How different areas of Oz differ?

Chasing a dream

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was anyone who has lived in different cities/places/areas in Oz and how they found they differed from each other? Hope that makes sense. We have been in Port Stephens NSW for 5 months and finding parts of it very rural, parts of it very quiet (very large retirement community) and obviously in the holidays it gets vibey and busy. It is so beautiful here and we do love the beaches but sometimes wonder if we would feel more comfortable in a built up suburb that is a little more modern and has a bit more going on. 

Hope that all makes sense to someone. ?

13 minutes ago, Chasing a dream said:

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was anyone who has lived in different cities/places/areas in Oz and how they found they differed from each other? Hope that makes sense. We have been in Port Stephens NSW for 5 months and finding parts of it very rural, parts of it very quiet (very large retirement community) and obviously in the holidays it gets vibey and busy. It is so beautiful here and we do love the beaches but sometimes wonder if we would feel more comfortable in a built up suburb that is a little more modern and has a bit more going on. 

Over the years we have lived in Perth, Sydney and we are now retired and living on the north west coast of Tasmania.  Each place very different to the other.   I thought Perth was a lovely place.  I had two babies there and we were happy.  Unfortunately there was an economic downturn so we moved to Sydney and we were also happy there.  The boys were in good schools and there was plenty going on there to keep us occupied but I always wanted to move to a much quieter place to live.  We came to Tassie often on holidays and I wanted to live here but as we had good jobs - sons at uni - we decided it was best to wait until we retired.  Very happy here.  Sons now both working overseas.  Port Stephens is lovely.  I have very good friends who retired there.  Wife wants to now move to Tassie but husband isn't so sure.  Have you visited Newcastle?.  It may be a bit more vibey.   There is Sydney but it is so expensive to rent/buy.

• Like 1

Every state/territory is totally different in more ways than most imagine.  Australia isn’t a country in the normal sense, it’s more like a franchise.  Oh and Lived/worked in four of them and significant time in all.  

47 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Every state/territory is totally different in more ways than most imagine.  Australia isn’t a country in the normal sense, it’s more like a franchise.  Oh and Lived/worked in four of them and significant time in all.  

So what is your opinion of each one? Would love to know.

2 hours ago, Skani said:

I've lived rurally in two states - NSW and Tasmania - and in 3 different cities - Sydney, Adelaide and Hobart - and they are all different.  Are you restricted by the need for employment? 

No we are not restricted, allowed to work anywhere but obviously would have to be able to find work where we live.  So I guess yes. Also worried about putting the kids through more change unless I feel confident it will be a better place for us! Always harder with kids.....especially big kids. 

Edited by Chasing a dream

1 hour ago, Chasing a dream said:

Impossible to say as everyone is different.  I wouldn’t live in some eg Qld, WA, NT, SA even though I went to school in SA.  Did spend 2 years in the Newcastle/Port Stephens area and it would be one of the two areas that suits us.  Look at your interests and how that state/territory  can fulfil it.  Eg it say you have a love of Rugby League you probably wouldn’t move to the West Coast, likewise if you can’t handle humidity don’t look at NT or Qld.  Lack of basic research is the undoing of most immigrants imho.

• Like 1

There are many differences in attitudes and lifestyle within Australia which isn't surprising really when you think about it because it is so large and people from different backgrounds have moved into different areas establishing their own cultures and attitudes.  There are certain similarities of course but  there are some areas I, personally, just know would not suit our family. Same as in the UK, 

7 hours ago, Chasing a dream said:

Hi,

Well, it is a small country town, so why wouldn't it be quiet and rural?  

Any small town along the coast is going to be like that.  There's not much work outside the major cities so you're always going to have a large older community.

You're very close to Newcastle so I assume you've been there and dismissed it - can you explain why that wouldn't work for you?  

4 hours ago, Chasing a dream said:

My work will likely limit me to capital cities for the next few years.

Realistically I would not have traded London for Sydney and Melbourne....not worth the move for something that has been described as comparable by recruiters for lesser career opportunities in my field.  90 minutes in traffic in Sydney on Friday underlined that for me, as did the Melbourne weather in December ?

Perth / Adelaide / Hobart / Darwin are short on opportunities for me, but of these we have been to Adelaide but wouldn't tick the box for us, and nothing would draw us to the others.  Guess that means Brisbane or bust for us!