Working and travelling!

Reana18

25 minutes ago, Reana18 said:

Okay Thankyou! Would you say it’s relatively easy to save up and find new jobs? 

My niece has been in aus for almost 2 years on a WHV, she gets jobs for a few months, saves and then heads off with a group usually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ali said:

My niece has been in aus for almost 2 years on a WHV, she gets jobs for a few months, saves and then heads off with a group usually.

A Scottish friend's granddaughter has almost finished her 2 year WHV.  She has had jobs in bars and done casual office work in Sydney and managed to get in a fair bit of travel.  She has also worked on a large farm in South Australia.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reana18 said:

Would you say it’s relatively easy to save up and find new jobs? 

Hello

Depends on what you are prepared to do, and are not too fussy about what you do.

If you are going to be fussy or precious about it, you may find yourself a little lacking in options or jobs.

For example, cleaning toilets at a caravan park is hardly exciting or glamorous, but it pays pretty well and you can sometimes get free accommodation thrown in for good measure.

My backpacking paid jobs with added perks included :

Working in a deli & butcher (with a free lunch), working as a cashier in a clothes shop (discounts on clothes),  barmaid & waitress,  making coffee & sandwiches in a cafe (with a free lunch), taking money at the door of a nightclub, working as a chambermaid in a hotel, working as a receptionist in a motel (with free accommodation), working as a cleaner at a backpackers hostel (with free breakfast, lunch, dinner and accommodation), working as a hostel manager (with free accommodation), cleaning toilets at a cinema complex (with access to free films), fruit picking, handing out leaflets.

Also depends on whether you are a saver or you like to party. If you are getting paid, but also have free accommodation, it is easier to save than if you have to pay for lodgings. I did party quite a lot and spent money on a good time, but I was also able to save and travel round much of the country too.

My best suggestion is to have some sort of skill base before you leave home (like learning to pull beers, waitress, operate a coffee machine, etc...) as that will give you an added boost over others also looking for work.

Edited by Tootsie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really does depend on what you want to do.    My niece signed up with a few temp agencies when she arrived, and got a fabulous job as receptionist with an events management company.   She had such a blast that she stayed there six full months.   She got such a good reference that the temp agency offered her another job at another events management place so she did that for another three months.   Then she realised it was "now or never" so she quit and spent her last three months travelling non-stop.

• Thanks 1