Whooping cough for visitor

Wonderingaloud

Sorry slightly off topic post.

I am pregnant and my mother in law is here visiting for the next few months.

She has not had a whooping cough vaccine and I know it’s recommended for persons who will be in close contact with newborns/young infants.

Does anyone know what the approx cost will be for her. I don’t expect she’ll get any rebate, she is a British citizen.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

She has not had a whooping cough vaccine and I know it’s recommended for persons who will be in close contact with newborns/young infants.

Does anyone know what the approx cost will be for her. I don’t expect she’ll get any rebate, she is a British citizen.

Thanks 

Have you asked her how she feels about being vaccinated? What about German Measles, Mumps and anything else she may never have been vaccinated against?

And I would imagine she'd have to pay full price if she got it in Australia.

Edited by Nemesis

4 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Thanks 

No idea on costs, perhaps ask your doctor.  As above, she could get anything that is not ideal around babies as could you and everyone else that comes into contact with the baby.  I have known of only one person in my many years of life that had whooping cough so I think maybe you're worrying too much.  Your baby will come across many people, you can't vaccinate all of them 

Edited by Tulip1

Thanks 

I had a Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (whooping cough) combination vaccine before I returned to Africa and that was about $60.
I needed the script from the doctor so paid the GP appointment ($80 where I go) but I was able to return with the vaccine to be injected without paying again. So I think it was $140 all up....

No idea on costs, perhaps ask your doctor.  As above, she could get anything that is not ideal around babies as could you and everyone else that comes into contact with the baby.  I have known of only one person in my many years of life that had whooping cough so I think maybe you're worrying too much.  Your baby will come across many people, you can't vaccinate all of them 

I saw a number of whooping cough cases in Brisbane almost 3 years ago to this day!
I was working as a consultant, 2 of my close colleagues had it and they had caught it from another colleague who had been working at the office of an aged care company where it was doing the rounds quite spectacularly.

Having seen it first hand and seeing as everyone is pitching personal opinions, I’d absolutely want to protect a child from it...
  • Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

They do say whooping cough figures are dropping and although the chances are probably one in a million I understand how protective we can be over our babies.

A lot of the chemists can do them these days so it may save your mum the dr’s fee, try TerryWhites’s https://www.terrywhitechemmart.com.au/health-programs/whooping-cough/

The last I heard there were two, so if it’s just whooping cough you need, maybe ask for the cheaper one around $40 - $60 just shop around.

I am presuming you know you can also get the vaccine free in the third trimester and this will protect both you and the baby and would save your mum having something she may not want.

What does the MiL herself think though? Having seen a relative suffer lifelong effects as a result of the whooping cough vaccine I would make sure that she gets a full check up and proper advice before getting herself injected with a dose of it. Make sure there are no contra-indications  why was she not vaccinated as a child, for instance? 

Thankyou all.

I have had the pertussis vaccine myself when 28 weeks. I understand this offers some protective factors to Bub until s/he is old enough to get 6 week vaccine.

MIL does not have a problem with getting vaccinated, she will have had the usual schedule at some point but has not had anything for a number of years and I understand pertussis is one that is highly recommended to have as a booster if planning to be around newborns for any period. 

I understand I can’t protect my baby from everything and everyone, but statistically s/he will be in contact with and therefore more likely to get something from immediate family. This is the reason it is recommended for close family, and grandparents (in addition to parents) have been identified as a likely transmission pathway in cases of pertussis over the last 15 years.

With the whole vaccination debate quite ripe (still) and with more parents choosing not to vaccinate their children (their choice)  one can depend less and less on herd immunity and is the reason IMO we have seen a rise in cases over the years. As a health professional I have also seen babies with all sorts of things and knowing whooping cough is preventable I am happy to follow current recommendations on the subject. I don’t want to get into a vaccination debate.

As MIL is a visitor I fully expect to be hit with the full cost, I just wondered where she could get it and the approx cost. I’ll look into Terry whites, thanks Pom Queen.