NSW 190 Secondary school teacher

Suus

29 minutes ago, JDJones said:

I got a response from someone in the NSW department for education. They said that apparently someone got invited last month on 80 points, so it is still open... but seriously, 80 points?! Probably the only one invited this year. Feel completely dejected now. Never going to happen unless I do a PHd and can stop my age clock.

Wow... and that invite will most likely be ignored because that many points will get them a 189. At least we know what the cut-off is at current though. 80 points for a highly employable profession, and 75 for software engineers to manage retail.

Edited by Karstedt

On 05/04/2019 at 18:11, JDJones said:

I got a response from someone in the NSW department for education. They said that apparently someone got invited last month on 80 points, so it is still open... but seriously, 80 points?! Probably the only one invited this year. Feel completely dejected now. Never going to happen unless I do a PHd and can stop my age clock.

can I ask how did you contact the department? I was offered a permanent job at a public school and the principal is willing to wait for 2 yrs till I get my PR. I submitted a week ago my EOI with 70 (189) and 75 pts (190 NSW) howeverI havent been invited yet. Do you think my principal should call the department of education?

5 hours ago, pamoushe said:

can I ask how did you contact the department? I was offered a permanent job at a public school and the principal is willing to wait for 2 yrs till I get my PR. I submitted a week ago my EOI with 70 (189) and 75 pts (190 NSW) howeverI havent been invited yet. Do you think my principal should call the department of education?

No, with 70 points for 189 you should be invited within a round or two more. You''ll be fine.

On 05/04/2019 at 08:39, Karstedt said:

Wow... and that invite will most likely be ignored because that many points will get them a 189. At least we know what the cut-off is at current though. 80 points for a highly employable profession, and 75 for software engineers to manage retail.

Haha it's such a joke. I even said "why would anyone even take the 190 if they had that many points?" 

Did you happen to read about second applicants being able to take the English language test and their score will contribute towards the application? I'm hoping that's the case, so that my wife can do it and give us 5 more points, which will bring us back to 70 points in November.

Bit of a random question but... I'm currently waiting for my 189 to be (hopefully) granted and am off to Australia on Friday for a holiday.

If I was lucky enough to be granted whilst there would I need to leave Australia and reenter to validate the Visa? 

Thanks in advance for any replies 😉

5 hours ago, JDJones said:

No, with 70 points for 189 you should be invited within a round or two more. You''ll be fine.

Not necessarily... invites have dropped again (probably for the fiscal year) and current Iscah estimates are that 75 is the new cutoff point for recent non-pro-rata applicants. Of course that is assuming they stick with the PR slash for the coming year.

5 hours ago, JDJones said:

Haha it's such a joke. I even said "why would anyone even take the 190 if they had that many points?" 

Did you happen to read about second applicants being able to take the English language test and their score will contribute towards the application? I'm hoping that's the case, so that my wife can do it and give us 5 more points, which will bring us back to 70 points in November.

Yeah, I responded to a post on that because the wording is vague. It's not clear what exactly that will mean. It could just be a mostly across the board point inflation disadvantaging only those with a partner that does not meet that requirement. I would guess that is only around 25-30% of applicants, so I don't know that it will have much effect on us borderliners. However, that too is possibly contingent on the Lib retaining govt as it's part of their plan. Labor's shadow Immigration Minister has indicated that the last 2 years have basically been total crap and it all needs to be scrapped [https://www.shayneneumann.com.au/news/immigration-and-border-protection/]. The March 29 and April 3 releases are pretty scathing.

3 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Bit of a random question but... I'm currently waiting for my 189 to be (hopefully) granted and am off to Australia on Friday for a holiday.

If I was lucky enough to be granted whilst there would I need to leave Australia and reenter to validate the Visa? 

Thanks in advance for any replies 😉

My understanding is 'yes'. I could be outdated and I'm not sure the exact details, but I thought your visa could not be 'activated' until you leave and return and it's possible they will not even give your result while onshore (just notify you and you have to leave to get the result). But don't take that as gospel.

If you have no reason to expect anything except a grant, you can always just goto NZ for a couple weeks. It's a fantastic place and at ~$500 round trip airfare is the cheapest destination. Personally, I would just go for a good month holiday if that is the case. I love it there and if I could get PR without a job offer I would probably be turning there by now anyway.

16 hours ago, pamoushe said:

I would see if the school will nominate you. It's a rarity for employers to nominate for PR outside of food and retail, but if they are willing to wait 2 years, they might be interested enough.

And you can contact the heads of various NSW portfolios here [https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/ministers/]. I'm not sure if the Education minister actually has any say in migration though, or who in fact does rule migration decisions.

