Don't like Australia!

tracy123

Hi Geoffrey, I think many of your comments are right, Britain has a whole, does have lots of culture and history still though, and many people still come to the UK to see these things. Unfortunately the supermarkets have taken the business away from the smaller shops and even the milkman is now suffering to compete with supermarket prices. We still support our milkman even though it is more expensive. Supermarkets are a more convenient way to shop for alot of people as we all lead such busy lives now. I just can't wait to experience Oz for ourselves, i'm sure we will be very happy there, you can make the two comparisons between the countries and i think we know which one you prefer. Gud on you

Best wishes

Tania X

No Tania

Dont get me wrong, London Is fantastic alot of small towns in the UK are fab, but they are loosing there soul. The buildings are still standing but its whats inside them.

The UK has great beef, Lamb, Pork but when you go to Asda where does it come from???

When you think of England what do you think of??? Romantic thoughts are what come to mine. All the things we love about England are here the history etc but they are slowly disapearing. England is loosing its identity, things are changing very quickly and not for the better.

I read peoples posts telling us what they dont like and alot of it is silly to me. I don't want Australia to have alot of what England has. Australia is Australia and I like it, NO I LOVE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. It's not for everyone but it is for me

Geoffrey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hammer

I agree with Moonraker, everyone looks at things from different perspectives.

We got to 2 lots of friends that we've known for years and years and have loads in common, except they've moved to NZ and didn't even think about Oz. Both lots want to visit but neither felt what they wanted from their lives Oz could'nt offer without forfeiting something elsewhere.

I think thats what we all really do ad up the pros and cons.

One thing i would say and i hope Geoffery doesn't take this the wrong way cos i think it's a positive, is that because that Oz isn't steeped in history and culture like Britain i believe it makes it a realaxed, forward looking society. In Britain we do hate change as we are to a certain degree chained by those things that made it a great country.

Some people will never be happy!!!:no:You gotta know what you're looking for before you can go and get it.:yes:

I agree with Moonraker, everyone looks at things from different perspectives.

We got to 2 lots of friends that we've known for years and years and have loads in common, except they've moved to NZ and didn't even think about Oz. Both lots want to visit but neither felt what they wanted from their lives Oz could'nt offer without forfeiting something elsewhere.

I think thats what we all really do ad up the pros and cons.

One thing i would say and i hope Geoffery doesn't take this the wrong way cos i think it's a positive, is that because that Oz isn't steeped in history and culture like Britain i believe it makes it a realaxed, forward looking society. In Britain we do hate change as we are to a certain degree chained by those things that made it a great country.

Some people will never be happy!!!:no:You gotta know what you're looking for before you can go and get it.:yes:

No offence taken its a fact.

Guest mandisfam

Hiya Geoffrey, What a great post. Its the aussie attitude like this, is why I want to go. Its my country, if you don't like go back home, if only the UK took some tips from them.

As for small towns, well I very lucky, my local market town still has 3 butchers with queues out the doors each Saturday and at christmas its a nightmare. All the meat is sourced locally, most have a board up telling which farm it has come from. Its more expensive than the supermarket but is beautiful.

We have 2 bakers and 1 baker/deli, all very very busy. We a twice weekly market, and the expect to wait 20/25 mins to be served on the fruit and veg stall its so popular.

We do have a tescos and everyone hates its but there are certain things you have to go there for.

I do believe Im lucky to live where I live but still want to go to oz.

Mandisfam

Guest austibeach
Of course the UK still has the seasons.and I miss them big time... we get more annual rainfall in Perth than in London and you can have a BBQ ruined over here just as much as back home shaz.

Yes the UK does still have seasons, unfortunately they can all appear on the same day.

It is true that Perth has a higher annual rainfall than London, 790mm as opposed to London's 750mm ; not much in it. However, the fact that Perth experiences 70% of it's rainfall in only the 4 months of Australian winter, it does allow for a safer bet when planning a BBQ.

If we were to look beyond London, the figures are much more in Perth's favour. Manchester, although always being portrayed as being continually raining, comes in at 806.6mm , with Glasgow at 889 mm, but if you want some real wet days head to the South-West of the UK, where Plymouth is drenched annually with 980mm.

Today the UK is enjoying a fine summer day, wet and windy 13 - 15 degrees. Forecast.......the same all week.

No more boring weather statistics.................I promise.

Eric.

Guest gary12

Gary, Sorry but dont totally agree with you here. In our local town we have an Asda before Asda came along we had green grocers and butchers etc.. anyway Asda put their prices of groceries so cheap that the butcher etc.. could not do the same. Asda also bought half the town and eventually put the rents up making it unaffordable to trade for the green groceries and butchers and thus putting them out of business. The Vegetable man was the first to go and as soon as he did Asda put their prices of vegetables and fruit up !! Then likewise with the Butchers :no:.

Anyway back to Geoffreys thread and Yes you are right if you dont like it then its time to move on.

Good Luck all

Hi,

Not having a go at you at all but do you shop at Asda?

Generally the people get what they want / deserve. The public want cheaper goods and conveniance but there is always a price to pay years down the line.

