Is it worth it?

The Smith Clan

5 hours ago, The Smith Clan said:

I am thinking of travelling to Oz in 2019 looking for a sponsored state position in social work, will i be wasting my time?  

I think your best approach would be to write/email/phone possible employers first.  Government departments are limited in what they're allowed to do (just like in the UK).  If a department has approval to hire from overseas, then they're likely to consider an application from you while  you're still in the UK.  If they don't have approval to hire from overseas, then turning up on their doorstep won't help. 

6 hours ago, The Smith Clan said:

I am thinking of travelling to Oz in 2019 looking for a sponsored state position in social work, will i be wasting my time?  

ACT have sponsored the permanent RSMS 119 VISA, but it depends on the field.  Anything to do with kids is good, especially if you have some rough/deprived area UK or Irish experience.

I've heard of a few recent arrivals who got in by approaching directly when there was no campaign.  They might sponsor the application to get you through the door, but i think the days are gone when they would pay for the VISA and chuck you $5k for expenses as well.  Although ACT is a bit special...you never know what strings they can pull here.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 22:26, Marisawright said:

I think your best approach would be to write/email/phone possible employers first.  Government departments are limited in what they're allowed to do (just like in the UK).  If a department has approval to hire from overseas, then they're likely to consider an application from you while  you're still in the UK.  If they don't have approval to hire from overseas, then turning up on their doorstep won't help. 

Thanks for your reply, I am going to make a start at the same time continue with our application via agent.  Its taking so long, still awaiting outcome for my social work qualifications from AASW (submitted in Feb 18)

Some things you should consider.

1. Some occupations still need a skills assessment for a temp visa

2. It isn't a quick route. It used to be, but these days can take many months

3. If a temp visa was granted after a PR visa is granted, it will cancel the PR visa

4. There are major differences of being in Oz on a temp visa compared to a PR visa. This affects everything from buying property, to kids education to spouses finding employment. 

11 hours ago, The Smith Clan said:

Thanks for your reply, I am going to make a start at the same time continue with our application via agent.  Its taking so long, still awaiting outcome for my social work qualifications from AASW (submitted in Feb 18)

Holy cow, that's a long time!   I found this thread from last year/earlier this year, where 30 weeks seemed to be the norm.  Have you chased them up?

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/201740-aasw-skills-assessment-processing-times/?page=2

I tend to agree with VeryStormy.  If you start the sponsorship process now, it's going to take several months, and chances are your PR application will come through first - so it's not likely to be worth it.  Plus you'd better be sure to cancel the sponsorship deal promptly, since it would be horrible if your PR got approved and then the temp visa came through shortly after (which would cancel your PR!!).

Edited by Marisawright