contents of each box (required by customs) so you know what is where

they wrap professionally, less breakage

they wrap furniture in special protective breathable wrap.  
they use boxes that tessellate and pack snug.

They unpack and remove oackaging at the other end

they dismantle and reassemble furniture if required.

insurance prefers it

They are fast, efficient and so totally worth it.

concentrate on de cluttering and sorting your stuff beforehand.  Organise rooms and be clear on what us to go/stay. 

We had never had removals pack for us before as only moved locally.  It is a different game entirely! There is enough stress and things to do, let them take the strain for not much more expense.

5 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Whenever we move (and we've done it a lot with work) we always get packing done for us.

We did it once took us 2 weeks and we hated it after the second day.

After that we always get them to do it, they can pack up our 4 bed 2 garage house in just under a day and load the container the next morning in about 2 hours.

We still pack a few "valuable/sentimental" boxes ourselves and they are happy with that

You'll find that self packing usually results in more damage (and so self packed insurance is higher) also things going missing is more likely a customs opening thing than a packing company 

To be honest most of our stuff is in boxes anyway - we've been abroad for two years travelling, came back and sorted what we wanted to keep and what we wanted to donate, and put the stuff we were keeping back into boxes. I'd prefer it if they just put those boxes as packed into the container. Almost the ideal thing for us would be a half pack - where they pack anything that could be broken, and we pack the rest (because "the rest" is already packed!)

We've also got a huge variance on volumes, one company told us our sofa was 150cuft on its own, even after I explained to them that it can be dismantled and flatpacked. So, just for fun we dismantled it and measured... being generous, it's 66cuft. Less than half their estimate. I'm good at tetris,  I severely hope whoever we pick to load the container is as well, otherwise I won't be impressed!

2 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Seriously for an international move get the packing. Here is why.

they list the contents of each box (required by customs) so you know what is where

they wrap professionally, less breakage

they wrap furniture in special protective breathable wrap.  
they use boxes that tessellate and pack snug.

They unpack and remove oackaging at the other end

they dismantle and reassemble furniture if required.

insurance prefers it

They are fast, efficient and so totally worth it.

concentrate on de cluttering and sorting your stuff beforehand.  Organise rooms and be clear on what us to go/stay. 

We had never had removals pack for us before as only moved locally.  It is a different game entirely! There is enough stress and things to do, let them take the strain for not much more expense.

Thanks... although from all the reviews I'm reading they don't generally list the contents correctly, and people find things missing or packed in strange places.... as I mention in my previous post, a lot of our stuff is already boxed, feels annoying to be paying someone to pack it for us when it's already done, plus I just don't trust them!

Wasn’t an issue for us.  On our second move we had some stuff still in boxes, they simply checked them to ensure they were well packed (for insurance purposes) then re sealed.  All contents were listed properly and I had them also mark the room on the box for initial dispersion on arrival.

I am generally a control freak but was really impressed with them. I did keep a wary eye on them but after four international moves I knew what to expect. 

• Like 1