Bridging visa on 820/801

I got my tourist visa 600, detail below:

Length of stay: 3 months
Multiple entries
Last day to entry: 1 Feb 2022
No condition 8503

During 3 months my visiting in Aus, I apply visa 820/801. In the case, Bridging Visa A will be active at the end of 3 months stay OR will it be active on 1 Feb 2022?

Looking forward to hearing from you
Thanks and have a nice day

A bridging visa will take effect when the tourist visa expires. Be aware, it usually comes with the same conditions as the previous visa, so no work rights

You should be aware that if immigration believe your reason for entry is not genuine tourism, then they will refuse entry at the border

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

A bridging visa will take effect when the tourist visa expires. Be aware, it usually comes with the same conditions as the previous visa, so no work rights

You should be aware that if immigration believe your reason for entry is not genuine tourism, then they will refuse entry at the border

Spouse visas are an exception to the normal rule here -if applying for 820/801 the bridging visa A comes with full working rights.

However beware there are moves afoot to make it harder to apply from a tourist visa by making the sponsor apply for approval first which could make the process much longer and may mean the tourist visa expires before you can actually apply. Watch the forum and the immigration website carefully for the changes. 

Edited by Nemesis

The bridging Visa takes effect when the tourist visa expires as stated above.  The key is to understand what makes it expire:

1. If you enter Australia it expires 3 months from the date of entry.  unless;
  2. You leave Australia and re-enter; in which case the 3 months will start again and expire at the end of 3 months
  3. This cycle will continue until the last date of entry, so theoretically the the last possible expiry date is roughly 1st may 2022 

Bridging visa kicks in upon expiry so to get on to the bridging visa asap, then you'll need to stay in Australia (i.e. no trips to New Zealand, Bali, or wherever) for 3 months.  The bridging VISA will give you work rights if your sponsor is an Australian citizen.  You'll also be able to apply for medicare.

(these were the facts 12 months ago, not sure if things are different now)

Edited by Aussiepom

5 hours ago, Aussiepom said:

The bridging Visa takes effect when the tourist visa expires as stated above.  The key is to understand what makes it expire:

1. If you enter Australia it expires 3 months from the date of entry.  unless;
  2. You leave Australia and re-enter; in which case the 3 months will start again and expire at the end of 3 months
  3. This cycle will continue until the last date of entry, so theoretically the the last possible expiry date is roughly 1st may 2022 

Bridging visa kicks in upon expiry so to get on to the bridging visa asap, then you'll need to stay in Australia (i.e. no trips to New Zealand, Bali, or wherever) for 3 months.  The bridging VISA will give you work rights if your sponsor is an Australian citizen.  You'll also be able to apply for medicare.

(these were the facts 12 months ago, not sure if things are different now)

The sponsor does not need to be a citizen.mWhen applying for the 820/801 you get working rights regardless of whether your partner is PR or a citizen. 

On 16/01/2019 at 14:03, asddfgfg3452345 said:

I got my tourist visa 600, detail below:

Length of stay: 3 months
Multiple entries
Last day to entry: 1 Feb 2022
No condition 8503

During 3 months my visiting in Aus, I apply visa 820/801. In the case, Bridging Visa A will be active at the end of 3 months stay OR will it be active on 1 Feb 2022?

Looking forward to hearing from you
Thanks and have a nice day

Your tourist visa will expire 3 months after you entered Australia, so when you remain after the 3-month stay.  The bridging visa will then become active.