143 visa

Janette

Hi does anyone know if the government has started looking at new 143 contribution visa for this year 2019

Our papers have been in since 2017 and we still haven’t heard anything 

Edited by Janette
  • Like 1

Thank you for responding. On our acknowledgment letter our position number is 00003480, not sure what this means but do you have a position number on your acknowledgment letter? It’s so frustrating waiting this length of time 

On my acknowledgement letter there is a position number but I believe it to be the staff number of the person who sent the acknowledgment  letter rather than the place in the queue as mine starts 6001****!!

When did you apply? 

To the best of my knowledge 173 and 143 applicants are not given a queue number. Non contributory visas are given a queue date as theirs will take a very long time (estimated at 30 years!) but not the contributory applications. 

Its going to take a long time unfortunately. 2015 applicants were told 18-24 months for their visas but they are only just getting them now 4 years later. The Australian government is reducing the level of migration and it seems that the best guess for all contributory parent visas is being “capped” at under 6000 per year. 

Australia in common with many other countries is facing an ageing population with all the attendant expenses due to illnesses,  care needs etc so it’s very reluctant to take on parents whose future needs will place a strain on their budget. Most of here here will be self supporting but that doesn’t matter! 

It’s  best to just get on with your life and make long visits - or apply for the 870 to allow a three or five year stay but it’s expensive and you have to have private health insurance. 

Thank you Linda for that information, my papers went in July 2017 so yes I suppose I’ll just have to get on with life like you said but I’m one frustrated lady just want to get over there with both my children, guess you will be feeling the same.

You’re welcome! I think everybody in this forum is very frustrated and fed up with the length of wait time but unfortunately there is not much we can do.  My big fear is failing the medical due to being much older by the time I reach the front of the queue!! None of us has a crystal ball unfortunately and cannot know how our health will be. 

I am afraid to say as well, that after my years on the foru,m, watching cuts to the department, changes and now significant cuts to the numbers of grants. I would expect a much longer delay. My guess on a 2017 app,I can't would to allow up to 8 years. 

I know it is frustrating, but, from Australia's view, you are not the people it wants. Also, remember that most countries, including the UK do not even have a comparable visa. 

• Like 1

Janette it’s 4 years for people who applied 2015. I really think 2017 is looking around 6 years, I don’t think 4 years is a realistic hope unless there’s a miracle and Australia allows more visas. The queue started shooting up from 2014 onwards. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janette said:

Oh dear 8 years sounds along time think I’ll hope for 4 years altogether that seems to be the general view on time scale but thank you for  responding 

It’s not the general view on timescales. It’s the timescale of people who applied in early/mid 2015.  The queue increased at an alarming rate after they applied and the allocation of visas dropped.  They are currently doing applications from Aug 2015 and the queue seems to move about four months for each year. You are two years behind the current applications being processed in actual years but if the queue is only moving by four months in each year that’s 6 years left for you. I really do hope it gets better as I’m in the same position as you although I’m higher up the queue than you but I’m still looking at many years.  

At 30 June 2018, 48,595 applicants were waiting for a 143 visa (up 8.3 per cent on the number  -  44,886 - at 30 June 2017).   6015 places were granted between July 2017 and June 2018.

This is from the official Aus. government Migration Report 2017-18  (page 17 near the bottom of the page)

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2017-18.pdf

34 minutes ago, Janette said:

Feel like I’ll never get there to join my family 😥 the waiting time is so long, it’s very depressing 

Make sure your family is aware of how long it’s going to take, they probably don’t realise. Would they consider moving back to be with you?