Need to go back to the uk to help with mum

Pamela Marks

There are a number of conditions that both you and your mum would need to meet before Carer's Allowance would be payable. Eligibility is not based on National Insurance Contributions however you do need to have lived in the UK for two of the last three years. You also need to show that you  meet the Habitual Residence test. I've attached a link to the relevant page of the government website as it sets out the conditions of eligibility, but from the information posted it seems you would probably not qualify. T x

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

30 minutes ago, tea4too said:

There are a number of conditions that both you and your mum would need to meet before Carer's Allowance would be payable. Eligibility is not based on National Insurance Contributions however you do need to have lived in the UK for two of the last three years. You also need to show that you  meet the Habitual Residence test. I've attached a link to the relevant page of the government website as it sets out the conditions of eligibility, but from the information posted it seems you would probably not qualify. T x

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

If you do go, make sure your mum gets all the allowances she is entitled to. My mum received an attendance allowance for a mumber of years before she died, because she was registered "low vision" There used to be two different rates depending on how much help uou needed - when mum got the full allowance I think it was about eighty pounds a week.  Good luck with your move, its a difficult decision to make.

• Like 1

Good luck, we are doing it now for my 94 year old dad.  We have never applied for a carer's allowance (been here 7 years on Friday!) but my dad gets an Attendance Allowance.  It isnt the easiest gig in town but I have found there is quite a deal of support out there if you ask for it.  There are dementia support groups, exercise groups, complex case management supports - more than we actually choose to access I am sure. We've still got our Aussie place and basically just arrived with a backpack, not intending to stay all those years ago.  It's pretty stressful basically just sitting round waiting for someone to die but that's the bottom line really.

I wish you all the best with it, it wont be easy but your conscience will be clear!

• Like 3

On 30 August 2018 at 07:14, Quoll said:

Good luck, we are doing it now for my 94 year old dad.  We have never applied for a carer's allowance (been here 7 years on Friday!) but my dad gets an Attendance Allowance.  It isnt the easiest gig in town but I have found there is quite a deal of support out there if you ask for it.  There are dementia support groups, exercise groups, complex case management supports - more than we actually choose to access I am sure. We've still got our Aussie place and basically just arrived with a backpack, not intending to stay all those years ago.  It's pretty stressful basically just sitting round waiting for someone to die but that's the bottom line really.

I wish you all the best with it, it wont be easy but your conscience will be clear!

Still walking the hard yards Quoll? ... I feel for you because as you say, its not a great situation to be in. I am so glad we didnt leave my mum ... I dont think I'd have ever forgiven myself. Hope its all going reasonably smoothly for you.

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 1