Anyone here in the process of moving from Scotland to Australia

Purpleleaf

Awesome I’m in Glasgow too. East Renfrewshire to be exact. 

How far are you Into the process? 

What are your main reasons to move? (Aside from the weather off course 😉) We know Glasgow isn’t a London. It’s not as expensive, people are a lot friendlier, not congested, good healthcare and schooling....

• 1 month later...

Just recently moved from Paisley, apart from the obvious to get as far away as possible from paisley, the lifestyle has played a part especially south Australia where everything seems more relaxed compared to big cities like Sydney and Melbourne. Any questions feel free to ask

I came from Paisley and we now live just across the boundary in Glasgow. We have just started the process. NSW is where we want to head, both teachers.

Why? Hopeful of a far better life than we have here. Certainly, our pay combined would be like having three wages coming in on what we get now. Have to try! 

Thanks for the replies

so we know that Glasgow isn’t a London in terms of costs so things are quite cheaper in Glasgow compared to London.

What are the costs like in Sydney compared to Glasgow.

Aren’t you afraid of the high cost of living in Sydney compared to where you are now?

On 28/11/2019 at 07:38, JB1990 said:

Just recently moved from Paisley, apart from the obvious to get as far away as possible from paisley, the lifestyle has played a part especially south Australia where everything seems more relaxed compared to big cities like Sydney and Melbourne. Any questions feel free to ask

Well done on the move - How are you finding it?

11 minutes ago, Purpleleaf said:

Thanks for the replies

so we know that Glasgow isn’t a London in terms of costs so things are quite cheaper in Glasgow compared to London.

What are the costs like in Sydney compared to Glasgow.

Aren’t you afraid of the high cost of living in Sydney compared to where you are now?

Sydney prices are comparable to London prices.  A very expensive city.

I came to Australia from Scotland 38 years ago and have had a great life here.  Hope all goes well with your migration.  🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Brianm93 said:

I’m looking to move over from Dumfries with my partner and son, finding it quite tricky though to get enough points for the 189/190 visa. Sat the Pearson’s English test a couple of weeks ago and failed miserably on the speaking part. 

Just a quick hello.  I am originally from Gatehouse of Fleet.  Dumfries was our closest 'large' town.

Good luck with your migration to Australia.  Why was the speaking part so hard?

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

Just a quick hello.  I am originally from Gatehouse of Fleet.  Dumfries was our closest 'large' town.

Good luck with your migration to Australia.  Why was the speaking part so hard?

I work in Gatehouse of Fleet now and then.  I’m from Glasgow, moved to Dumfries a few years ago so my partner could go to Uni down here, there’s not much in this town at all! 

Most of the English test was ok, the speaking part wasn’t as straight forward as you’d think. It’s a mixture of taking in and analysing information in a short span of time and speaking as clearly and confidently about it as you can. So I stuttered a bit and my strong weegie accent didn’t help when pronouncing words.

5 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

I’m looking to move over from Dumfries with my partner and son, finding it quite tricky though to get enough points for the 189/190 visa. Sat the Pearson’s English test a couple of weeks ago and failed miserably on the speaking part. 

I think everyone is finding it tough to get enough points these days.  As you may know,  it's a competition not a queue, so although you only need 65 points to apply, it's a waste of time applying unless you can score well over that.   I believe the 189 needs over 80 points at the moment.