4 year resideny requirement before applying to citizenship

minisb23

I need some help when I should lodging my citizenship application, since there lot of confusion using the online calculator.

Here are my entry dates and absence dates:

Lawful residency: 19/04/2010
Permanent residency: 17/03/2010

From the online residency calculator, tells me that I am already eligible. However, based on the rules and legislation, I think the calculator may not be accurate with calculating the eligibility since it does not take into consideration the absence from the country for more than 1 years (in the last 4 years). Is my understanding correct? What should be my "Intended lodgement" date?

The applicant should not go out of the country for more 3 months in the 4 year, just before the citizenship application. For this I am planning on traveling for 93 days on work starting Aug 2019.

Absences:
01 Apr 2010 to 07 May 2012
07 Jul 2013 to 19 Sep 2013
22 Oct 2013 to 19 Nov 2013
27 May 2014 to 25 July 2016  ==> Out of the country for 2 years (the 4 year period starts here on re-entry)
02 Sep 2016 to 01 Oct 2016
15 Nov 2016 to 30 Nov 2016
13 Sep 2017 to 02 Oct 2017
23 Apr 2018 to 31 Apr 2018
01 July 2018 to 02 Sep 2018
09 Aug 2018 to 10 Nov 2019 ==> Upcoming trip for 91 days. Safe to travel, if Iam lodging the app during Sep 2020

With the 4 year rule is the expected lodgement date Aug 1, 2020 correct, since I reentered Australia during 31 July 2016 (after living outside for 2 years).

Now assuming if I lodge the application after a month later during in Sept 2020. does this impact my eligibility requirement of not staying outside the country for more than 3 months in the last 12 months? Please advise. I would like to know if it's ok to travel for 3 months and 1 day because of family and work commitments during this year.

It's beyond the scope of a forum post to do the actual calculation for you; but I can make the following general points:

- Your dates do not make sense; I'm not sure how your lawful residence can have started on 19/4/2010 if you were absent from Australia on that date as you state

- It's 90 days, not 3 months, out of the country in the final year

- You do not need to have been physically present in Australia on the day 4 years before you lodge IF you held a permanent visa on that date, which is not clear from your post.

8 hours ago, paulhand said:

- Your dates do not make sense; I'm not sure how your lawful residence can have started on 19/4/2010 if you were absent from Australia on that date as you state 

Thanks @paulhand, "19/4/2010" was the first time I entered AU on GSM-175 which is a PR visa granted on "17/03/2010".

Since I was out of the country for 2 years between 2014 to 2016, I had to reapply for RRV and reenter.

6 hours ago, minisb23 said:

Thanks @paulhand, "19/4/2010" was the first time I entered AU on GSM-175 which is a PR visa granted on "17/03/2010".

Since I was out of the country for 2 years between 2014 to 2016, I had to reapply for RRV and reenter.

Your first post says you were absent from Australia: “01 Apr 2010 to 07 May 2012” ... ?

On the RRV, the issue is when it was granted, as that informs your possible citizenship application date. 

I suggest you request your movement records from Immigration to make sure their record matches your records.   The calculator is not to be relied on

Bernadette Burns

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 0744805

www.avcons.com.au

bern.burns@yahoo.com.au

info@avcons.com.au

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/07/2019 at 01:00, paulhand said:

It's beyond the scope of a forum post to do the actual calculation for you; but I can make the following general points:

- It's 90 days, not 3 months, out of the country in the final year

- You do not need to have been physically present in Australia on the day 4 years before you lodge IF you held a permanent visa on that date, which is not clear from your post.

Hi Paul, I arrived in August 2017 as a former permanent resident on a 457 visa (I had been PR in 90s but this has become former PR after I left Australia).

I’m now a permanent resident again (following obtaining RRV). At the moment I’m looking at applying for citizenship in 2 years but is it possible to bring this forward in line with me having been a PR prior to my current stay and not having taken much holiday this time around, or does this only apply to permanent residents?

23 minutes ago, t2529 said:

Hi Paul, I arrived in August 2017 as a former permanent resident on a 457 visa (I had been PR in 90s but this has become former PR after I left Australia).

I’m now a permanent resident again (following obtaining RRV). At the moment I’m looking at applying for citizenship in 2 years but is it possible to bring this forward in line with me having been a PR prior to my current stay and not having taken much holiday this time around, or does this only apply to permanent residents?

No you can't bring it forward, because you would have to have been holding a PR visa whilst offshore, so based on what you posted, you will be looking at August 2021.

18 minutes ago, amanpreetbhangoo said:

Went through your writing and found out that the best you could do is consult a migration agent in  Australia. Only the best one could help you in this condition. I know some of the best migration agents in Brisbane and all over Australia. let me know if you need any advice.

If you had bothered to read the thread you woud see that an excellent registered agent is already posting advice. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If you had bothered to read the thread you woud see that an excellent registered agent is already posting advice. 

50 minutes ago, amanpreetbhangoo said:

Went through your writing and found out that the best you could do is consult a migration agent in  Australia. Only the best one could help you in this condition. I know some of the best migration agents in Brisbane and all over Australia. let me know if you need any advice.

I think he is referring to himself!

• Haha 2