Can you apply for partner visa 820-801 whilst in Aus on a tourist visa?

I'm hearing from family members doing their own research that my partner and I can skip the prospective marriage visa/partner 820/801 combo, by just entering aus on a 3-month tourist visa and immediately applying for the partner 820/801 visa whilst there. For me, it seems risky, considering how expensive it is. Our other option is the partner 309/100 (applying from outside of Aus), taking roughly the same amount of time to process as the prospective marriage 300.
Is it actually possible? Has anyone done this or heard of anyone doing it? It could save a lot of hassle and money, but I'd hate to move over to Aus to apply for a visa, have it not work out and have to move back out again. This is too much! Thanks for any help, I've never felt so confused about anything :S

8 hours ago, timandra1991 said:

I'm hearing from family members doing their own research that my partner and I can skip the prospective marriage visa/partner 820/801 combo, by just entering aus on a 3-month tourist visa and immediately applying for the partner 820/801 visa whilst there. For me, it seems risky, considering how expensive it is. Our other option is the partner 309/100 (applying from outside of Aus), taking roughly the same amount of time to process as the prospective marriage 300.
Is it actually possible? Has anyone done this or heard of anyone doing it? It could save a lot of hassle and money, but I'd hate to move over to Aus to apply for a visa, have it not work out and have to move back out again. This is too much! Thanks for any help, I've never felt so confused about anything :S

309/100 offshore is currently taking about 3 months to process.

820/801 onshore 2-3 years. 

Seems an obvious answer to me

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Wow, that's insane! How do you know? On the gov website it says 13-18months so I was just going off that. Thanks ?

3 hours ago, timandra1991 said:

Wow, that's insane! How do you know? On the gov website it says 13-18months so I was just going off that. Thanks ?

From People posting their progress on boards like this. The assumption being that you will be applying in London.  Also be aware that tourist visas are just that and lying to Immigration about your intent on entering the country is frowned upon. You run the risk, if they think you are not a genuine tourist, of being turned around at the border and sent home.  Just do it the right way, much easier.  If your partner doesn’t have their UK citizenship, it’d be a smart move for them to get that before you go too.

Speaking from a 300-820 combo perspective, it's not as daunting at it seems. First you don't pay the full partner visa fee both times (you pay around $1200/1300 for the 820 - granted, it's still a sum, and between that, the fees for the various checks etc, it all adds up), secondly you have to apply for the 820 so quickly after your 300 that it's just a question of sending the same evidence with updates (marriage certificate, new statements etc), so it doesn't take nearly as long to gather the evidence; also the 820 seems to be granted quite quickly when it comes on the back of a PMV (4 months in our case).

That said, we went this route because we didn't fulfill all the criteria for a 309 (and didn't want to risk the tourist visa-820 visa route). But if you do, a 309 sounds like a sensible option.

On 30/06/2018 at 00:50, Nemesis said:

I hope about 3 months is still the London timeline... 106 days and waiting!  Not seen any grants for a couple of months.