Traveling right after ceremony.

Jorge

Hi all!!!

I'm very excited because I got the invitation for the ceremony in September (City of Sydney Council). 

The issue? Well... I'm going overseas for 2 weeks in October as my sister is visiting after 3 years. I informed immigration as soon as I bought the tickets, about 2 months ago. The trip is about 10 days after the ceremony. My question? Would there be an issue if I don't get the passport on time or should I just reject the invitation and wait for the next invitation to a ceremony? I called immigration and they couldn't give me a straight answer.

Have a great weekend!

As a citizen you must have an Australian passport to enter Australia. It’s one of few countries where this is a rule. Look into a fast track option at the passport office, and put your date of travel on the form too. Maybe you can get it back in time. I’m not sure what else you can do if you don’t get it back in time, as there’s a chance the airline won’t fly you either as your PR visa will be void.

9 hours ago, Jorge said:

Hi all!!!

I'm very excited because I got the invitation for the ceremony in September (City of Sydney Council). 

The issue? Well... I'm going overseas for 2 weeks in October as my sister is visiting after 3 years. I informed immigration as soon as I bought the tickets, about 2 months ago. The trip is about 10 days after the ceremony. My question? Would there be an issue if I don't get the passport on time or should I just reject the invitation and wait for the next invitation to a ceremony? I called immigration and they couldn't give me a straight answer.

Have a great weekend!

If 10 days is too tight I think i would just postpone your ceremony 

Bad news. You must get an Oz passport

Good news. You have plenty of time. When I had my ceremony, it was a Thursday night. I was flying Saturday morning, but my passport by the Friday lunch time.

What you need to do is call your local passport office and make an appointment for an emergency passport. They will ask why you need it and just explain the situation. They will give you an appointment for straight after the ceremony. You go on the morning with your citizenship certificate. Fill in the form and then go back about 4 hours later to pick it up. 

Thank you all!

Just to go on the safe side I've postponed attending the ceremony as the officer said (when I called) that sometimes they don't give you the certificate in the ceremony.

My next opportunity to attend the ceremony will maybe be in November.