How long for first rental

familyof4

My family are moving out in March next year. I am looking at properties to rent for when we initially get there. 

How long would people recommend I need to book this first rental for?

We have not decided on a suburb yet, we intend on driving around until we can find where we want to live.

Also I don’t know how long or difficult it is to find a rental once you are living in Perth.

Any help would be really appreciated.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

You'll probably be fine with 4 weeks, and you can always extend if not.

The thought I had about that is, where we decide to rent, probably would be booked after our stay was up.

I didn’t want to keep moving because it would be a lot for the children to deal with.

We booked an Air BNB for 2 weeks, 10 days in we hadn't found anywhere worth even putting in an offer!  Panicked slightly and extended for another week. Next day found a place, submitted an offer and was in 2 days later.  Was able to cancel the week extension, no bother.  Does depend on the individual rental's t&c.

This was Melbourne by the way, a year ago.

12 minutes ago, unzippy said:

We booked an Air BNB for 2 weeks, 10 days in we hadn't found anywhere worth even putting in an offer!  Panicked slightly and extended for another week. Next day found a place, submitted an offer and was in 2 days later.  Was able to cancel the week extension, no bother.  Does depend on the individual rental's t&c.

We had a similar experience. Booked for 4 weeks but found a place after 3 weeks.   However, , it took about a week to get all the paperwork done (lease signed, condition photos taken etc), so we needed that extra week.   

Bear in mind also that you might find a place that's not ready to move into straight away.