How do I start the process of going de facto on my partners 457 Visa?

Brunswick91

Hey Everyone! 

I am currently on a 457 Visa, but my partner is being relocated to Sydney with his work (also on a 457).

Long story short - I am using this as an opportunity to change the field my career is in, and as such I want to go de facto on his visa.

My question is this: how do we even start the process? I am finding the IMMI and VEVO websites very difficult to navigate with no clear information for beginning this process.

If I lodge an application to go defect, does that mean I am on a bridging visa with no work rights until the defacto goes through?

Thanks in advance everyone! 

Are you both currently in Australia? The 457 is no longer available it’s been replaced (if your partners visa is a new application?)

If he is already on a 457 I’m afraid I’m not sure of the answer of how to add you to it. But bridging visas only come into effect when your current visa expires (not canceled- if the 457 is cancelled the bridging visa gets canceled with it I believe. This is usually so people can remain in Australia while they await the outcome of another visa they have applied for.)

Sorry that’s not overly helpful, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can assist.

14 hours ago, Brunswick91 said:

Hey Everyone! 

I am currently on a 457 Visa, but my partner is being relocated to Sydney with his work (also on a 457).

Long story short - I am using this as an opportunity to change the field my career is in, and as such I want to go de facto on his visa.

My question is this: how do we even start the process? I am finding the IMMI and VEVO websites very difficult to navigate with no clear information for beginning this process.

If I lodge an application to go defect, does that mean I am on a bridging visa with no work rights until the defacto goes through?

Thanks in advance everyone! 

You will need to apply for a subclass 482 as a subsequent entrant.

The bridging visa will only come into effect if your current 457 expires during the processing of the new application.

You will also need permission from your partner's employer, so best to gain that before starting the process.

Professional assistance may be wise.

Thanks for the response . I’ll be handing in my notice of resignation this week so can I go ahead and start the application to go de facto ? I have the letter of confirmation from my partners employer ready to go. My second question is am I the primary or secondary applicant when completing the application on my partners IMMI account ?