Tax in de facto

qpm

Hi all,

We're currently applying for a de facto visa and about to lodge a tax return. Will it look unfavourably at us if we don't lodge a tax returns together? i.e. not claim joint income and de facto status?

Hi, 

I'm not sure. When lodging my tax return - there is an option to add my partner's tax return and lodge them together. Which would mean that our combined income would be assessed and the tax return would be different. 

4 hours ago, qpm said:

Hi all,

We're currently applying for a de facto visa and about to lodge a tax return. Will it look unfavourably at us if we don't lodge a tax returns together? i.e. not claim joint income and de facto status?

You can be fairly confident that the Department and the ATO have systems that talk to each other. Being economical with the truth, with either of them, is never a good idea. 

2 hours ago, qpm said:

Hi, 

I'm not sure. When lodging my tax return - there is an option to add my partner's tax return and lodge them together. Which would mean that our combined income would be assessed and the tax return would be different. 

You are assessed individually, but you need to declare that you have a partner for the whole or part of the year, who that partner is, and their income. It doesn't affect yor actual income, but it can affect some benefits, and the Medicare levy surcharge.