places to live just south of newcastle.........

Just registered, new at all this. Hubbies company have offered him a job in Newcastle so we are thinking of making the big move Down Under! We like the look Lake McQuarie, would be great to live near the water. Got 4 year old twin boys who would be starting school there. Interested in any advice anyone can offer. We should be going out end of Feb to get a feel for the place and then moving out permanently around June. Any suggestions on areas we should consider living? Looking for somewhere with plenty to do for 2 active boys, with good schools, and an easy commute into Newcastle CBD.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alexandsuze

Hi Tracey,

If you are looking at moving a little further north, I can recommend Valentine, Eleebana, Warners Bay area. High school is a tricky one, are you looking at public or private? I grew up in Lake Macquarie and I went to Belmont High school - which accepts kids from Belmont South, Pelican, Belmont, Belmont North, Floraville & Tingira Heights. It isn't a bad school, they have some good programs there, but every public school will always have some kids that don't want to be there. I also went to Warners Bay High School, which again was a pretty decent school. That caters for areas like Valentine, Eleebana, Warners Bay and Croudace Bay. It is probably on a similar par to Belmont High School. They have a decent success rate for the HSC and acceptance into Uni.

Merewether High School, which is much further north, is a real standout, it is a public school, however you much sit an extrance exam, but they have an exceptional academic program and is one of the most highly regarded high schools in Newcastle.

I hate to offend anyone now, and I can't speak from personal experience as I did not attend these schools, however I would avoid Swansea High and Gateshead High in the Lake Macquarie areas.

If you have any other questions about schools, please feel free to message me.

Cheers,

Suze

Hi all,

This is a very lazy way of searching for the ideal location but with so much local knowledge here it is probably best:

I have set out below our ideal criteria for a place to live and I would love for a few people to post the name of the town they think fits best!

Coastal town

Not too rural, so as big as possible

Big commercial centres/shopping areas (guess who's criteria that is?!)

Family location

Good for schools

Nice properties

Commutable to Sydney (am I pushing it?!)

North/South of Sydney

thanks so much in advance for your suggestions!

Karl, Sue and Jessica (3)

Archived