Hi guys!

My partner and I are looking into the 820/801 partner visa as he currently lives offshore in Wales. Due to this we dont have anything joint..no bank accounts or anything! Of course, when he moves across we will live together and we will put each other on our car insurance and as NOK etc etc. My question is, is transferring money between our separate bank accounts and evidence of shared household bills/costs enough to satisfy the financial requirements? If anyone else can give me some advice of evidence to use/what immigration likes to see it would be much appreciated! 

Im also wondering if screenshot of messages and emails are satisfactory evidence (social, commitment etc) or do we have to download them into PDFS somehow? 

The 820/801 visa presumes you are living together. If you aren't then you may be better looking at a 300 prospective marriage visa. For the 820/801 visa, evidence of social links, just a few sample messages and photos are sufficient. For the 300 PMV, you really just need a photo to prove that you have met, and statements from each other and two friends who have met you both. Then when you marry you will live together and be able to show joint finances for a subsequent 820/801 visa application.

I'd say you are more like long distance dating (even though you both may feel its a committed relationship, it doesn't sound at all like de facto IMHO) and would struggle to provide the sort of evidence they are wanting for a partner visa. 

I tend to think your situation sounds more suited to the PMV which requires far less evidence nor de facto status. 

If still young enough to qualify and if not already used, there is the WHV to allow a year (or two if the regional work is completed and signed off on properly) to be considered. This could allow you to live together, be a de facto couple etc.

Throwing $7,000 plus at a partner visa based on what you have said here sounds very very risky to me. 

Thankyou! I think I agree with your logic. It is defiently a sticky situation! He was actually in Australia on a dependent child vusa which is how we met but we were never able to live together as I moved to a different city to start my univeristy education  ( I am 19 and he is 22). That visa recently got rejected and so we are just currently assessing all of our options to bring him home.

If he can get a WHV (working holiday visa) then that will give him a year to live with you as a de facto couple in Australia.  That will give you a more solid base on which to apply.

If he's willing to do some regional work so he can stay for a second year, then he can stay in Australia while you apply for the visa. Otherwise, he might have go go home after his WHV year while you wait for approval, but at least you'll have a better chance of getting approved if you can show evidence that you established a home together, shared finances etc.

It's worth mentioning that the partner visa is strictly for couples who regard themselves as being in a relationship which is the equivalent of marriage.  People choose not to get married for all kinds of reasons, but if you're feeling you're not ready to get married yet, that suggests you're not in an equivalent relationship yet either.

Marisa makes great sense re the de facto and not ready to get married yet. Don't risk a second visa refusal off the back off a weak partner visa application. 

Also, if he were to come back over on a WHV then if you are in a state where you can register your relationship, this is also good to do.

TBH given his age I'd think the WHV is a good starting point. It would allow you to live together as a de facto couple, see if you are both happy for the longer term going forward and then lodge an on shore partner visa application if its all worked out (if he gets the 3 months regional out the way first then you'd have even longer de facto before lodging as he could have that second year WHV).

Ensure you keep all the evidence documented of your de facto relationship from when it begins (long distance dating does not count toward de facto). So get you both on the rental lease, joint bank account or individual ones with money going between to cover those bills, rent etc. Both named on the car insurance. Bills naming you both (ie on the water bill or phone bill together or at least able to show money between accounts to cover those things). Wills, life insurance policy naming the other, those things are all good. 

Then of course there is the social side. Hopefully once living together as a couple you would get the odd invite (naming you both) to events like a wedding or 40th birthday. Or book a holiday together and both be shown on the booking and flight etc.