Don't like Australia!

tracy123

Guest kdal
Hi,

Not having a go at you at all but do you shop at Asda?

Dont take it personally, just an observation on our decline

Sorry to go off topic:spinny:

Gary

Hiya Gary, Yep I do shop at Asda now as there is nowhere else for miles and I mean miles. No worries Gary I havent taken it personally at all and you are right we are going of topic so we will put this one to bed. Open another thread on this topic if you like LOL

It's been a really good thread to read Geoffrey:wubclub:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand where your coming from Geoff i may seem unhappy but im not im just get frustated by the wanting to work attuiade and getting back silly reason which frustate me so much People who know me say you never see me not try to get work but when you get told your skill or expertise is needed somenwhere and you get excuse after excuse it does frustate you. I would do this all again if i had to but knowing i got a lovely family to support me here in Brisbane im never unhappy just get frustated

If you don’t like it go home. You have done more than most and given it a chance. Chalk it up to one of life’s lessons and move on.

It's not always as simple as that though - as you would know having a British partner. If it were a British-born family moving then yes I would agree but as you've suggested in a later post with a British/Australian family (like mine is too!) it complicates things. We're currently going through the process of deciding which country to settle in.

Most English people I speak to are not happy about all these new immigrants coming into this Country (England) and God forbid when they slate England and don’t like certain aspects of English culture, they seem to get a right grilling for it.

In general, I think it's the asylum seekers that cause the most tension, whether this is actual or perceived. Yes, I believe asylum should be provided for those who would be in real danger in their home country, but in most cases this should not lead to any kind of permanent residency and definitely not citizenship. People who have sought asylum should head back to their home country when it is safe to do so, and if not in their life-time then their children or grandchildren (etc.) if it becomes safe for them. Of course, marriage to a British person would change this. It should be clear from the outset for both refugee & host population that it is until the home country is safe, and only until then - and the way things are set up now it is not like that.

The next level of tension tends to come from the perceived threat of fellow European people (especially Polish, but others too) taking jobs away from British people. In some cases this is a real threat, but in most it's probably not - British people (and I do mean British here, not just English) tend to be too inward looking. There is a paranoia about our close neighbours which in most cases is unjustified.

Australia doesn't have this issue as much because of it's isolation - however there is an underlying concern among some Australians about Indonesia. Also there has been a sharp increase of immigration into Australia from India & China which causes some concern from some people.

Australia is what it is. Why should it change for you?! If we wanted to be different we would change but we are happy the way we are. If you don’t like it deal with it, except it or move on.

Unfortunately Australia has changed for other people, and is still changing. It is not the same country as my wife grew up in - it has become much more Americanised over the last 20 years (particularly last 5-10 years), materialistic and individualistic. China also seems to be having a bigger influence. People are friendly, but it seems to be much more on the surface now than it used to be - at an arms distance. It's no longer as friendly as it was before.

I came to England to experience a different culture and to tell you the truth I don’t like it. People are to busy to say hello, manors don’t seem to exist! things that don’t cost anything have disappeared. I have a choice to except it deal with it or move on. I have accepted it.

I travelled in Australia back in 1999/2000 to experience a different culture. I've now come to the conclusion since living here that Australia is a place I like to visit and "do stuff", but it's not a place I like to live.

Things that don't cost anything have disappeared? Isn't there some museums in London that are free entry, and what about prescriptions & dental for children? There are quite a lot of small charges here & there in Australia I've noticed that don't exist in England.

You drive into a country town and a lot of them are lovely, old buildings cobbled streets, a really old world feel to the place. Then you walk down the main street and you have boots, Somerfield’s, Superdrug, Greggs, Evens etc etc etc Gee where am I???? I may as well go to the Trafford centre.

I'd rather have the usually-seen shops in most high streets than having huge shopping centres everywhere. Australia have many more shopping centres than the UK, which tend to have the same shops over and over. At least in a high street, particularly a village, you're in nicer surroundings than a shopping centre with muzak and the dreaded foodcourt!!

England is loosing its culture and it has nothing to do with Immigrants it has to do with big business and Government. How many of you lot have your own butcher, green grocer baker that you go to? Or is it all done in the weekly shop? If you don’t support your local shops they close and the big companies roll right in.

Yep, England (and Wales, and to a slightly lesser degree Scotland) is losing it's culture. Australia is too, as I suggested above (but for more reasons than I mentioned). This is one of the tough areas for my wife & I in deciding which country to settle in - we both see that both countries are throwing away it's respective culture. However the fact that England has those old buildings stands as a reminder of that culture - and I think I'd much rather have that if the culture is completely thrown away than have relatively little physical/visual reminders which is what Australia would end up with.

I think some of the people wanting to return home need to take off their rose coloured glasses. You left for a reason do you think it has really got any better?

Yes, there can be a certain amount of fond reminiscing which affects what should be a head & heart decision rather than just a heart decision. Perhaps you do this too? I probably do from time to time, which is why my wife & I are making sure we take a decent amount of time over the decision about which of our home countries we'll settle in and talking through each issue/observation.

