places to live just south of newcastle.........

Guest Jaynie

Hi there,

Some of the places you mention eg Morriset, dora Creek are quite small, but nice areas, there are quite a few nice suburbs round the Newcastle area, have you looked on the other threads under the NSW section, you may find some great advice in one of those.

I live in Gosford, so about an hour South of Newcastle, sorry I couldn't be more help for you, but I'm sure somebopdy can advise you more.

Hi there, we're looking in the Newcastle area too, although probably further in than you. I have friends near Sydney who sent me some scanned info on high schools in Newcastle, that also includes Warners Bay. You could pm me your email and I'll forward a copy to you. Obviously the other place to look is the NSW education dept website which I have to google everytime as I forget to type it into the search bar!!

Sandra

• 1 month later...

Hi, we have stayed in Belmont twice and have visited Blacksmiths (great beach,nearest shops Belmont Citi Centre and Swansea) Caves Beach (again very beautiful beach, shoppping at Swansea) Don't know about Morriset, Just did'nt fancy it and never heard of Dora Creek. Other nice places to live in the area are Belmont, Warners Bay, Valentine, Elebeena, Croudace Bay, (all on Lake Macquarie) Pelican is a beautiful little bay on the lake, on the other side of the road, directly opposite Blacksmiths Beach which is on the coastal side both places I would love to live. Your nearest big shopping center is Charlestown Square Plaza, its no Lakeside but you'll find everything you need there food clothes etc (i have two teenage girls aged 16 +19 and they loved it). Lots to do and see on the lake, boating, windsurfing, fishing, kayaking, bbqs and sunbathing! Warners Bay have live music by the lake every Friday night in the summer, everyone brings a picnic and an "eskie" with a few cold ones and watch the sun go down on the lake listening to the music, Wonderful!

Hope this helps.

Regards Ann

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, we have stayed in Belmont twice and have visited Blacksmiths (great beach,nearest shops Belmont Citi Centre and Swansea) Caves Beach (again very beautiful beach, shoppping at Swansea) Don't know about Morriset, Just did'nt fancy it and never heard of Dora Creek. Other nice places to live in the area are Belmont, Warners Bay, Valentine, Elebeena, Croudace Bay, (all on Lake Macquarie) Pelican is a beautiful little bay on the lake, on the other side of the road, directly opposite Blacksmiths Beach which is on the coastal side both places I would love to live. Your nearest big shopping center is Charlestown Square Plaza, its no Lakeside but you'll find everything you need there food clothes etc (i have two teenage girls aged 16 +19 and they loved it). Lots to do and see on the lake, boating, windsurfing, fishing, kayaking, bbqs and sunbathing! Warners Bay have live music by the lake every Friday night in the summer, everyone brings a picnic and an "eskie" with a few cold ones and watch the sun go down on the lake listening to the music, Wonderful!

Hope this helps.

Regards Ann

Trust a beach head from Margate to like that lifestyle!!!:jimlad:

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the Charlestown/Kahibah area, about 25 mins away from Swansea/Blacksmiths in the Newcastle direction. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Lake Macquarie is a beautiful area with great beaches and the wonderful lake. Its pretty handy for Sydney and Port Stephens too

I live in the Charlestown/Kahibah area, about 25 mins away from Swansea/Blacksmiths in the Newcastle direction. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Lake Macquarie is a beautiful area with great beaches and the wonderful lake. Its pretty handy for Sydney and Port Stephens too

Hi Deb

We've been thinking about Eleebana and Warners Bay, they look lovely but what are they like in real life?! You can see the kids ages from my signature, there are a few of them! Are the schools nice? We'll be arriving just before Christmas and staying in the centre of Newcastle until we get a feel for the place, can't wait to hear from you!

IMHO Warners Bay is an excellent suburb when you have a young family. In fact I'd say its probably the best place to be looking at when starting out in this area. The suburb has grown and changed through families so much since I've been visiting the area (20-odd years) and

There are activities and places to go (a big challenge for us when me first moved over was lack of already structured things to do, it was all "beach")

The walk/ride around or bbqing at the lake are a great free activity. There are parks and sports fields, shops, cafes. Just around the lake is Speers point swim centre.

You are 15-25 minutes from both major shopping centres (Kotara and Charlestown-Kotara has recently had an expansion and facelift and Charlestown is undergoing a HUGE change) and only a few minutes from Glendale supacentre.

The above time frame would also be appropriate for distance to beaches and Newcastle. There is a reasonable bus service.

It really is WYSIWIG on most pics posted online with this area. Clean and beautiful.

I do have a lot more to say but am strapped for time. Of course your situation and hopes will all play a role in how this place sits with you guys and the kids. I should maybe spend some time reading your profile! :mask:

Thanks Deb, we really like the sound of it. I think the kids might have more freedom being a bit further out of the city, the only thing would be the commute for John to get to the Uni - is it reasonably ok? Would he be able to use the bus or would he be better with a car?

Thanks so much fror the info!

