Selling car before move back

Red Rose

All, 

I need to sell my Ford Fiesta and hope 4-6 weeks is long enough as I want to leave Sydney (for the UK) by Feb. It is a 2014 model, I’m the only owner, and it’s only done 21,000 km. I have never sold a car before...

A couple of questions: 

It was last serviced in Feb 2019, and is due another service in a couple of months. Would you bother getting it serviced again before selling? 

Are there any other tips you guys have for selling a car in NSW?

• Like 1

Get it on Carsales ( $60 till sold ) and gumtree (free) 

I am currently on Carsales site and just had a quick look at 2014 fiestas (obviously not sure what model yours is)  going for around $10000 but you need it gone so advertise for $7900 and be prepared to let go for low $7ks  give or take  ( yours is low kms so should get good interest ) 

Dont tell anyone your living the country or you will be getting terrible offers.

If you took it into a car yard you would probably only get $2/3k for it so keep this in mind if you do get any interest........

Dont bother servicing just make sure oil level etc not low.

Edited by Wa7
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Get it on Carsales ( $60 till sold ) and gumtree (free) 

I am currently on Carsales site and just had a quick look at 2014 fiestas (obviously not sure what model yours is)  going for around $10000 but you need it gone so advertise for $7900 and be prepared to let go for low $7ks  give or take  ( yours is low kms so should get good interest ) 

Dont tell anyone your living the country or you will be getting terrible offers.

If you took it into a car yard you would probably only get $2/3k for it so keep this in mind if you do get any interest........

Dont bother servicing just make sure oil level etc not low.

Thank you!

Yes, go with them and if you can guide them around the easiest, straight roads around your home so the test drive is a pleasant experience ( 5 mins is long enough) 

Also if anyone queries why you selling or the cheapness just tell them a relative has offered you their car for a bargain price so that means you can sell yours a bit cheaper.

Obviously have a car model in mind for if they ask you what car you are getting from this “relative”.

Edited by Wa7
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Wa7 said:

I am currently on Carsales site and just had a quick look at 2014 fiestas (obviously not sure what model yours is)  going for around $10000...

I did my research on the Carsales site and found lots of people saying not to judge by the prices you see on there.   Carsales encourages people to advertise their cars at unrealistic prices and it doesn't mean they sell for that price!

@Red Rose, I suggest taking it along to a car dealership and ask them how much they'd give you for it.  We were pleasantly surprised by how much we were offered - not much less than the our make/model was being advertised on Gumtree.   We found it was worth losing a few hundred dollars for the convenience of keeping the car up until the last day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I did my research on the Carsales site and found lots of people saying not to judge by the prices you see on there.   Carsales encourages people to advertise their cars at unrealistic prices and it doesn't mean they sell for that price!

@Red Rose, I suggest taking it along to a car dealership and ask them how much they'd give you for it.  We were pleasantly surprised by how much we were offered - not much less than the our make/model was being advertised on Gumtree.   We found it was worth losing a few hundred dollars for the convenience of keeping the car up until the last day.

Marisa thanks I might do that actually; selling to a dealer would definitely save a lot of hassle 

5 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

Marisa thanks I might do that actually; selling to a dealer would definitely save a lot of hassle 

It certainly does, just check redbook for what your car is worth age/km's my car has done a lot less than average, dealers yes need to make a profit to sell your car but shouldn't let them go to low, they also use redbook as a guide as part of their offer too (as well as condition/rego left and history etc) go in armed 😉 

• Like 1