Qld Coast - If anywhere, where would you?

francy

Hi,

Looking for opinions on coastal areas (within 1/2 hr drive) of Queensland suitable for family of 4 - 2 kids aged 11 & 13.

Housing budget is around $400k-$450k

We've been to the Sunshine coast and love it there but just wonder what other areas there are as know there are many to be considered. (I've researched Caloundra & Sippy Downs area)

Been told the further north you go there are less jobs?

We're currently in southern NSW and have been in Oz for over 4 yrs.  Ideally looking at moving in the next 6-12mths.

Work wise, both myself and husband have over 10yrs experience in aviation/customer service. Hubby currently works at our local airport. I'm working in real estate which I don't mind.

Looking at State high schools with good reputations and bonus if have a soccer team.  

We all love the warmth, not bothered about humidity (apart from frizzy hair :))

So basically my question is ....... If we were to sell up and move, where should we move to?

34 minutes ago, francy said:

Hi,

Looking for opinions on coastal areas (within 1/2 hr drive) of Queensland suitable for family of 4 - 2 kids aged 11 & 13.

Housing budget is around $400k-$450k

We've been to the Sunshine coast and love it there but just wonder what other areas there are as know there are many to be considered. (I've researched Caloundra & Sippy Downs area)

Been told the further north you go there are less jobs?

We're currently in southern NSW and have been in Oz for over 4 yrs.  Ideally looking at moving in the next 6-12mths.

Work wise, both myself and husband have over 10yrs experience in aviation/customer service. Hubby currently works at our local airport. I'm working in real estate which I don't mind.

Looking at State high schools with good reputations and bonus if have a soccer team.  

We all love the warmth, not bothered about humidity (apart from frizzy hair :))

So basically my question is ....... If we were to sell up and move, where should we move to?

Hunter Valley/Port Stephens.  The area is booming and Newcastle Airport (RAAF Williamtown) is expanding rapidly with the F-35 acquisition and other programs such as the E-7A Wedgetail.  Arguably the best beaches in the country and a lot more.  

I agree with Bulya except that of course, it doesn't meet your criteria of a half-hour's drive.  Is there a strong reason you need to be so close to Queensland?  The beaches on the NSW coast from Newcastle north are every bit as good and I think the weather is better.

Edited by Marisawright

I like the Sunshine Coast and Caloundra was lovely when we stayed there. Not too far up either and I think in easy driving distance of the airport. Loads of nice places all the way up.

Nice just South of the Gold Coast too. Wouldn't fancy living right in the action of Gold Coast though.

Wouldn't go inland but I'm a beach lover and just having a good beach and surf club nearby means kids have lots to do free, make plenty of mates and keep fit. Ours have always been able to get to the local surf club and had hours of fun without us having to be involved

Can be north NSW. Had a night in Newcastle last month & stayed in Port Stephens for 2 nights last year. Liked Port Stephens just house prices are a bit more & stamp duty is more than half in Qld.

Daughters dream is to work at Australia Zoo but that’s a long way off and she’ll probably change her mind by then.

if anyone has reviews on Newcastle areas as well?

31 minutes ago, francy said:

Can be north NSW. Had a night in Newcastle last month & stayed in Port Stephens for 2 nights last year. Liked Port Stephens just house prices are a bit more & stamp duty is more than half in Qld.

Daughters dream is to work at Australia Zoo but that’s a long way off and she’ll probably change her mind by then.

if anyone has reviews on Newcastle areas as well?

Possibly driving up next Thursday for the annual Dawn Strike at Williamtown and after heading down to Nelson Bay for a look around, and then some time looking around Newcastle.  It’s changed massively since I left in ‘76.

I've recently moved to the Sunshine Coast  from the UK in March.   Previously lived in Darwin for 6 years before moving back to the UK, back again for another go.   I'm not far from Caloundra at Dicky Beach/Moffatt Beach,  lovely area, beaches are stunning , I have 5 to choose from within 10 mins in the car.  Its busy but not anywhere Gold Coast or Brisbane busy.  Further North all along the Coast towards Noosa its just as beautiful too.  

However there is a but....On the jobs front there is less of a rosy picture.  Now I can only speak for myself, you may have far more luck than me but so far I've applied for about 50+ jobs and not one interview so far, just the odd rejection email (most don't bother).  It's early days yet I know and thankfully partner is a nurse and I have saving however but starting to get a bit worried.  I've been a retail manager for 20 plus years (in UK & Aus) with a half decent CV and degree.  So different from the Darwin job market where I had a number of offers from day one.  One customer service job I applied for had 184 applicants for one position.   Maybe being nearly 50 doesn't help me though.  Anyhow for what its worth Sunshine coast jobs most in demand are aged care (nurses and carers) and hospitality.  Every block seems to have an aged care facility.   Many of my neighbours have to commute  down to  Brisbane CBD/Northern Suburbs  each day but thats adds 2 hours each day.   Anyhow enough of my waffling, hope wherever you end up you get fixed up, best of luck.    

Ps I liked Redcliffe/Scarborough (near airport for jobs) on recent visit.  Has a beach, marina, much livelier than SC and house prices seamed to be cheaper.  Half hour to Brisbane CBD too.