Moving to Central Coast

Billawrong

Hi. Looking to move my family to Central Coast next year, just in the Application process for our Visas currently. We are due to have a trip next year to scope out some areas to raise our family and have been looking at these below. Could anyone give us the heads ups on what these areas are like for families. Researched Terrigal, Avoca and Copacabana, but you can’t beat the opinion of those in the know! Much appreciated and many thanks in advance for anyone’s help. 

-Terrigal 

-Avoca

-Wamberal

-Copacabana

-Bateau Bay

-Berkley Vale

-Killarney Vale

-Long Jetty

-The Entrance 

-Tuggerah

-Wyong

-Lake Haven and Gorokol

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your input. Have been recently focusing in on everything between Bateau Bay and Avoca, but will definitely be looking around Gosford as well. We will be having a ‘scoping out’ trip next year, as this will be a massive (but welcome) change for us. My wife and I are used to being near the city, so are trying to find the best balance of a big lifestyle change but without too much of a shock initially. Don’t as for much I know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I live in Avoca Beach. It's beautiful around here,  great great outdoors family life. Most communities are very surf/ beach orientated. Terrigal is lovely but busier, more nightlife, shops etc  Copacabana is also lovely, not much to do except the beach. All have surf clubs and lot happens around these.

We moved out here in 2016, husband works in Sydney but none of us wanted to live in Sydney. So husband commutes daily and it sis wearing. Lots of people from Avoca commute to Sydney bit many are able to work around thew commute and maybe work a few days at home.

If you're used to London, and want the opposite then it will be perfect for you. There is hardly any nightlife and very few 'pubs' although there is a lot developing up here so things are changing.  As others have said there are area to avoid and these are mainly north central coast and lower south central coast- The Penninsula (Woy Woy, Umina). Over toward Long Jetty and The Entrance does have a bad reputation too although both have a lot of positives. I'm not saying every area in these places is bad, but a lot of areas have a bad reputation for ice addicts, theft, bogans so chose carefully.

There's sort of a 'bubble' that includes Avoca/ Copa, Terrigal, Wamberal, Erina, East Gosford/ Point Frederick and few other areas where the schools are good, the rent and house prices are expensive, (there are loads of Brits here). Depending on the age of your kids you may want to research hard into the schools in other areas.

Gosford has a lot to offer but needs some regeneration, but on the face of it looks a nice city when you're used to the grey of the UK. Have you looked Newcastle? If you can get work there maybe consider it too? I would happily live there but my husband can't get work up there.

Happy to answer any other questions, or catch up with you when you come over.

Becky (we have an 8 and 10 year old) both at Avoca school and love it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Serendipity said:

Hi

I live in Avoca Beach. It's beautiful around here,  great great outdoors family life. Most communities are very surf/ beach orientated. Terrigal is lovely but busier, more nightlife, shops etc  Copacabana is also lovely, not much to do except the beach. All have surf clubs and lot happens around these.

We moved out here in 2016, husband works in Sydney but none of us wanted to live in Sydney. So husband commutes daily and it sis wearing. Lots of people from Avoca commute to Sydney bit many are able to work around thew commute and maybe work a few days at home.

If you're used to London, and want the opposite then it will be perfect for you. There is hardly any nightlife and very few 'pubs' although there is a lot developing up here so things are changing.  As others have said there are area to avoid and these are mainly north central coast and lower south central coast- The Penninsula (Woy Woy, Umina). Over toward Long Jetty and The Entrance does have a bad reputation too although both have a lot of positives. I'm not saying every area in these places is bad, but a lot of areas have a bad reputation for ice addicts, theft, bogans so chose carefully.

There's sort of a 'bubble' that includes Avoca/ Copa, Terrigal, Wamberal, Erina, East Gosford/ Point Frederick and few other areas where the schools are good, the rent and house prices are expensive, (there are loads of Brits here). Depending on the age of your kids you may want to research hard into the schools in other areas.

Gosford has a lot to offer but needs some regeneration, but on the face of it looks a nice city when you're used to the grey of the UK. Have you looked Newcastle? If you can get work there maybe consider it too? I would happily live there but my husband can't get work up there.

Happy to answer any other questions, or catch up with you when you come over.

Becky (we have an 8 and 10 year old) both at Avoca school and love it.

Lucky you!  Avoca is one of -  if not the nicest place on the Central Coast.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tootsie said:

? Lucky you. A lovely place.

I also really like the area of Macmasters Beach....and if I ever win lotto I will move there

Yes it's really lovely in Macmasters. We considered there too, but Avoca has more of a village feel, with places to eat and get coffee. Our friends in Mac's love it there though.

• Like 2

Hi Becky

That’s really helpful thanks! I think we’ve done as much research as we can online, so will definitely pick your brains at some stage.

I’m hopeful that my job seems to favour the central coast (if one of the companies there will take me ?). My wife may commute to Sydney for work, in which case East Gosford would be our prelim option. However if we can both work locally, then we’ll be headed for one of the beach towns.

We have an 8 year old girl who’s future is the drive behind the whole thing. So when we’re over next spring we’ll spot you lunch for the inside track, if you’re around at the time.

Thanks a million!

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billawrong said:

Have looked at Newcastle as well, but we have friends already in Sydney that we would love to see regularly.

Newcastle is only 2 hours drive from Sydney.   I used to drive up to Newcastle for the day frequently, to visit our Newcastle office. There's also a train service which is closer to 2.5 hours. 

If you can live and work in Newcastle then you'll save your wife many hours of commuting time...

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...