The same can be said for our car industry, and a host of other things that we used to make here. We all thought it was great to save a few bob here and there, and now we dont make anything here because it has all gone forever. We have an economy based upon health and safety officers, mobile phone shops and moving money from a to b.

Dont take it personally, just an observation on our decline

Sorry to go off topic:spinny:

Gary

Guest Aldo

May i respond to this post?

What is it with Australia you don’t like?
Not worth answering this because you and your pro Oz mates
DON’T REALLY CARE! If you don’t like it go home
God forbid when they slate England and don’t like certain aspects of English culture, they seem to get a right grilling for it.
sounds like somewhere else i know

Australia is what it is. Why should it change for you?! If we wanted to be different we would change but we are happy the way we are. If you don’t like it deal with it, except it or move on.
I have never asked it to change, I dont like it and have made a choice to move on. I couldn't give a **** if it changes or not. I can't wait to move on but unfortunately there are others on this forum that hate it just as much as me that don't have the luxury of moving on for whatever reasons.

I came to England to experience a different culture and to tell you the truth I don’t like it.

Then take your own advice and move on. Have you tried joining a forum for Aussies in England?

You drive into a country town and a lot of them are lovely, old buildings cobbled streets, a really old world feel to the place. Then you walk down the main street and you have boots, Somerfield’s, Superdrug, Greggs, Evens etc etc etc Gee where am I???? I may as well go to the Trafford centre.
Its just nice to have " lovely, old buildings cobbled streets, a really old world feel to the place."

As opposed to purpose built shopping complexes that look like industrial units.

England is loosing its culture and it has nothing to do with Immigrants it has to do with big business and Government.

The English are a resilient lot and i believe soon enough we will start voting with our feet to claim our culture back.

Good post BTW, hope we can keep it grown up and impersonal

Guest moonraker1961

Have to agree with Aldo on the reclaiming our culture back.The UK is a beautiful place and its my land and I'm proud of it!I have a deep connection with the land here,much the same as I guess aborigines in Oz!

I obviously want to make a new life in Oz, but i will always feel proud to be British, because we have the best history and culture in the world as far as i am concerned, alot of places wouldn't even have been discovered if it wasn't for us. I love when i holiday abroad, because i am English and i want other people to know that.

Thats my feelings on the subject

Tania X

Guest Angelcake

Good on yer Geoffrey!

Completely agree!!!

Have you got your hard hat on though, cos you're gonna get some backlash :-)

Angelcake

Guest earlswood
Good on yer Geoffrey!

Completely agree!!!

Have you got your hard hat on though, cos you're gonna get some backlash :-)

Angelcake

Why should he? he is entilted to say anything he likes...it's still a free Country...go for it Geoff.:notworthy:

What is it with Australia you don’t like? Hang on, NO I DON’T REALLY CARE! If you don’t like it go home. You have done more than most and given it a chance. Chalk it up to one of life’s lessons and move on.

Most English people I speak to are not happy about all these new immigrants coming into this Country (England) and God forbid when they slate England and don’t like certain aspects of English culture, they seem to get a right grilling for it.

Australia is what it is. Why should it change for you?! If we wanted to be different we would change but we are happy the way we are. If you don’t like it deal with it, except it or move on.

I came to England to experience a different culture and to tell you the truth I don’t like it. People are to busy to say hello, manors don’t seem to exist! things that don’t cost anything have disappeared. I have a choice to except it deal with it or move on. I have accepted it.

You drive into a country town and a lot of them are lovely, old buildings cobbled streets, a really old world feel to the place. Then you walk down the main street and you have boots, Somerfield’s, Superdrug, Greggs, Evens etc etc etc Gee where am I???? I may as well go to the Trafford centre. England is loosing its culture and it has nothing to do with Immigrants it has to do with big business and Government. How many of you lot have your own butcher, green grocer baker that you go to? Or is it all done in the weekly shop? If you don’t support your local shops they close and the big companies roll right in.

I think some of the people wanting to return home need to take off their rose coloured glasses. You left for a reason do you think it has really got any better?

Before anyone starts YES I have put this on to stir the pot. I have a right to my beliefs as you do yours! I’ve named no names I am putting no one down. As the saying goes IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT, DON’T READ IT AND DON’T RESPOND……..

Have a great day

Geoffrey

I did as you said so I come home. I found Aus boring soless and lacking culture. My problem not Aussies. I have only myself to blame. I was the one who had to change but could'nt

This country is loosing it's identidy & culture, due to some things we share with Aus to a higher or lesser degree. Immigration, big business, Crime, Scumy white English who blame every thing else but them selfs, Decent working class people who blame every thing else but them selfs. Govenment, and worst of all Political Correctness.

But it sounds to me Geoffrey your having a whindge and correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt if it is not the first time you have had a whindge about my country. It's good to moan, if we did not moan we would never put the wrongs right. The problem with the English is we moan but do nothing about it.

I'm working for an Aussie girl at the moment who's had a good moan about this country but I don't take offence it's life.

I love this country and still very proud to be English, British.

John

PS I pumped in to Jane yestrday and she said she has split with Rod and Freddie.

