Studying a trade in aus

Max64633

Hi there i was looking at studying a trade in aus and wonder if anyone has any experiance in this basiclly I was looking at doing a two year course and I was wondering what the standards of education is like and then having your skills transfers back into the UK and if anyone had any exerpianve with the graduate visa migration would be a bonus but isn't really my long term goal the graduate visa woulf be more to build up some more practical work experiance at the end so I'm more job ready back home. 

The first thing I'd advise is to check out the fees for overseas students on the courses you're thinking of.  It's likely to cost you far, far more to study the same course in Australia compared to what it would cost in the UK - so although you'll be more job ready when you return, you'll be in a lot more debt!

There is no way that studying a trade in Australia will lead to a pemanent visa because you won't have enough experience to be eligible.

1 hour ago, Max64633 said:

Thanks I don't belevive you are correct In the second part as there's is ways i.e job ready program and so forth but it is  of risks and expensive to be fair,pr would be great but primarily I just want to study in aus really 

Take a look at the Skilled Visa requirements and you'll find most of them need a few years experience after you've gained your qualifications. Once your student visa is up, you'll have no way to stay in Australia to work, so the only way you'll get experience is to go back to the UK. 

Also  you might strike problems with getting your Australian qualifications recognised over there.  For instance, even fully-qualified British electricians coming to Australia have to work as an apprentice for a full year before they can get licensed.  That may not be the case for Aussie-qualified electricians in the UK, but you never know.

Edited by Marisawright

Yeah i was more looking into carpentry or joinery not so much plumbing or electrition as I know that to be the case as far as the work experiance reuirements is it not a points based system that of you cab meet the certain amount of poins you are able to apply? You are completely right for tss visa and such I mean like the 189 or 190 Which from my research you seem to be able to with studying provided the tra through the job ready you gain a successful skill assment do you have a link for more info on what your saying? But as i said before migration isn't really the long term goal would be nice but of it didn't happen I'm not going to cry about it.

The graduate visa 485, isn't points based. But that is a temp visa. To apply for a 189 or 190, you would still need to meet the points and skills assessment. It doesn't matter where you study or to what level. You could do a PhD and it's still the same. Oh, and that assumes the trade in question is still on the list, which is far from certain as the lists change a lot - over 200 occupations have been removed in the last 12 months with a commitment from the government to cut a lot more

If migration isn't your goal, then fine, but it is an incredibly expensive way of becoming a tradesman in the uk. International fees, zero government funding, limited permitted work. 

2 hours ago, Max64633 said:

Yeah i was more looking into carpentry or joinery not so much plumbing or electrition as I know that to be the case as far as the work experiance reuirements is it not a points based system that of you cab meet the certain amount of poins you are able to apply? You are completely right for tss visa and such I mean like the 189 or 190

The name "skills assessment" is a bit misleading.  You don't sit an exam to show you've got the skills.  Instead, they look at your qualifications AND your work experience.  So for a carpenter, you'd typically need a qualification plus 3 years experience after your course was completed.  

Yeah I had seen this. I was understanding you would have to pass it through the 12 month job ready program for international graduates under taken on your 485 which if successful would provide a postive skill assment for migration purpose. Although I can imagine from what I understand about the job ready program o cabt imagine alot of employers would be keen for it 

There are some ‘private’ institutions around basically in it for money and they sometimes go under. I would stick with the public ones like Box Hill TAFE, Swinburne, RMIT etc . Cert 3 is a fairly low level qual, Cert 4 or a Diploma are better on the whole for example.Depends what you want to do of course.

I was more looking at tafe as they do it over two years as i dont feel a one year course is really going to give you a great amount of education,and a cert 3 is the UK equivalent of a nvq level two but I appreciate your feed back I will avoid anything like that if I go through with ot.