189 Australian Study Query

Hello All,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere. I have tried looking and struggled to find the right answer. 

So I am currently researching into the 189 Visa requirements and have come stuck on the overall education and Australian study requirement section. 

I aim to top up my FdSc to a full BSc this year in the UK. However, I am confused as to whether my BSc has to be closely related to my occupation (which I have been in for over 8 years and intend to use as my skilled Visa application). Yes it's on the skilled list. - Horse trainer. I'm considering topping up onto either an Animal Science, Wildlife Conservation or Equine science degree. Would this affect my application depending on the degree type considering my occupation is Equine based? Is it best I follow the equine top up route? 

Secondly, I have not studied in Australia nor had intended to until I had moved out there. As part of the Visa application it asks whether you've done so, is this vital to your application? Must you do it or have people been accepted without having done this?

Sorry if any of this is confusing but also thank you very much for any advice you have. 

Hana 

Edited by hanaknight12
Spelling mistakes

3 hours ago, hanaknight12 said:

I aim to top up my FdSc to a full BSc this year in the UK. 

Secondly, I have not studied in Australia nor had intended to until I had moved out there. As part of the Visa application it asks whether you've done so, is this vital to your application? Must you do it or have people been accepted without having done this?

I'm not quite clear, why are you topping up?

The way the 189 works is that you must have the qualifications and experience specified.   The experience must have been undertaken AFTER you got the qualification.  There's no benefit in having extra qualifications over and above those specified.  Applications are decided based on the points system, not on level of qualifications.

I think you'll need to do a "skills assessment" for horse trainer.   It's a test to enable Immigration to understand how your qualification equates to the Australian qualification.   I can't help you with how to get one, perhaps someone else will know.

There is no need to study in Australia and no benefit to doing so, it's just an information question.

.   The experience must have been undertaken AFTER you got the qualification. 

This isn't always true. My ACS skills assesment counted experience before my qualification. Granted it's not in the same industry but it's not a blanket rule that experience must be after the qualification.

I couldn't get extra points for it but it did mean it met the minimum requirements for the visa.

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not quite clear, why are you topping up?

The way the 189 works is that you must have the qualifications and experience specified.   The experience must have been undertaken AFTER you got the qualification.  There's no benefit in having extra qualifications over and above those specified.  Applications are decided based on the points system, not on level of qualifications.

I think you'll need to do a "skills assessment" for horse trainer.   It's a test to enable Immigration to understand how your qualification equates to the Australian qualification.   I can't help you with how to get one, perhaps someone else will know.

There is no need to study in Australia and no benefit to doing so, it's just an information question.

Hi, thank you for replying. 

My qualifications (bar one) are all after/during work periods. I continued my studies alongside my work. Same would go for topping up. As I dont have a full BSc i wanted to gain that before applying. 

Looking at the Visa it doesn't state that qualifications need to be before... sorry I found that confusing.

Thank you for your help. 

25 minutes ago, hanaknight12 said:

Hi, thank you for replying. 

My qualifications (bar one) are all after/during work periods. I continued my studies alongside my work. Same would go for topping up. As I dont have a full BSc i wanted to gain that before applying. 

But does it say you need a full degree for that occupation? If not, then getting the degree is a waste of time and money. Especially as the lists are being cut back every year and you may find the occupation isn’t on the list in a couple of years

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

But does it say you need a full degree for that occupation? If not, then getting the degree is a waste of time and money. Especially as the lists are being cut back every year and you may find the occupation isn’t on the list in a couple of years

Hi Marisa,

I see what you mean now. Thank you for clarifying.  I shall do more digging and find out.

Thank you for your advice. You've been a great help!