Moving week - checklists?

desreb

Well, our shippers arrive Thursday.

I’m having a search around, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good “to go” final checklist for preparing for shipping. I’m coming up with things like cleaning furniture, making sure stuff and organised is tidy so it ends up put in the same box when shipped, putting stuff to take as baggage in a “do not ship” box, etc.

But is there a decent checklist I can refer to?

Many thanks!

D

Yeah, they are like locusts, anything out is fair game.  We ended up putting stuff in one room with a big sign on saying do not pack.

But I nipped out to the shop and left my slippers by the door, sure enough by the time I returned they had been packed.  So had the remote doorbell receiving unit, but I didn’t realise till I unpacked at the other end!

If you are shipping your washer make sure it is completely employ of water, try tipping it up there will be some inside.  Any water will make  stuff mouldy. Also fix it with the shipping bolts or the drum can be damaged.

• Like 1

Yeah, they are like locusts, anything out is fair game.  

Yeah, they come in 3 hours and we’re in a mess. I have a priority list of things to sort out, where everything is P1!

My wife booked the Airbnb from the same day as the shipping, but I’m regretting it now. We really should have given ourselves 2 clear days with our luggage in the transit house whilst we prepared our old house with the possessions for shipping.

We do still have 5 days before we fly out, but today will not be fun.

D

3 hours ago, desreb said:

Yeah, they come in 3 hours and we’re in a mess. I have a priority list of things to sort out, where everything is P1!

My wife booked the Airbnb from the same day as the shipping, but I’m regretting it now. We really should have given ourselves 2 clear days with our luggage in the transit house whilst we prepared our old house with the possessions for shipping.

We do still have 5 days before we fly out, but today will not be fun.

D

Deep breath! 

It will soon be done, even if it isn’t perfect and you can’t find everything etc it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately you are moving to a new chapter and you will be able to sort everything out in time. And breathe.........🙃

We found the odd thing they missed packing like our nearly new Tefal wok that was sat out on the bench top, and the odd thing they packed but shouldn’t....like we’d taken the bottom of a smoke alarm off and left it on the stairwell with the intention of putting a new battery in and then realised it was missing as they’d wrapped it carefully and shipped it [emoji2957] so if you can control the packing it helps....otherwise-look forward to a few weird surprises. Generally we found them to be pretty good. There were a couple of drawers and some furniture we just put a piece of A4 paper in/on to say “don’t pack please:) “ and they left those things alone.

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I just managed tonstop them packing a yellow pages. God knows what he thought I’d want that for.....🤣

Oh yes, we unpacked (from one of the big cardboard boxes) an empty box🙄

Remember, they charge by volume so it's in their interest to pack everything!

My experience - https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/199307-pss-experience/?tab=comments#comment-2373049

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 1

Well, they came, they saw, they bubble-wrapped. 130 boxes of various sizes.

So far, they missed a few minor items, but they also mistakenly took the kids’ clothes! We had several hold-all’s in a bedroom, and they took that one.

Admittedly that was the least-bad one to take - nothing a trip to Primark can’t fix quite quickly - but it goes to show. I just kept going around with a roll of masking tape and a marker writing “SHIP ” or “LEAVE” on everything. Sometimes more than once. I kept checking, and if there was any doubt, I’d put another sticker on to remove that doubt.

Masking tape and markers. Top tip. I’ll do that a day earlier next time.

The thing is, they had three guys for a 3 bed house, and towards the end you could see they were tired and thinking about rush hour and home. In those circumstances you’d expect them to make rush decisions, or the wrong ones. Paying the extra for a better-resourced team can be worth it. The guys were here from 0830-1800.

We also had much of the Ikea furniture go to ebay that day as well, but I arranged the pickups for the afternoon, when there was more space in the house, so it worked quite well.

It was chaos though - the guys did an excellent job considering. Next time we’ll box things ourselves and accept the insurance liability. I use an app called “Sortly” and it’s been really good for keeping track of what’s in which box in both Australia and our loft here.

• Like 1