Permanent residency visa 186

Lio

Hi,

I am on 186 visa since May 17. My contract with my sponsor does not specify hours per weekm. Can I work with other employer part time as well during the first two years of the 186 visa, when I am obligated to work for the sponsor?

Thanks for your help

Lio

I could be wrong, but as above if you are a PR yes you can work for whoever and whenever you like. It may be however, written into your contract by the sponsoring company, as a work-based agreement as a pose to something specified/mandated by immigration. 

For example, when I relocated and was sponsored on the 186 It was stipulated in my work contract that if I left the company within 3 years I had to pay back a % of the relocation package they paid me. 

Perhaps there’s something in your contract that by sponsoring you, you agree to work full time for a certain period? I’ve no idea how they would uphold that if you decided to leave though. 

Whilst I was on the 457 I was told I had to work full time. This again wasn’t as per immigration requirements, but more of a contractual thing because they were so incredibly short staffed and hoped nobody on a 457 would really notice it wasn’t a mandatory requirement. To be honest most staff were thankful to have a sponsor so it wasn’t an issue. And on a 457 they were obligated to pay a certain amount so not working full time (for some staff) meant they weren’t paid enough to meet the requirements set by the DIAC. But regardless, I think that is different from PR visa holders. 

Hopefully somebody else can clarify x