Havin taken 5 mins out from my new found love of stalking, i would like to congratulate you geoffery on a wonderful thread and into its 5th page now and there has been no backlash......even my stalking subject has given you great respect......times must be changing on here......nice very nice.

I have come to the opinion that when my visa comes and i make the move, and then get citizenship i will have the chance to reside in two great countries.......what a great choice to have.

What a pleasent sunday evening this has turned out to be...........back to the stalking. ssshhh

Guest Hammer
I obviously want to make a new life in Oz, but i will always feel proud to be British, because we have the best history and culture in the world as far as i am concerned, alot of places wouldn't even have been discovered if it wasn't for us. I love when i holiday abroad, because i am English and i want other people to know that.

Thats my feelings on the subject

Tania X

Not being funny Tania but you can't say we dicovered alot of places. For a start thats not actually true. We may have been the first to claim lands. Apart from other European explorers that usually stopped there first there were also the indiginous people of those lands!

We should be proud of being British for what we've given the world and not taken from it!

I'm proud to be british too but perhaps it's because our culture is being squashed to sh** by our policies in this country, that we feel threatened, but no-one has the best culture in the world or the best history.

Part of being BRITISH is our fairness, our politeness and ability too get on and except cultures throughout the world. Thats why so many places around the world looked to England for their dreams.

Us going to Oz is just looking for something we admire in the Oz culture to fulfil our dreams. Not all Poms in Oz fullfill their dreams there, as probably many don't in the UK.

Keith

I have got to be honest, I didn't know where the term 'Whinging Pom' came from until I came to this forum.

If you dont realise the OZzie moan about a crowded train at rush hour let them try the underground in london at rush hour mmmm they whringing about nothing lol They whringe about this beautiful weather are having here in Brisbane dam :wideeyed:

On the same subject (sort of) everyone is talking about England losing its identity, I think it is true, you are not allowed to support England in case people think you are racist. One thing I have noticed, Where are all the English fish and chip shops?:huh:

I tried the local fish and chip shop here couldn't get a Savloy sausage as im a fussy pom and to make matters worse they put my chips with O/H fish and chips in the same box that so wrong espically as i didnt eat that nite as i so hate fish near my food:dull:

I tried the local fish and chip shop here couldn't get a Savloy sausage as im a fussy pom and to make matters worse they put my chips with O/H fish and chips in the same box that so wrong espically as i didnt eat that nite as i so hate fish near my food:dull:

Wrong on so many counts! Fish and Chips in a box! good grief!:biglaugh:

Wrong on so many counts! Fish and Chips in a box! good grief!:biglaugh:

Well its a cupboard tray thing i so had ago at them but they could only take the chips out of the tray when i said i could have an allergy to fish they said ooh but yeah still no new chips lol

Guest Aldo

I like getting my sausage battered

May i respond to this post?

Then take your own advice and move on. Have you tried joining a forum for Aussies in England?

I have accepted England for what it is. I never came to England to live, I never left Australia looking for a better life. I wanted to see the world before I got to old. I had planned on also driving in Europe, America Canada it was and is a stop gap in my life. Meeting Tracy has changed my plans.

I do plan on moving back to Australia IF Tracy likes it enough. If not I wont be upset Im stuck here and hate every day, You make the best of what you have.

Its just nice to have " lovely, old buildings cobbled streets, a really old world feel to the place."

I agree totally with you. But whats inside these buildings??? Thats what I'm getting at. You go to these small towns and what do you find?? Major chain stores.

How many times have you driven past a nice old pub stopped for lunch or tea to find its the same menu/ food as you could of got from your own local? As an Australian I want to taste local produce not what 3663 or brake bros deliver. As an English man do you not want the same?

This is what Im talking about "THE SOUL OF ENGLAND IS DISAPPEARING"

I am not trying to start Australia vs England or trying to slate England.

As opposed to purpose built shopping complexes that look like industrial units.

England has these too!

The English are a resilient lot and i believe soon enough we will start voting with our feet to claim our culture back.

I truly hope so, It's a great nation worth fighting for as once it's gone it's gone.

Good post BTW, hope we can keep it grown up and impersonal

Thank you

Geoffrey

But it sounds to me Geoffrey your having a whindge and correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt if it is not the first time you have had a whindge about my country. It's good to moan, if we did not moan we would never put the wrongs right. The problem with the English is we moan but do nothing about it.

Australia is not for everyone. I think it's good that people tell us what they like and dis-like about a place. There is nothing wrong with putting your point of views of Australia across and I have not got the right to tell you not to feel that way or only positive things can be said about Australia. That not realalistic

But John you see both the good and bad of the place as do most of the people on pio who are un happy with Australia.

Australia is NOT ALL BAD and what upsets me is, people that constantly complain how bad the place is. If you hate the place that much, if England is that good get on the next plain and go home! But if England is so great why leave in the 1st place?

I understand there are many reasons that people are not happy in Oz some people need time to get ajusted other people miss family we all know the reasons we read them every day but most can see good as well as the bad.

I hope can understand where I'm coming from?

Geoffrey

Archived