Help! Where do I start???

Hello.

So my fiancé and I want to move to Oz permanently. I'm a qualified motor mechanic so know I can get us both there under a skilled visa application. 

I've spent the day going round and round on the Skills Select website and searching Google etc. 

Regards the EOI.... It sounds like I need skills assessment for my UK qualifications, Assessment for my level of English language, assessment for my health and a criminal record check. What do I need to do first? Start filling out the EOI or start getting these assessments in order, or complete these assessments as I fill out the EOI?

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Andy

21 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Hello.

So my fiancé and I want to move to Oz permanently. I'm a qualified motor mechanic so know I can get us both there under a skilled visa application. 

I've spent the day going round and round on the Skills Select website and searching Google etc. 

Regards the EOI.... It sounds like I need skills assessment for my UK qualifications, Assessment for my level of English language, assessment for my health and a criminal record check. What do I need to do first? Start filling out the EOI or start getting these assessments in order, or complete these assessments as I fill out the EOI?

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Andy

I would give a registered MARA agent a call first to get an initial consultation, they will look at your situation and tell you if you have a chance at migrating.

Some do this free, some charge and some charge but refund if you use them later. Honestly for a few minutes and a few pounds their expertise will save you hours or days of contradictory Google searches.

In terms of what you do next you will need to get your skills assessed (this is at least a £1000+ for a hands on trade like yours so worth having your eligibility checked by an agent before you blow this sort of money and find out you can't go anyway)

Next step is getting English language proficiency proven, proficient (10 PTS) is relatively simple where as even as a native English speaker you shouldn't take getting superior English (20 PTS) as a given - it's doable but you will need to take it seriously - these tests again are the best part of £200 to take

47 minutes ago, Andy G said:

I'm a qualified motor mechanic so know I can get us both there under a skilled visa application. 

This might not be true. You need to make sure you have the points and meet the other requirements. Even if you have the application minimum of 65 points it doesn't mean you will be invited for a 189 visa. The minimum number of points to receive an invite for the 189 is 70. They haven't invited anymore with 65 points for a few years. If you do have 65 points it doesn't mean its the end of the road - you could look at the 489 or 190 visa.

Also there are other steps depending on the visa.

How many points do you have? How have you totalled this? What visa are you looking at?

47 minutes ago, Andy G said:

You need to get all the prerequisites done first such as the skills assessment etc. Assuming you're confident with the skills assessment I would do the english first. Some people have done the skills assessment first, took longer than expected to get the points for the English exam. In the meantime their skills assessment expired so needed to repeat it.

Once you have all the prerequisites then start the EOI.

Edited by JetBlast

Thanks for the replies. That's much more helpful. 

Are all MARA legit or should I be wary? Any recommendations?

I'm hoping I can go down the 189 visa path. I'm happy I can easily achieve 70+ points but that's not my question. 

It's beginning to make much more sense now!

10 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Thanks for the replies. That's much more helpful. 

Are all MARA legit or should I be wary? Any recommendations?

I'm hoping I can go down the 189 visa path. I'm happy I can easily achieve 70+ points but that's not my question. 

It's beginning to make much more sense now!

There are good and bad in every profession is all I can say to your question about MARA.

The ones who post regularly on this site seem to have a good reputation though.

What is important is that they are MARA registered, anyone else is just a "lay person" just like you when it comes to migration 

Good luck