Edited by Karstedt

1 hour ago, Karstedt said:

I would see if the school will nominate you. It's a rarity for employers to nominate for PR outside of food and retail, but if they are willing to wait 2 years, they might be interested enough.

And you can contact the heads of various NSW portfolios here [https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/ministers/]. I'm not sure if the Education minister actually has any say in migration though, or who in fact does rule migration decisions.

sorry to bother, but do you have any idea how the school would nominate me? I mean who should I contact?

The link doesn't work but thx anw

On 05/04/2019 at 18:11, JDJones said:

which email did you send it to? I called the department multiple times they kept on transferring my calls to the international department! 

3 minutes ago, pamoushe said:

sorry to bother, but do you have any idea how the school would nominate me? I mean who should I contact?

The school can wade through the paperwork themselves or you can hire a migration agent... a lot of agents are crap/scammers though (and there is little recourse if you get f'd).

It's the 186 direct entry you want (if you have 3 years of experience, which at 70 points I'm assuming you are claiming at least 5 for xp at 3+ years). Basic stuff is the employer has to spend ~$500 to nominate and contribute something like ~$1200/yr (for 2 years I think) to a training fund (I think this can be avoided if they have sufficient proof of upskilling their AU workers). They are not allowed to reclaim this expense from you in any way. They also have to claim they have a full time position offering you at least market rate for 2 years. The employment agreement does not have to last the full 2 years though. If circumstances change, e.g. better job offer, management hates you, restructuring; as long as everything is amicable, it is just reported that employment has ceased and you go about your life. Proc time is listed as 12 months... better than 2 years

There could of course be 'hidden' crap I don't know about though. It's not relatively straightforward like the 189-190 and the govt is good at obscuring details...

1 minute ago, pamoushe said:

The link doesn't work but thx anw

Strange, works for me. Google 'NSW ministers', it should put you on the right track.

6 hours ago, Karstedt said:

Yeah, I responded to a post on that because the wording is vague. It's not clear what exactly that will mean. It could just be a mostly across the board point inflation disadvantaging only those with a partner that does not meet that requirement. I would guess that is only around 25-30% of applicants, so I don't know that it will have much effect on us borderliners. However, that too is possibly contingent on the Lib retaining govt as it's part of their plan. Labor's shadow Immigration Minister has indicated that the last 2 years have basically been total crap and it all needs to be scrapped [https://www.shayneneumann.com.au/news/immigration-and-border-protection/]. The March 29 and April 3 releases are pretty scathing.

I don’t think we should be buying into any of these policies until after the federal. 

The school can wade through the paperwork themselves or you can hire a migration agent... a lot of agents are crap/scammers though (and there is little recourse if you get f'd).

It's the 186 direct entry you want (if you have 3 years of experience, which at 70 points I'm assuming you are claiming at least 5 for xp at 3+ years). Basic stuff is the employer has to spend ~$500 to nominate and contribute something like ~$1200/yr (for 2 years I think) to a training fund (I think this can be avoided if they have sufficient proof of upskilling their AU workers). They are not allowed to reclaim this expense from you in any way. They also have to claim they have a full time position offering you at least market rate for 2 years. The employment agreement does not have to last the full 2 years though. If circumstances change, e.g. better job offer, management hates you, restructuring; as long as everything is amicable, it is just reported that employment has ceased and you go about your life. Proc time is listed as 12 months... better than 2 years

There could of course be 'hidden' crap I don't know about though. It's not relatively straightforward like the 189-190 and the govt is good at obscuring details...

Strange, works for me. Google 'NSW ministers', it should put you on the right track.

1) 70 points, I couldn't gain any experience points, They didn't recognise any of my experience (7 years) since I only have a master's degree in mathematics (which is is the requirement to teach mathematics in my country) and not education. But I got my superior english, age and studied in Australia for 2 yrs. 

2) I'm not gonna risk it, Im better off with 189 an 190. Fingers crossed. I submitted my EOI on 23/02/19 so I'm hoping to get an invitation soon. I'm only anxious since no one is getting an invitation according to the forums. 

3) Someone mentioned that we can gain 5 extra points for our partner's english skills, I'll be checking this too, but I doubt it's true. 

Thank you!

Edited by pamoushe

5 minutes ago, pamoushe said:

1) 70 points, I couldn't gain any experience points, They didn't recognise any of my experience (7 years) since I only have a master's degree in mathematics (which is is the requirement to teach mathematics in my country) and not education. But I got my superior english, age and studied in Australia for 2 yrs. 

