High Points for 489/190 - South Australia

6 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Thanks for the update. I have everything (I think) loaded. So a grant might be around the corner.

What date did you put in your application please?

I submitted my application on the 29th of October so 4 weeks ago roughly. CO allocation was a lot quicker that I was expecting.

13 hours ago, JetBlast said:
13 hours ago, Jonno1981 said:
Do they prioritise visa grants with higher points? I thought this only applied to invites?

I'm not sure really. Unless it's occupation. I haven't been assigned a CO yet and I applied before. There must be some reason.

CO assigned today. Request for outstanding health and police checks.

It appears they are motoring through applications.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonno1981 said:

@JetBlast

Just thinking you may not have heard anything from the CO because you front loaded everything. We have outstanding documents to submit hence initial contact.

They could well be reviewing your case as we speak and have no need to liaise with you until a decision is made? Fingers crossed.

You have a good point. I didn't think of that. 

I am at a funny point in my life. I am not enjoying my job like I used to and ready for the change. Seems to make this drag on that bit longer.

20 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am at a funny point in my life. I am not enjoying my job like I used to and ready for the change. Seems to make this drag on that bit longer.

I can relate.

I’ve wanted to live in Oz since first visiting in 2005. Pushed the dream aside for many years because of loyalty to family, but there hasn’t been a day gone by that I haven’t thought about emigrating.

When our son was born in 2016 my perspective changed and slowly I came to the realisation that Australia was where we should be.

In May 2017, I started the process and have struggled to motivate myself for anything that wasn’t to do with Oz since.

Like you, I’m ready for a change and looking forward to the challenge of starting from scratch. 

Edited by Jonno1981
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonno1981 said:

I can relate.

I’ve wanted to live in Oz since first visiting in 2005. Pushed the dream aside for many years because of loyalty to family, but there hasn’t been a day gone by that I haven’t thought about emigrating.

When our son was born in 2016 my perspective changed and slowly I came to the realisation that Australia was where we should be.

In May 2017, I started the process and have struggled to motivate myself for anything that wasn’t to do with Oz since.

Like you, I’m ready for a change and looking forward to the challenge of starting from scratch. 

Definitely can relate!

We lived and worked in Adelaide for 9 months while travelling back in 2010 / 11 and loved it. We've been trying to get back ever since and Sophie re-trained into a profession that was on the list so we could do it while I kept working various jobs to pay the bills. We were about to start the process for a 457 back in 2017 and Sophie had a job lined up and everything then literally 2 days later (April 2017), Australia announced the big changes to the 457 and we could no longer do it as watchmaker is on the secondary list.

Been waiting for this for years and after coming so close last year, we thought we'd be there already.

Then a week or two to get the visa app in, then medicals and police checks sorted before the CO is assigned (hopefully) so we have a chance of a direct grant. It's all hopes and dreams at the moment but fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Question for everyone:

I know it's impossible to know for sure, but how long are you expecting everything to take from the date of your visa grant to the date you step foot in Adelaide?

We're hoping for 3-4 months.

Need to sell the flat but we have a really great city center location, secure parking space and it was only on the market for a couple of days before we snapped it up when we bought it so hoping for a similar situation. Everything else like shipping, booking flights etc can easily be done in 3 months. We definitely want to be out by Oct / Nov time though, if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question for everyone:
I know it's impossible to know for sure, but how long are you expecting everything to take from the date of your visa grant to the date you step foot in Adelaide?
Need to sell the flat but we have a really great city center location, secure parking space and it was only on the market for a couple of days before we snapped it up when we bought it so hoping for a similar situation. Everything else like shipping, booking flights etc can easily be done in 3 months. We definitely want to be out by Oct / Nov time though, if possible.
To be honest I am not sure. I am waiting for have a small operation on my eye lid. It's hinges on that really.

You have just reminded me to chase that up.
  • Like 1

CO contacted us again, everything is fine (we assume) but the police checks expired so new ones have been requested. MA thinks this is it, once we provide these checks (along with the certified translations) we should be given a final decision (presumably a positive one).

