Visa process / info for beginners - easy read

Beth42

Hi all

i have been trying to wade through all the information as to whether we would be considered and what options are open if any to us and I have to say it’s so compicated.

can anyone explain in a more easy to read format what if any options would be open. Happy to have pms if easier.

thank you it’s appreciated!

Form my research, and I am just starting this.  This is the process:

Find a relevant job of the skills list, then also check the job is on your desired areas list.  Each area has a different list, SA, NSW etc.  Also note 489 visa are limited to where you can live, ie NSW you can not be in Sydney etc

Depending on the role you may need to apply for certain visa, some specify only 489

Work out your points.  State sponsorship can add 10 points on a 489

Extra points can be gained for getting a top score at ILETS or PTE 20 points

If you have enough points, 65 min, 80 for a high point entry then apply to the correct skill assessment body to get your skills assessed.

If you receive a positive skills result, apply for a EOI, and state nomination.

Once that comes back apply for the full Visa within a month.

When asked by CO get medicals and police checks done, or front load but that is risky in case the visa does not get granted for awhile as you have to enter 1 year from your medicals and police report

I found the hardest part relating my role to a job on the skills list of an area I ideally want to be in, NSW.  But doing more research we are going to apply for a 489 to SA. 

You can contact many migration agents who can assist, they normally do not charge to look at your situation and help decide on a path and if it is even possible to apply.

Will just add, if your occupation is on the medium and long term skills list, you don't need to look at state lists if you have enough points.

The age cut off is 45

If you do need state sponsorship, they may add extra criteria

At the moment the minimum points requiremwnts 65. However, you probably won't get invited to apply with that. 

If you can tell us more about yourself, such as occupation, qualification, age length of time in occupation we can probably help you more. 

5 hours ago, Beth42 said:

Hi all

i have been trying to wade through all the information as to whether we would be considered and what options are open if any to us and I have to say it’s so compicated.

can anyone explain in a more easy to read format what if any options would be open. Happy to have pms if easier.

thank you it’s appreciated!

It really depends on your specific situation.

Considering that there are well over a hundred different visa subclasses covering very diverse needs and requirements for many different purposes, there is no one size fits all beginners guide.

Over the years I have consulted with many clients who wanted to apply for one type of visa, but after assessment, identified a completely different visa pathway.

Thank you, yes it seems there are so many!!

occupation is my husband. An ex policeman who is now a cyber crime detective for a global bank. Not sure that is sought after but with cyber being the way forward and IT crime on the rise I would hope so. Information security / cyber detective 

Cissp qualification - certified information security professional 

age 38

Thanks again 

If you arrange a consultation with a registered migration agent, they can assess your situation (education, experience, age, etc.) and identify what's the best strategy for you.  It's not expensive and would get you onto the right path.  There are several good migration agents (including Raul who posted above) who post regularly on the forum and could help you get started.

1 hour ago, Beth42 said:

Thanks if I could have some names and rough costs I should be thinking are reasonable that would be great

thanks

We usually recommend the agents who post on these forums.  The fact that they offer so much free advice on these forums shows they are generous with their time.  Pinoyau.com or ozimmigration.com