Increase in migrant intake ?

Areyousure

Mr Morrison is removing immigration and citizenship from the Home Affairs portfolio, giving those responsibilities to new minister David Coleman.

"We need a strong focus on our immigration program so it brings the skills and the harmony and the unity that we want from the program," Mr Morrison said.

"The minister for home affairs will focus on everything from cybersecurity to law enforcement to border of protection, security agencies, and will focus more principally on security tasks."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Mr Morrison is removing immigration and citizenship from the Home Affairs portfolio, giving those responsibilities to new minister David Coleman.

"We need a strong focus on our immigration program so it brings the skills and the harmony and the unity that we want from the program," Mr Morrison said.

"The minister for home affairs will focus on everything from cybersecurity to law enforcement to border of protection, security agencies, and will focus more principally on security tasks."

Don't know why they would need an increase? Is Australia booming again? Or are they just trying to manufacture growth through immigration. That's my problem with controlled immigration. You don't know who is controlling it or why. Much better to have market controlled immigration, or even controlled by the federal bank. Immigration and interest rates are both useful in managing the economy and shouldn't be politicalised.

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

Don't know why they would need an increase? Is Australia booming again? Or are they just trying to manufacture growth through immigration. That's my problem with controlled immigration. You don't know who is controlling it or why. Much better to have market controlled immigration, or even controlled by the federal bank. Immigration and interest rates are both useful in managing the economy and shouldn't be politicalised.

I dnt think they would increase the limit. But would try to take 190,000 a year as apposed to the 163,000, taken last year. Dutton definitely wanted to decrease it further in my opinion. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

I dnt think they would increase the limit. But would try to take 190,000 a year as apposed to the 163,000, taken last year. Dutton definitely wanted to decrease it further in my opinion. 

In all honesty I can't work it out.

He is portrayed as a moderate, but was central in stopping the boats, which I agree was successful, but I think the immigration centres could have been handled better. Regardless, I think you would struggle to call this anything but right wing policy.

But then immigration is a tricky thing. Stop the boats to appeal to the masses makes sense. But it also makes sense to usher in immigrants through the front door to keep the economy ticking over.

Smoke and mirrors.

Some people cast all non white immigration into the same basket, while obviously it is more complicated than that. It's a balancing act though. I'll guess we will see how he pulls it off.

9 minutes ago, newjez said:

In all honesty I can't work it out.

He is portrayed as a moderate, but was central in stopping the boats, which I agree was successful, but I think the immigration centres could have been handled better. Regardless, I think you would struggle to call this anything but right wing policy.

But then immigration is a tricky thing. Stop the boats to appeal to the masses makes sense. But it also makes sense to usher in immigrants through the front door to keep the economy ticking over.

Smoke and mirrors.

Some people cast all non white immigration into the same basket, while obviously it is more complicated than that. It's a balancing act though. I'll guess we will see how he pulls it off.

I think a big difference is that asylum seekers would not contribute to the economy/society to the extend skilled migrants would. In general skilled migrants would be more educated, speaking English and generally wealthy as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

I think a big difference is that asylum seekers would not contribute to the economy/society to the extend skilled migrants would. In general skilled migrants would be more educated, speaking English and generally wealthy as well. 

Of course. It's win win. But not everyone sees it from an economic standpoint. They need to appease the economy and the electorate.

Edited by newjez

Just now, newjez said:

Of course. It's win win. But not everyone sees it from an economic standpoint.

True. The government should definitely do more to encourage migrants/citizens to move to a ther cities and states. Then it definitely should be a win win for everyone. 

Easier said than done tho. I guess they could start building more infrastructure in other cities. They definitely need to develop Northern Australia, including Northern Western Australia. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2018 at 19:01, Areyousure said:

True. The government should definitely do more to encourage migrants/citizens to move to a ther cities and states. Then it definitely should be a win win for everyone. 

Easier said than done tho. I guess they could start building more infrastructure in other cities. They definitely need to develop Northern Australia, including Northern Western Australia. 

A % of the GDP should be allocated for developing Northern Australia, it has been ignored for far too long.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emily6789 said:

A % of the GDP should be allocated for developing Northern Australia, it has been ignored for far too long.

Tbh, in my humble opinion, I feel that a new state of Northern Queensland should be created, so that it could be developed. It already accommodates a large population with 2/3 cities of 150k. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 13:42, Areyousure said:

Tbh, in my humble opinion, I feel that a new state of Northern Queensland should be created, so that it could be developed. It already accommodates a large population with 2/3 cities of 150k. 

Well, if they phased out FIFO you would probably double the population in the north. But they need more industry there. Maybe they could make it a tax haven?

• Like 1

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 16:56, Areyousure said:

Not necessarily wealthy. Especially after paying for everything emigration takes.

We were lucky in that we made a lot of money from our UK house sale that covered the costs of coming. More or less started from scratch though by the time we'd paid for everything.

4 minutes ago, newjez said:

Well, if they phased out FIFO you would probably double the population in the north. But they need more industry there. Maybe they could make it a tax haven?

They would have to pay people twice as much as they do on FIFO to actually live in some of those places. I wouldn't want to settle my family in Kalgoorlie, let alone some of the more out of the way places. A lot of the jobs are short term too. Fine during construction but not so many needed once in production.

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

They would have to pay people twice as much as they do on FIFO to actually live in some of those places. I wouldn't want to settle my family in Kalgoorlie, let alone some of the more out of the way places. A lot of the jobs are short term too. Fine during construction but not so many needed once in production.

Yes, but FIFO stops the establishment of infrastructure. But you have a point. That's why you don't have the issues the UK mining towns had.

Possibility tax havens then. Encourage an Asian banking empire in the north of Australia? 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Not necessarily wealthy. Especially after paying for everything emigration takes.

We were lucky in that we made a lot of money from our UK house sale that covered the costs of coming. More or less started from scratch though by the time we'd paid for everything.

Skilled migrants are wealthy skill wise too and most find it easier to intergrate much more easily into the society. I have nothing against asylum seekers, but they should be a a very small % of the skilled immigrant intake. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 22:42, Areyousure said:

With most of the mining royalties coming from the northern mines of Queensland, would any government agree to a seperate State?

But I do like the idea 

and have done for the past 20 years.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

With most of the mining royalties coming from the northern mines of Queensland, would any government agree to a seperate State?

But I do like the idea 

and have done for the past 20 years.

Cheers, Bobj.

Northern Queenslanders should push for a referendum for a separate state. Should vote for parliamentarians who support the call for a separate state.

Northern Queensland has a bigger population, Population growth, GDP and bigger cities than Tasmania or the Northern Territory but are underrepresented in Canberra. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Northern Queenslanders should push for a referendum for a separate state. Should vote for parliamentarians who support the call for a separate state.

Northern Queensland has a bigger population, Population growth, GDP and bigger cities than Tasmania or the Northern Territory but are underrepresented in Canberra. 

I've heard the same argument for WA. Hope it never happens though. Would create more problems than it would solve. WA gets a terrible deal on GST but I guess it'll even up over time.

I'd rather stay as one united country under the good old Queen. There will be times when WA and Queensland will need a handout from other states.

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I've heard the same argument for WA. Hope it never happens though. Would create more problems than it would solve. WA gets a terrible deal on GST but I guess it'll even up over time.

I'd rather stay as one united country under the good old Queen. There will be times when WA and Queensland will need a handout from other states.

You have misunderstood us, what I meant is a new state within the commonwealth. North Queensland breaking away from Queensland to form a new state. ?

• Like 1