Can I come over with my son

Hi I am an experienced Sales and finance manager for Vauxhall but don't have a degree. I am wanting to come over with my family for either 22 months or 2 years as my son has signed for a rugby team. Can me and my wife come over on my sons visa? 

55 minutes ago, Alan hardy said:

Hi I am an experienced Sales and finance manager for Vauxhall but don't have a degree. I am wanting to come over with my family for either 22 months or 2 years as my son has signed for a rugby team. Can me and my wife come over on my sons visa? 

Almost certainly not. What visa does your son hold?

No, you can't come over on your son's visa. There are no visas that include parents. 

There are parents' visas but the waiting time for them to be approved is longer than the time you want to stay!   To stay for 2 years, a TSS visa would be perfect (that's where an employer sponsors you or your wife on a temporary visa) but I have  no idea whether you'd be eligible, and then you'd have the problem of finding an employer to offer the sponsorship. 

To answer your title question, yes you can come over with your son, however unless you obtain your own visa allowing you to work, it'll be on a much shorter non-working visitor visa.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/form/immi-faqs/what-visa-do-i-need-to-visit-australia

What age is your son?

Does your company have offices in Australia? If so that might be something you could explore.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Ozzie said:

To answer your title question, yes you can come over with your son, however unless you obtain your own visa allowing you to work, it'll be on a much shorter non-working visitor visa.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/form/immi-faqs/what-visa-do-i-need-to-visit-australia

What age is your son?

Does your company have offices in Australia? If so that might be something you could explore.

These are holiday / visitor visas. I believe the OP was asking for a visa including work rights 

8 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

These are holiday / visitor visas. I believe the OP was asking for a visa including work rights 

Yes they are. As I mentioned in my message I was answering his 'title question' that yes of course he could come over with his son. I then also answered that unless he has his own visa allowing him to work, he will only be able to obtain a shorter non-working visitor visa. As others have answered, no he won't be able to travel on his son's visa, it's always good to give advice about what possible other options there are.

Thanks guys. I have been looking into all possible ways of me staying there for either 12 or 24 months. I think the best way for me is to look for a sponsor. I am finding it quite hard to find a sponsor over here so I think it may be a good idea going out there for 2 weeks on holiday and looking for a sponsor while I am out there. I have been in sales management for 16 years so I believe I have something to offer in terms of employment but don't have any classwork qualifications as such other than GSCS obtained at school. Do you think going out there on holiday and looking for a sponsor would be better?

I think you will struggle to get a sponsor.  They are lengthy and very costly to companies and they have to show they cannot fill the position within Australia. I don't doubt your qualities but there must be many in Oz that have similar experience.

Hi, I though so nut I need to try. I was reading that any sponsor would need to pay certain fees and flights Etc.. I have said on emails that I have sent out that I would pay them myself in return for work. I am also the business and finance manager but again don't have any qualification as such only work experience. I know this sound like cheating but is there some kind of degrees out there in what I do that I can do in quick time?

50 minutes ago, Alan hardy said:

Hi, I though so nut I need to try. I was reading that any sponsor would need to pay certain fees and flights Etc.. I have said on emails that I have sent out that I would pay them myself in return for work. I am also the business and finance manager but again don't have any qualification as such only work experience. I know this sound like cheating but is there some kind of degrees out there in what I do that I can do in quick time?

I'm not 100% certain but I seem to recall it's illegal for you to pay the employer's costs, it's a rule to prevent employers exploiting people on sponsored visas. 

It's not  the cost that discourages employers.  They have to advertise the position locally first, to prove they can't find a local candidate.  Then they have to submit a whole pile of evidence to immigration to prove they're fulfilling all their obligations.  It's a hassle, so naturally they're going to hire a local if they can find one - so the question is, is there a shortage of people with your skills in the part of Australia your son is going to?  

It is illegal for sponsors to not pay for the application. It isn't also as easy as that. First, these days many companies have a no sponsor policy. Then, if if someone wants to sponsor you, it can be a very lengthy process. A fair few months. Also, not every company can sponsor and the position needs to have been advertised locally and they prove they haven't been able to fill it. Hence why now, the temporary visa section of the forum is one of the quiestest. Simply not as many willing to do it. Likewise,money have to by law pay for your flights back at the end of the visa. 

Also, have you checked if you are even eligible? Is your occupation on one of the skilled lists? 

Also, if immigration realised that you were there to job hunt, they may refuse entry and ban you from further visas for three years. 

• Like 2

Hi Alan. Just so say firstly congrats! To your son that is, you all must be very excited. As you can see it can be difficult to obtain a visa. As mentioned in my post a few above I've given some options if you wanted to have an extended visit. Wish you and your family all the very best.