Sandra

Guest KALINDA

Hi = Warners Bay is just perfect for you. We arrived in Oz in Jan 07 and nearly moved to Valentine also a lovely area around the Lake. Good access to Newcastle and on Bus routes as mentioned in other posts. We found our house in Charlestown and it suits us 'oldies' perfectly as it is near to all the amenities - libraries, banks, shops medical centre etc etc also good bus routes to Lake Macquarie and Newcastle - why did we opt for Charlestown - our son and daughter-in-law live there with our 20 month grandson. Our son and wife work at John Hunter Hospital and it takes just 10 mins in the car or say 20 mins by bus. We call this the ten minute town - 10mins to the Lake, 10 mins to lovely beaches, 10 mins to Newcastle and just a short drive to the Pacific Highway for routes to Central Coast and Sydney or the other way into the Hunter Valley - it looks as though there are a good few new folk in the Newcastle area so look out for a Meet-Up where you can meet up with others in similar situations and can swap stories and begin a new circle of friends.

Feel free to contact us if we can be of any help to you.

Linda

Thanks Deb, we really like the sound of it. I think the kids might have more freedom being a bit further out of the city, the only thing would be the commute for John to get to the Uni - is it reasonably ok? Would he be able to use the bus or would he be better with a car?

Thanks so much fror the info!

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I think you'll find the commute from Warners bay pretty straight forward by bus or car. The bus service are adding new services in the next few weeks so I'll drop you a line when I find out more. One good thing about the bus service around here is you only pay for the 1st child of the family, the rest are free :yes:

Warners bay is probably more central to everything than Newcastle itself btw.

Hi Linda! You must be just down the road from me. How long has your son lived here? A meet up could be a good idea, I may not be a new arrival (10 years here) but I'm sure I have a few helpful tips. My whole family live in this area, parents and siblings and my kids have grown up here from the ages of 9 and 7. I'm married to an Aussie.

Dave and Ange what brings you to the Newcastle area? What are we talking time-wise for the ST Accommodation?

Guest KALINDA
Hi Sandra

I think you'll find the commute from Warners bay pretty straight forward by bus or car. The bus service are adding new services in the next few weeks so I'll drop you a line when I find out more. One good thing about the bus service around here is you only pay for the 1st child of the family, the rest are free :yes:

Warners bay is probably more central to everything than Newcastle itself btw.

Hi Linda! You must be just down the road from me. How long has your son lived here? A meet up could be a good idea, I may not be a new arrival (10 years here) but I'm sure I have a few helpful tips. My whole family live in this area, parents and siblings and my kids have grown up here from the ages of 9 and 7. I'm married to an Aussie.

Dave and Ange what brings you to the Newcastle area? What are we talking time-wise for the ST Accommodation?

Hello Deb, our son has lived in Charlestown for about 3 years now. Can't believe we have been here nearly two years ourselves! We live in Kalinda Parade - hence.....

I have a feeling we may have been in touch on this forum before but we kind of lost touch. We have had a Meet-up through the other web-site and have made a few friends from there. It is good when you initially arrive to have someone around with a common link to share experiences with and to be able to give and receive support.

We have quite a busy life these days but maybe we could meet up for a coffee or a walk or something and maybe set up a Meet-up for all the newbies who seem to be arriving in the area.

Linda

Hi Linda

Duh! Yeah I know where you are now, I thought it was familiar but just connected it with your name :-)

I don't think I've been a member of an ex-pat forum before but I may be wrong, if it was a long time ago perhaps.

Perhaps a get together for the Xmas season would be good, like a meet and greet organised with the newbies? :-)

Hi

We will be watching this thread with interest, as we are thinking of looking at the Newcastle area as a possible place to settle when we get our visa which will hopefully be around Xmas or the New Year. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and informative. (Kids aged 13 nearly & 10) (OH a plumber & me an administrator). Any advice or useful links appreciated.

Bye for now.

Hi, we're moving to Dudley over the Xmas break- getting excited now! Dudley Primary looks good and Charlestown High looks reasonable- anyone got anything to add to that?

I've only spent a week in Newcastle but it was enough to get a glimpse of a wonderful lifestyle on offer :smile:

Dudley is a nice quiet suburb. My sons both have a few friends there. There is an hourly bus service but it is definitely a suburb that needs at least one car per family.

The Charlestown High school is actually at Whitebridge, a suburb in-between Dudley and Charlestown.

Hey Loopy,

We're looking at Dudly aswell - it looks really nice. We'll be there towards end of Nov.

Excellent- will look forward to hearing your first impressions then :)

Dudley is a nice quiet suburb. My sons both have a few friends there. There is an hourly bus service but it is definitely a suburb that needs at least one car per family.

The Charlestown High school is actually at Whitebridge, a suburb in-between Dudley and Charlestown.

We don't have a bus service at all where we live now so an hourly one seems cool.

hi all, very glad this thread is of worth.

well we are now in oz and have been in blue haven nsw for a few weeks, we are in a rental till march 09.

our youngest is 11 and in a good primary school, however we are in desperate need of a "good" high school for our 14 yr old daughter. she did start at one and lasted 2 days before we pulled her out!!!!............ so, please please anywhere around the lake that consists of students that actually want to learn please please let us know asap.

also we are looking for somewhere to buy in the new year ( seeing as the govenment just gave us a rise to $14,000 towards a new home) hopefully close to the fab new high school. so any input is much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

mark & tracey.

Archived