I'll come back with our story after a decision is reached. But for us, it's been a 4 years journey...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Question for everyone:

As soon as possible for us, but it all depends on how long it takes to sell our house.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Question for everyone:

Short version of our story. I moved from the UK to Canada with my parents at 18. After having my own children in my 20's I wanted to pursue nursing. Canadian universities did not give me full credit for my UK education, so I couldn't become a RN. Applied  to Australia and had multiple offers for the Bachelor of Nursing. I went with my 3 children to the far north coast of NSW, Lismore and studied nursing.  Family stuff came up and I couldn't stay in Oz after my degree so I ended up back in Canada. I have been back for 10 years this November. We want to go back to Oz, 2 out of my 3 girls are coming and cant wait (oldest is happy here). My husband has never been to Australia (He is Canadian), He is so excited for a fresh start and no more 7 months of winter. The  rough plan is :

obtain visa March/April

Sell house June, July, Aug

End of Aug/Sept all move  to Adelaide

My husband Chris will come back to Canada if he has a contract till the end of 2019. He will join us before xmas 2020. He is a systems analyst (IT).

Nice reading everyone's potential plans.

I am quite simple really. I live at home still (I know!). I have been doing this Australia thing for a long time. I first when to Australia when I was 16, I traveled alone to see relatives. Since then I have been many times over the years. I did a working holiday visa when I was 20 - 21, my 21st I was sailing around the whitsunday islands. I first contacted my migration agent about moving when I was 18 but I was eligible at the time. I needed to build up more work experience and get some official qualifications under my belt. I did this but I then struggled with the English exam - I was never good at it in school. It took me around 18 months to get my marks. I never moved out from home because this was on the cards but because of the delays it just got longer and longer. But the good side is I can leave whenever as I have no place to sell etc. I should be on a 3 month notice at work but they made a mistake and it is 4 weeks instead. Its just my operation eye that is holding me back now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am quite simple really. I live at home still (I know!). I have been doing this Australia thing for a long time. I first when to Australia when I was 16, I traveled alone to see relatives. Since then I have been many times over the years. I did a working holiday visa when I was 20 - 21, my 21st I was sailing around the whitsunday islands. I first contacted my migration agent about moving when I was 18 but I was eligible at the time. I needed to build up more work experience and get some official qualifications under my belt. I did this but I then struggled with the English exam - I was never good at it in school. It took me around 18 months to get my marks. I never moved out from home because this was on the cards but because of the delays it just got longer and longer. But the good side is I can leave whenever as I have no place to sell etc. I should be on a 3 month notice at work but they made a mistake and it is 4 weeks instead. Its just my operation eye that is holding me back now.

@JetBlast The Whitsundays are beautiful! I would love to take a trip up there. I did go to Cairns and Port Douglas though and the sea water was 27degrees, just amazing. I think you will be the first one to Adelaide. Do you have any Idea where you will base yourself when you first arrive?

I would go again in a heart beat - it was amazing. I have family in Brisbane as well. I am close to them, I see them more than family who live 5 mins away from me. I love Australia and Asia as well so being in AU is a perfect place really.

I have a rough idea. I plan to fly into Brisbane and stay will relatives for a month. I can have a break, see the family and get over the jet lag. I then plan to get an AirBNB in Adelaide for a month and use that time to find a more permanent place to live and start find a job. Where I want to go I am not sure. I am thinking maybe a 2 bed apartment in the CBD but I would also like the space to spread out and would like to park my car on my own drive so maybe the suburbs. I need to decide really.

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

Sounds like a great plan. I've been to Brisbane a few times in the past. People I went to high school with in the UK live just outside Brisbane. Have you been to Byron Bay in NSW? I used to live inland about 30mins in a small village called Dunoon.

We will have to find temporary accommodation in Adelaide area first then a long term rental. We are looking for a suburb close to commute to either University of South Australia or Flinders in Bedford Park. My youngest will be starting Uni and I think its best to base ourselves around her university (my husband may also be attending uni). I have always had a 30 min commute to work so driving 30 or 45 mins isn't a problem. Adelaide transit system looks really good, so I think it will be much better than where we live now. I do want to live somewhere with trees and birds, as I hate being in a concrete jungle.