Toni

Toni&Paddy

Hi I was hoping for any advice and info if possible, me and my husband are wanting to move to Darwin, I know it’s very hot and tropical but it looks like such a beautiful place, we love the idea of the remoteness and the multi cultural side of it too, I have researched a lot.  We are looking into the DAMA route Sub class 482, as my job is on the list of needed jobs in the NT (Nursing Support) I was just wondering if anyone has done this route and how easy or hard was it?  

Many advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Toni

You might want to check out some posts from folk who live/have lived in Darwin.  Huntersmummy springs to mind (wonder how she is going!)  It's not exactly what most migrants think of when they think of Australia - heck, even most Australians wouldn't want to live there.  There's multicultural and then, again, there's multicultural and your expectation and the reality might be poles apart.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

You might want to check out some posts from folk who live/have lived in Darwin.  Huntersmummy springs to mind (wonder how she is going!)  It's not exactly what most migrants think of when they think of Australia - heck, even most Australians wouldn't want to live there.  There's multicultural and then, again, there's multicultural and your expectation and the reality might be poles apart.  

She absolutely hated life in Darwin poor soul.  Hope she is a lot happier now.  Got to say I wouldn't live there for quids.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Toni&Paddy

My family moved to Darwin from UK , two & half years ago

Ignore the negative comments Darwin is fantastic we love it

We’ve had family & friends visit us from UK & other parts of Australia & have all & I mean all gone back saying WOW . That was not what I expected what a great place . Seriously underrated & to many myths & bullshit about the place

Nowhere is perfect. If you have any questions please ask

• Like 1

Hi 

thank you for your reply, so glad to hear not every one hates Darwin! I think personally it’s an amazing place, beautiful! Unfortunately it looks like we can’t go now as the visa offered is a 5 year visa but can apply for PR after 3 years but because I’m an old fart 3 years will bring me to 45 which I have found out will be too old to apply 😢 

absolutely gutted we are, but don’t want to make the move knowing we have to come back after 5 years, that would be too unsettling for our kids.

We had an update off an agency saying there is new visa options coming out in November so hopefully something on there for us 🤞

9 hours ago, Toni&Paddy said:

We had an update off an agency saying there is new visa options coming out in November so hopefully something on there for us 🤞

What will happen in November is that some jobs will be taken off the list and some jobs will be added to the list.   However the ONLY jobs that are ever added to the long-term list are highly-skilled jobs that require years of study, and that's never going to change.   

Australia is not short of people any more. In fact, unemployment is about the same here as in the UK.  So if there's a need for clerical staff, care workers etc, there's a big pool of Australians who can be trained up in less than a year to do those jobs.  So there's no way the government will ever import more people with those skills, as the perception would be that the migrants are taking those jobs away from Australians.  

An exception is made for the Northern Territory because the average Australian simply won't live there.  It's seen as too bogan (the Australian equivalent of chav) and the climate is hard to tolerate at some times of year.