Moving back to UK with Australian son. Passport dilema

LouiseM

Hi, i have been living in Australia for 11 years moved here when i was 15, i have a 4 year old son born here in Australia. We are moving back to UK in 5 weeks and through the packing and cleanup i cannot find his british passport anywhere (was never used). He has an Australian passport but i am unsure on entering UK with his Aussie passport and i don't have enought time to get him a new british one. Will they only grant him 6 months stay in UK? Or is he fine due to automatically being a british citizen through decent. I have been reading up and getting different answers.

He will be fine to enter but will get a visit visa in his Aus passport.  Just get a new UK one when you arrive.  Registering with a doctor will require evidence of residence in the UK.  Just having a UK passport doesn’t cut it now as ex pats are not entitled to NHS you have to be resident and able to prove it.

14 minutes ago, LouiseM said:

Thankyou for your reply, if he gets a visit visa doesn't that mean he will have to leave on that passport. How do you prove residency, he will be starting school in October would that help prove residency. 

No, he doesn't have to leave on that passport.

You prove residency by showing documents which have your home address on them.  That could be an electricity bill, a bank statement, etc.  in your name.

Once you get settled get his UK passport.  If you are planning trips back keep your Aussie passports up to date as you MUST use them to enter and leave Australia. The UK doesn’t have that rule.  

Uk passports applied for in Australia are pretty quick though and process is easy. Hubbie got his back in 3 weeks. 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Really? I didn’t 

Yes, maybe it was because I hadn't had a UK passport for 20 plus years, so it was a new passport rather than renewal. I remember posting it with application form and feeling rather vunerable without any passport.

It might be different for OP given her son has previously been issued with one.

But I suppose by that time and within that time frame you would have got a new UK passport anyway and he would leave on that. However you've still got time to get a new passport and could get it off today. Much easier than the faff of negotiating at the border especially if he's starting school, maybe wanting medical care etc.

A few years back when I was a minor I went to visit Australian relatives but when I entered the UK again I mistakenly used my Australian passport and got it stamped with 6 months.  All my dad did was to ring up immigration, show them a copy of his birth certificate and residency and that was it.  They just changed whatever was registered on the system and there was no comeback.  I don't imagine your situation would be any different - they'd be dealing with this sort of thing all the time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eera said:

A few years back when I was a minor I went to visit Australian relatives but when I entered the UK again I mistakenly used my Australian passport and got it stamped with 6 months.  All my dad did was to ring up immigration, show them a copy of his birth certificate and residency and that was it.  They just changed whatever was registered on the system and there was no comeback.  I don't imagine your situation would be any different - they'd be dealing with this sort of thing all the time. 

Thankyou.