Kids going to UK for year is this selfish ??

Guest pudley

Guest pudley

Hello....Iam going to court next month to try and get the ok to take my children aged 8 and 10 to the Uk for a year. We have lots of friends and family out there ( but there father is here). They are very excited by the prospect of going and I think it would be a wonderful experience for them. I am getting strong opposition from parents as they are saying that it a very very selfish act. I would like to know if any one has done this or going to do this and what do they think....Or anyone who did this as a child ?? Thank you x

Hi pudley,

I have no idea why peeps are saying that you are being selfish, you are giving your children the chance to experience another side to their lives that they do not know yet.

Another country, a different lifestyle, family & friends - what a wonderful experience it will be for your children, not many kids get this chance, you go for it and forget the misereys that save you are being selfish - im sure you kids will more than thankyou for the experience

All the best

stuju

Guest pudley

thank you so much I know in my mind that I am not being selfish ( even though I want to go back too ) my daughter struggles with school and they are using that as a reason to not go back....she is so easy going though and I think it would do her the world of good. thank you again !!

:jiggy:

Absolutely brilliant idea - their education wouldnt suffer - in fact it could give the additional support your daughter needs. Living in another country and experiencing a different lifestyle is education in itself and they are young enough to make the trip without jeopardising what education they have here but old enough to remember and enjoy every moment of it. Go for it - far from selfish IMHO, you are offering them a lifetime experience.

Guest gary12

Hi Pudley

I think you should go for it. Travel broadens the mind. Your children will get the benefit of experiencing things one could never do in the classroom. We took our son who is 5 out of school for 5 weeks earlier this year to travel to Oz. He learnt so much and came on in just about every area academically.

One thing you should do though is plan to visit lots of places around the UK and Europe if you can. Really make the most of your time here.

They would need to go into school here I guess for the social contact with people their own age rather than academic reasons.

It's no different to our plans. We plan to go to Oz for a year, if we like it we stay longer, if not we come home earlier. No big deal. You say parents are giving you a hard time is that so called friends or family? It probably comes down to a bit of envy in that they can't or won't give their children the same experience.

best wishes

Michelle

If you were in UK and saying you were going to Aus people would be saying go for it .... this isn't any different, you're also giving your children time to spend with their English realatives too which is just as important... have a plan for the court of how you're going to ensure they stay in touch with their dad whilst in England .... shows you're thinking of their needs as well as their dads.

Good luck

Ali

I too would go for it,you will probably find the people giving you grief are actually jealous ,it sounds like the comments we got when saying we were coming here.You know whats best for your kids so do what you want to do,i notice a hell of alot of japenese students come out here for a year or 2,is it not just the same ? if it was soo bad on the kids surely they wouldnt do it.good luck with everything and keep us updated as to what you do,

Cal x

Guest Pete and Lou

We too are planning to go to Oz for 2 years and then return to the UK as we have a big close family here (we might stay if we love it though!) Our kids are 10 and 7 and we feel having backpacked alot before the kids were born that the experience's we will give them doing this 'adventure' will far exceed what they would have learnt just staying in the UK and going to school every day. They will go to school in Oz and that in itself will add to their experience's and life skills. I wish my parents had been adventurous when I was a kid, I hardly got taken anywhere! Go for it, a year will fly by, but think of the memories you will have!

Lou

Archived