Where to start?

Karlos

Hi everyone!

New here and, as can be expected, completely lost in options.

I want to move to Australia. My life in a nutshell:

- I have a vast family there (both immigrants and 'natives') who could probably provide sponsorship/assistance

Myself:

- 36 yo, single, no kids

- EU citizen

- have worked as a freelancer for about 10 yrs in IT (QA, support, project management etc., no programming), also as an editor (I have hundreds of articles published in my language), photographer and translator

- only high school diploma

- since I've been a freelancer, it could be difficult to provide proof of job experience, not sure what would even count

- I've got no money (apart from possessions I'd sell) and would need to rely on abovementioned sponsorship for housing etc. 😕

Some people told me I could just go as a refugee due to some circumstances in my country but that sounds silly and risky to me.

I've been looking at visa options etc but you know how confusing it is.

Could you point me at a direction where it would be most worthwhile to look?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Hi everyone!

New here and, as can be expected, completely lost in options.

I want to move to Australia. My life in a nutshell:

- I have a vast family there (both immigrants and 'natives') who could probably provide sponsorship/assistance

Myself:

- 36 yo, single, no kids

- EU citizen

- have worked as a freelancer for about 10 yrs in IT (QA, support, project management etc., no programming), also as an editor (I have hundreds of articles published in my language), photographer and translator

- only high school diploma

- since I've been a freelancer, it could be difficult to provide proof of job experience, not sure what would even count

- I've got no money (apart from possessions I'd sell) and would need to rely on abovementioned sponsorship for housing etc. 😕

Some people told me I could just go as a refugee due to some circumstances in my country but that sounds silly and risky to me.

I've been looking at visa options etc but you know how confusing it is.

Could you point me at a direction where it would be most worthwhile to look?

Thanks in advance!

What country are you from 

First, family has very little benefit for visas anymore. Potentially just some extra points if, you already would have qualified under the hardest visa to get.

The second thing that worries me is costs. This is not a cheap process. It is going to overall need a budget of thousands. 

It is then uncertain if you can qualify for a visa at the moment based on what you have written. Visas are skills based and require an applicant to pass a skills assessment which is an assessment of qualifications and experience against defined and strict standards. Because your situation isn't clear, you will need to speak to a registered migration agent to assist you. You will need to pay for this and it will be in 4 figures to do the application. Not including visa fees also in four figures (dollars) plus the skills assessment, police checks, medical etc. 

1 hour ago, Karlos said:

Basically the only immigration options are through the skill visas?

Well unless one is a neurosurgeon or a rich magnate...

Yes that’s right. It does sound like you will not be able to go. You are not alone, many in their thousands also want to go but cannot.  It’s just the way it is.

11 hours ago, Karlos said:

Basically the only immigration options are through the skill visas?

Well unless one is a neurosurgeon or a rich magnate...

Well, there are a few other options such as remaining relative, if all of your relatives are in Australia. But, the processing time is about 50 years. Yes, that is correct five zero years. 

15 hours ago, wrussell said:

Depending on your verifiable daily duties you might be able to obtain a positive pre-migration skills assessment in an IT related skilled occupation.

Check the ACS website.

So this is a response from a registered migration agent which indicates there might be a possible chance, it is very easy for others to suggest otherwise from their own experiences but I think the moral of the story is that in cases that are not straight forward it is always advisable to consult with a qualified expert, I would strongly urge you to follow this up, it might seem daunting to incurr costs from an expert but it might also be the difference between a visa grant or a rejection xxx

• Like 1

Well regardless, I don't have a couple grand anyway.

My relatives over there were trying to convince me that for people from the EU the process is very easy. As always I was sceptical and as always it turned out I was essentially right. How strange that people call me a pessimist.

9 minutes ago, Karlos said:

My relatives over there were trying to convince me that for people from the EU the process is very easy. As always I was sceptical and as always it turned out I was essentially right. How strange that people call me a pessimist.

I am British and in a similar situation to you. I am single and work in IT. I am a little younger and didn't have the money worries. I think my situation was slightly better than yours and it wasn't  "very easy".

Good luck with everything.