Moving to Katherine

Hello

Hi everybody! Im thinking of accepting a job posted in Katherine, I would be moving from New York City and really don't have much clue as to what to expect since I have not lived in such a remote place before. Im looking for a change in pace, I love the outdoors and Im really interested in this job. I have been trying to look up information on life in Katherine but have found mostly negative experiences and they are quite dated, like 10 years back. I would really appreciate hearing from people who are living there or lived there recently, this way I can get a more accurate picture.

Thank you so much and cheers!

Well, not really well versed in the town, @Toots, but have visited many times over the years (1964-2018). 

The Katherine is an oasis in a dry and hot area. Most things and places that I knew by the English names, have been changed to their Aboriginal names, ie, Katherine Gorge is now, Nitmiluk.
The best area to live, in my opinion, is towards the hospital, north of the Hwy. The town centre is quite good, plenty of shade trees around and off street parking. There is a supermarket, but the parking is just adequate...just!

Distances? The next proper town, heading south west, is Kununurra, in WA, about 510 km. Heading south, the first town of any  size, , isTennant Creek, which has a poor reputation. And that is over 250 km away. North, is The Darwin, some 300 km away. Pretty isolated, especially if you are a city soul.

somewhere on this fine forum are a couple of pix of the town centre that I posted last year.

Culturally out of 10, I would give it 0.5.and I, personally, love the town and district. Well, any place with over 100 people, is too big for me.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

Thanks Ya'll! Yeah pretty much hate a lot of things about NY: pollution, noise, traffic, angry people, and Im ready to get out of here. But would like to get a sense of what living is like in Katherine. I suppose @Marisawright your right and unless Im there I wont really know since I have not had such an experience before. Is it a safe place for women to be there on their own? what sort of things are there to do during the weekends? Is it an easy place to make friends? What the median age there? Im in my mid thirties.

Cheers and thank you!

Thanks Ya'll! Yeah pretty much hate a lot of things about NY: pollution, noise, traffic, angry people, and Im ready to get out of here. But would like to get a sense of what living is like in Katherine. I suppose @Marisawright your right and unless Im there I wont really know since I have not had such an experience before. Is it a safe place for women to be there on their own? what sort of things are there to do during the weekends? Is it an easy place to make friends? What the median age there? Im in my mid thirties. Thank you @Bobj for the pictures they really gave me a sense of things 🙂

Cheers and thank you!

• Like 1

During the Dry, (April to October) it is quite a bustling town for backpackers, lots of tourist coaches coming and going and lots of young people. From late October, through to March, the heat and humidity during the Wet, make for an uncomfortable time. However, almost every shop and workplace has air con.

Never thought of personal safety while walking alone, so I cannot comment.

For a young girl, mid thirties? I suppose a social life would be the norm, pubs and clubs, etc. The NT is not really a girly place, being one of the last frontiers of male adventure. Now, if you were a bloke...😉

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 year later...
On 28/11/2019 at 06:20, Hello said:

Im thinking of accepting a job posted in Katherine, I would be moving from New York City

An old post but:

I would love an update on this - as the difference between Katherine and New York City is so vast, that it is hard to comprehend the two together in one sentence.

Personally I like both places