2) I'm not gonna risk it, Im better off with 189 an 190. Fingers crossed. I submitted my EOI on 23/02/19 so I'm hoping to get an invitation soon. I'm only anxious since no one is getting an invitation according to the forums. 

3) Someone mentioned that we can gain 5 extra points for our partner's english skills, I'll be checking this too, but I doubt it's true. 

Thank you!

That is experience for a skills assessment. You experience may still count towards visa requirements. They are separate. But yes, employer nomination for PR has been set up in a way that makes it a very undesirably undertaking for all parties.

5 extra points for partner's English is a proposed change by the Libs. Currently your partner has to have a positive skills assessment for an occupation on the relevant SOL for the 5 points.

29 minutes ago, Karstedt said:

That is experience for a skills assessment. You experience may still count towards visa requirements. They are separate. But yes, employer nomination for PR has been set up in a way that makes it a very undesirably undertaking for all parties.

5 extra points for partner's English is a proposed change by the Libs. Currently your partner has to have a positive skills assessment for an occupation on the relevant SOL for the 5 points.

No the experience should be assessed by the assessing authority. I already asked about that. If you want to claim the points, AITSL should assess your experience. 

21 hours ago, JDJones said:

Here you go mate

The amendments introduce a revised points system for the subclass 491 visa as well as existing General Skilled Migration visas.  Points are awarded for attributes that are linked with the applicant’s ability to make the greatest economic contribution, as the key purpose of the skilled migration program is to maximise the economic benefits of migration to Australia.  The changes to the points test are to introduce:

·         more points for having a skilled spouse or de facto partner (10 points);

·         more points for applicants nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by a family member residing in regional Australia (15 points);

·         more points for having certain STEM qualifications (10 points);

·         points for applicants who do not have a spouse or de facto partner (10 points); and

·         points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English (5 points).

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00578/Explanatory Statement/Text

Edited by garrychandi

4 hours ago, garrychandi said:

Here you go mate

The amendments introduce a revised points system for the subclass 491 visa as well as existing General Skilled Migration visas.  Points are awarded for attributes that are linked with the applicant’s ability to make the greatest economic contribution, as the key purpose of the skilled migration program is to maximise the economic benefits of migration to Australia.  The changes to the points test are to introduce:

·         more points for having a skilled spouse or de facto partner (10 points);

·         more points for applicants nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by a family member residing in regional Australia (15 points);

·         more points for having certain STEM qualifications (10 points);

·         points for applicants who do not have a spouse or de facto partner (10 points); and

·         points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English (5 points).

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00578/Explanatory Statement/Text

Good find. So looks like singles (like me) would get an overall boost. Wonder which STEM quals they mean to include... I got one of the rarest.

State nom points only matter to exceed the minimum points requirements...

Anyway, could all be scrapped, or not. No date attached to that part either... assuming Nov 2019 like the other stuff in it?

On 16/04/2019 at 04:24, JDJones said:

Where do you find the info on which occupations get invited?

I'm not sure if I can say... my first response was flagged. Uh... an unofficial internet source indicating accountants and software engineers got invites. Maybe it was my sarcastic comment about it being a win for the service industry? I dunno.

Count me in too! Submitted EOI on 23rd of Jan this year with 70 points (+5 State sponsorship) but haven't heard back anything on NSW Visa-190 for Secondary school teachers. Don't even understand why the occupation is still on the list when all they are inviting is same pro-rata group that gets invited in 189 too.

75 points is now the minimum amount of points to get invited on a 189, according to the March results... It is literally never going to happen, is it? I had my eyes on the prize for when my points total jumps to 70 in July, but now I am seriously losing all hope.

The 190 isn't happening for anyone without a PhD and 20 years experience. 

The new regional visas are looking increasingly like the only route in.

Gutted.

1 hour ago, JDJones said:

75 points is now the minimum amount of points to get invited on a 189, according to the March results... It is literally never going to happen, is it? I had my eyes on the prize for when my points total jumps to 70 in July, but now I am seriously losing all hope.

Gutted.

Why the new regional visas? In July when your points go up to 70 you can apply for SA under the high points category (if that stays at 80). That would still fall under the 489 two years regional visa if invited and you apply before November 16. Then there’s also the other states with your occupation on their lists for a fall-back.

Heres one that is open for you at this very moment, with NO onshore work experience required: https://www.rdasi.org.au/regional-migration/state-sponsored-migration-489-visa

Edited by CivCdn

8 hours ago, JDJones said:

Gutted.

I think only 16 years experience (10 + 6 they throw out during assessment). So you also need to graduate by 22 and go directly to full time work before you are too old.🤪 So basically no teachers.