Moving my partner to England

Rheann N

Hi all

Me and my partner are looking to move to England early next year to give something new a try . I am a British and Australian citizen with passports for both countries. My partner on the other hand is Australian and we are so lost on what is going to be the best way to get him over to England. We have looked on gov.uk which is the website we keep being directed to but it just isn't giving us the definitive answers we are looking for. We have an entire page of questions that we would like answers but our main one is:

Which way is going to be the easiest to get him over?

We are looking to stay permenately and settle down and have a family and buy a house to. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are struggling so much to find definitive answers to the questions we have.

Thanks, 

Rheann

There are two streams for him to gain a visa. Both are based on finance.

The first is savings. You must show that you have a minimum of £62500 in saving held in your bank for at least three months unless it is from the sale of your home, in which case the period of holding the cash is waived.

The second is employment. You have to have held a job for the last six months earning a minimum of £18600 and that you have a guaranteed job commencing within three months of your planned arrival paying a minimum of £18600. 

Another option to consider is the Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5). BUT! This is not a permanent visa, only temporary. So it is not the one to do if you plan on starting a family / buying a house right away. However it could be a good stepping stone, to see whether England is the place you do actually want to settle, before you go down the route of a more in depth visa..

According to the gov.uk website you can apply for this visa if you meet the following:-

• want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
  • are aged 18 to 30
  • have £1,890 in savings
  • have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries (Australia is on this list)
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

Just thought I would throw another option out there, depending on if you meet the requirements for it as well as if it would be suitable in relation to how soon you want to properly settle :)

Also,  if you decided to go this route you would have to look into it properly yourself. It says you cannot extend your stay, but I presume if you like it and decided to apply for a partner visa for example, you may then get put on a bridging visa like they do in Australia... though I do not know for sure!!

15 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

There are two streams for him to gain a visa. Both are based on finance.

The first is savings. You must show that you have a minimum of £62500 in saving held in your bank for at least three months unless it is from the sale of your home, in which case the period of holding the cash is waived.

The second is employment. You have to have held a job for the last six months earning a minimum of £18600 and that you have a guaranteed job commencing within three months of your planned arrival paying a minimum of £18600. 

Just to clarify, both those options are different ways of qualifying for the same visa, not different visas

2 hours ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Another option to consider is the Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5). BUT! This is not a permanent visa, only temporary. So it is not the one to do if you plan on starting a family / buying a house right away. However it could be a good stepping stone, to see whether England is the place you do actually want to settle, before you go down the route of a more in depth visa..

According to the gov.uk website you can apply for this visa if you meet the following:-

• want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
  • are aged 18 to 30
  • have £1,890 in savings
  • have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries (Australia is on this list)
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

Just thought I would throw another option out there, depending on if you meet the requirements for it as well as if it would be suitable in relation to how soon you want to properly settle 🙂

Also,  if you decided to go this route you would have to look into it properly yourself. It says you cannot extend your stay, but I presume if you like it and decided to apply for a partner visa for example, you may then get put on a bridging visa like they do in Australia... though I do not know for sure!!

It is just a holiday and there are no bridging visas in the UK and spouse visas have to be applied for offshore. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

there are no bridging visas in the UK and spouse visas have to be applied for offshore. 

You are right, no bridging visa available, you have to apply offshore.  What's more, you must apply from your country of residence.   When my oh and I were planning to move, we were thinking of spending several months in Europe first, so we thought we'd wait and apply from there.  But he would've had to fly all the way back to Australia to submit his application.

Edited by Marisawright

Currently doing the same with my partner. The 60000 used to be the case, but the webpages were updated recently with new requirements. It says you need a combined income of £18600 a year, which can be include a minimum of £16000 savings. (I think some old web pages are being served as the first time I clicked your link it showed me the old value and I had a little heart attack - but loaded correctly the second time when I showed my partner and I looked like a liar!)

I guess you’ve checked his ancestry to ensure that there isn’t a British born grandparent lurking in there somewhere? If there is, he could apply for an Ancestry visa which is a whole lot easier. Failing that, is there any Irish or other European Ancestry which might get him a European passport as that would be enough (at the moment to get him into UK.

Other than that, you've already got good advice about the partner visa.  Good luck.

• 1 year later...
On 19/05/2019 at 13:28, Quoll said:

I guess you’ve checked his ancestry to ensure that there isn’t a British born grandparent lurking in there somewhere? If there is, he could apply for an Ancestry visa which is a whole lot easier. Failing that, is there any Irish or other European Ancestry which might get him a European passport as that would be enough (at the moment to get him into UK.

Other than that, you've already got good advice about the partner visa.  Good luck.

Would you recommend this as an option to move to the UK if a partner/spouse visa isn't really an option, and if it's uncertain whether the move will be permanent or temporary (say 1-2 years if the latter)? I'm currently considering this visa but not sure if it's the best option

8 hours ago, sammi_gammi said:

Would you recommend this as an option to move to the UK if a partner/spouse visa isn't really an option, and if it's uncertain whether the move will be permanent or temporary (say 1-2 years if the latter)? I'm currently considering this visa but not sure if it's the best option

What? The Ancestry visa?  No brainer, it's one of the easier ones to get providing you can prove your heritage.  Might need some birth and marriage certificates. It can easily lead to citizenship once the period of residence has been completed and, at the moment, it is not time constrained.

9 hours ago, sammi_gammi said:

If you mean the Ancestry visa, then it is always THE best option if you're eligible to claim it.