Remaining Relative

Kate7165

Hi all,

Apologies if there is already a post on this, I have done a quick search and I don't recall seeing anything recent which could help. 

My parents are Australian Citizens and I have recently decided that it is my time to join them (stupidly waited until I am 31!).  I've read so many horror stories about the Remaining Relative visas taking a lifetime to be authorised and understand that if this was applied for in Australia that it would help the situation. Has anybody gone through this process and would be able to give me some advice?  

I'm guessing that I'd need to go over on a regular visiting visa (please correct me if I'm wrong!) and once I'm in Australia, apply for the Remaining Relative visa. Once this is being processed, apply for a bridging visa which (depending on which is granted) would then allow me to work? 

I've put an enquiry in with an agent but I'd like some advice from people who have actually experienced the process.  

Thanks in advance!
Kate  

From the Dept of Home Affairs Website

You must

• be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your application
  • Don't arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.

Edited by AJ
  • Thanks 1

Thanks AJ, I have been looking on the Home Affairs website and have seen that.  

I have looked at so many pages/forums recently, I think I'm dreaming of the ideal situation and convincing myself that I've read it somewhere official! 

6 hours ago, AJ said:

From the Dept of Home Affairs Website

You must

• be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your application
  • Don't arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.

There are two types of Last Remaining Relative visa.

An onshore (835) and an offshore (115). The OP can be in Australia if applying for the 835.

• Thanks 1

Note. The bridging visa does not come with right to work. You would need to subsequently apply for this based on hardship. It is not gaurunteed. 

You would not be entitled to full Medicare hearly treatment, only reciprocal care which is basic.

You would not be entitled to any government assistance such as unemployment benefits.

Any study, would be regarded as an international student.

These are important to consider given this visa takes many years to process. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kate7165 said:

Thanks everyone.  I know the process takes a while and it won’t be as plain sailing as I had put it - it was just to make sure that what I had in my mind was vaguely on the right lines. 

As VeryStormy says, your biggest hurdle is that I don't think you're allowed to work. How will you survive with no income?  You can eventually apply to be allowed to work on the basis of hardship, but I'm not sure how penniless you have to be, or whether your parents' income would be taken into account - worth checking the details.

You said, "I...understand that if this was applied for in Australia that it would help the situation."   To be clear, the advantage of applying in Australia is that you're in Australia, with your family, while you wait.    The waiting time is the same, in fact for many visas, the waiting time is longer for onshore visas than offshore. 

While on the bridging visa, you can't leave Australia.  You will have to apply for a BVB if you want to go overseas for any reason. 

You may want to consider setting up regular National Insurance contributions so you will get the British pension, as you may not be eligible for the Australian one, depending how long approval takes.   

Remaining relative visas are now apparently taking 50 years!!

quote taken from immi website 

Current estimated processing time for Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications that meet the criteria to be queued is approximately 50 years.”

thats a very long time to be in limbo on a bridging visa! 

Edited by LindaH27