Resident Return Visa

Tom Brody

12 hours ago, Milcey W said:

Hi Tom, just checking, you lodged your visa in Australia, flew out and received the decision while you were offshore? (which took 120 days?)

Hello Milcey,

Thanks for the contact. Yea I was still living in the UK, due to circumstances incurred in the last couple of years, and my RRV was due to run out. So I came to Perth to try and speak to someone in the IMMI office and give them some nice Irish blarney, but was told just apply online and there would be no problem. So I did that, and lodged and paid the application fee. I got an immediate acknowledgement and receipt of payment and didn't hear another thing until the application was granted, 4 months later. I called a few times by phone but got no joy.  Nothing wrong with the application or anything, and they didn't need or request anything else after the application was lodged.  It's just applications like mine were kind of  bottom of the pile.  Just one of those things.  At the time they said applications that didn't have the required residency days would take up to 14 weeks, which was a bit of a bummer at the time and a shock.  But there you go. 

Got there in the end.  This process or assessment they have on residency days appears to be key now to the processing times of an RRV, (days resided in Australia in the past 2 years) ?? I'm sure a knowledgeable agent will correct me on any inaccuracies in my wording, so maybe good to speak to an agent (MARN) if you have any doubts.    

Best of luck with everything,  I hope things work out for you and your family, 

Regards,

TOM

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

Do you know if the RRV can be applied from off-shore?

Also, as part of your application did you submit any proof for substantial ties to Australia? If so, can you give some details.

I have applied for a RRV before a month. As you would have guessed, I am still waiting for a response. As proof of my ties, I submitted only a document saying I have friends in Australia and have plans to migrate in future. Do you have any opinion on my chances for my application to be successful?

Thanks,

Ranga

3 hours ago, rangafella said:

Do you know if the RRV can be applied from off-shore?

Yes, you can apply from offshore, many many people do.

Having friends in Australia is not a "substantial tie".  Having an intention to migrate is not a substantial tie either.  You need to have EITHER family members in Australia OR an established home/job in Australia.  

45 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, you can apply from offshore, many many people do.

Having friends in Australia is not a "substantial tie".  Having an intention to migrate is not a substantial tie either.  You need to have EITHER family members in Australia OR an established home/job in Australia.  

There are many ways to demonstrate "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia" of which these are three. It would be sensible, especially if the case is superficially weak, to get professional advice on providing the best application. 

• Like 1

Hi Rangafella,   My apologies for the late reply and I see that my fellow Pommers have already given you excellent advice, so I hope that you get your case sorted out as soon as possible with a successful outcome for your return to Australia.  

Every case is different and people are away from Australia for many reasons, sometimes through no choice of their own but due to unfortunate circumstances which happened in my case with the death of my father and also leaving an elderly surviving parent behind back home. So the only additional point I could offer to the sound advice you have already been given is to examine your own case in detail, as to why you are out of Australia. Did you leave any intentional plans behind when you left? Often we overlook things or think them irrelevant, when they are worth inclusion.  It is about building a case for your return. Not everyone is lucky in such circumstances so yes it would be worth investing in the services of a Registered Migration Agent agent such as Paul (above) who will for sure advise you and take control of your application.  It is money worth spending to achieve the goal you want.   

Good luck with your plans mate, and I wish you well. 

Tom 

9 hours ago, Tom Brody said:

...people are away from Australia for many reasons, sometimes through no choice of their own but due to unfortunate circumstances

That is very true, but it's been made clear on these forums that the vital factor is "substantial ties to Australia".  If you can't demonstrate substantial ties, then all the compelling reasons in the world won't help your application.

You are right, that's exactly why it's recommended to use an agent, because understanding what "substantial ties" means, and making a strong case for them, takes an expert.

In Ranga's case, he mentions having friends and intending to migrate in the future - suggesting he has never lived in Australia at all. Also he has already submitted his application.

Edited by Marisawright

• 3 months later...

Hi There,

I am just looking for some advise.  I have applied for my return visa to Australia just before it Expired In June (the money was taken) says 12 weeks waiting.

I have lived in Australia since 2009 - 2016 (7 years)  - I have been back in the UK for nearly 3 years  (due to looking after elderly parents) I went back to Australia 16 months ago for 3 months and worked whilst there ( on my form I ticked i have been in the country in the last 2 years) .  I wondered if this would create a problem? im planning to go back in December for good again.    If anyone can advise or been in a similar situation I would be really grateful... Thanks Jo 

Lots of people are in this situation. If you have maintained your ties to Australia and have demonstrated this in your application with evidence, then you should meet the requirements for a one year RRV. If you haven't provided any evidence, then you can still add it to your application now. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I am entering into a situation where my PR is about to expire and therefore need your help & recommendations.

My PR's original travel facility is due to expire on 25th Nov 2019. I did the 1st compulsory entry in the first year in 2015 and then spent 4 months in Australia in 2018. I stayed employed full time for around 3 months as well and myself and my wife had a baby while our stay in Australia, so the baby girl is an Australian citizen as well.

I am currently outside Australia and I think would not be able to make it back to Australia before the expiry of the travel facility of the PR  and I need to stay back for atleast 1 more year to assist my family, therefore I am thinking of applying the RRV for myself and my wife, while being outside Australia. In this reference, can you help in answering the following queries that I have in my mind:

- What if my RRV is refused; does my original travel facility of the PR still remain valid till 25th Nov 2019 and can I still re-enter Australia before 25th Nov 2019; even though my RRV has been rejected OR the RRV rejection nullifies and cancels the original travel facility of the PR as well ?

- What if I don't receive a decision on my RRV before 25th Nov 2019. Can I  still re-enter Australia before 25th Nov 2019; even though my RRV has not been decided. I read somewhere that incase you apply for RRV while being outside Australia, you need to stay outside Australia till you get the RRV. (even though the original PR travel facility has not expired).

Would request you to share your point of view on my situation as soon as possible, so that I can arrange things accordingly.

Regards,

I can give you exactly the same answer I gave you last week to the identical query you made on another forum!

1. Yes, you can still enter
2. Yes, you can still enter and your visa can be granted if you are onshore, if you made an internet application

Your application for an RRV does not affect your current visa, whatever the outcome (unless, obviously, you get granted the RRV, in which case it replaces the current visa).