I do also think that there is quite a lot of looking through rose-coloured glasses when it comes to British families choosing to emigrate to Australia in the first place.

we all slate these rose tinted glasses but im the first to admit i wore them ,,they were well and truely knocked off within the first few weeks of arrival ,but you know what ,,i still love Oz ,i love the opportunities its given me and my family and if i could turn the clock back ,,i wouldnt change a thing ,life is what YOU make it!

Cal x

Guest Jaynie

I will be honest with you all, when my Husbands family all started to migrate over here I was the one who dug my heels in and said 'What's over there, just weather and beaches" We had the opportunity to visit this lovely country and this changed my complete perspective on things, I imagined everywhere to be like the outback, it wasn't, I never realised how big this country is till I flew over it, very naive I know, but we applied to migrate, got passed and came over, it's everything I wanted from life and more.

UK is where my siblings and parents are, Australia is home that's all!

In general, I think it's the asylum seekers that cause the most tension, whether this is actual or perceived. Yes, I believe asylum should be provided for those who would be in real danger in their home country, but in most cases this should not lead to any kind of permanent residency and definitely not citizenship. People who have sought asylum should head back to their home country when it is safe to do so, and if not in their life-time then their children or grandchildren (etc.) if it becomes safe for them. Of course, marriage to a British person would change this. It should be clear from the outset for both refugee & host population that it is until the home country is safe, and only until then - and the way things are set up now it is not like that.

So children born in England to Asylum seekers should be sent home! are they not English? How many generations does it take to become English? Australian?

Or small children brought up in England, knows nothing of their homeland lets say has spent 10/20 yrs in England then gets deported what for?

What about all the tax they pay into this country? do they get a pension sent to them? or do we just assume because they are "Asylum Seekers" they live on handouts????

The next level of tension tends to come from the perceived threat of fellow European people (especially Polish, but others too) taking jobs away from British people. In some cases this is a real threat.

People can only take jobs that are there in the 1st place. If these "British people" got off there arse and worked, there would be no jobs available for these "Polish workers"

Australia doesn't have this issue as much because of it's isolation - however there is an underlying concern among some Australians about Indonesia. Also there has been a sharp increase of immigration into Australia from India & China which causes some concern from some people.

small minded people live the world over

I travelled in Australia back in 1999/2000 to experience a different culture. I've now come to the conclusion since living here that Australia is a place I like to visit and "do stuff", but it's not a place I like to live.

Looks like you have made up your mind already! Maybe your choice should be England or call it quits to your relationship?!

Things that don't cost anything have disappeared? Isn't there some museums in London that are free entry, and what about prescriptions & dental for children? There are quite a lot of small charges here & there in Australia I've noticed that don't exist in England.

Gee lets all visit a museum in London dont worry you need to pay to get into London or are we walking? or riding a bike to get there??

You missed my point it was in relation to manners "It cost nothing for manners"

I'd rather have the usually-seen shops in most high streets than having huge shopping centres everywhere. Australia have many more shopping centres than the UK, which tend to have the same shops over and over. At least in a high street, particularly a village, you're in nicer surroundings than a shopping centre with muzak and the dreaded foodcourt!!

Once again missed the point!

I do also think that there is quite a lot of looking through rose-coloured glasses when it comes to British families choosing to emigrate to Australia in the first place.

My post was not about the pro's and con's, Australia vs England. If you don't like it and want to leave, then leave! Or is someone holding a gun to your head? Let me know where you live and i'll send the police around.

You always have a choice about your life. some choice's are easy and others are hard.

Geoffrey

Guest JoanneHattersley

At the end of the day it is each to their own. There is so much that I miss bout the UK but there is more that I love about Oz!!

I do believe tho that if u come to Oz, you should take on the people, culture etc. Dont look for Britain cos it aint here!!

Good Luck everyone and great post Geoffrey!

At the end of the day it is each to their own. There is so much that I miss bout the UK but there is more that I love about Oz!!

I do believe tho that if u come to Oz, you should take on the people, culture etc. Dont look for Britain cos it aint here!!

Well said and in less words too!!! bugger LOL

Guest JoanneHattersley
Well said and in less words too!!! bugger LOL

Why thank you kind sir!!!! Thats me tho, short, sweet, to the point and bugger the consequences!!! LOL!:biglaugh:

Thank God for that. I am spending a huge amount of money and huge amount of time and hassle and if all I got when I got over there was Britain I might just shoot myself, its like the Brits who go to Spain and look for the nearest British Pub, whats that all about?:goofy:

defo I know I didn't come here to be British I came to integrate fully into the Australian life style and culture.I will never forget my roots but always remember why I left and what I have found on my new island

My post was not about the pro's and con's, Australia vs England. If you don't like it and want to leave, then leave!

You've said that you don't like British culture. If you don't like it, do as you suggest to me - quit your relationship and children now and return to Australia. You won't do that? Then don't say such ridiculous, idiotic things to other people.

I have not said that I want to leave Australia, perhaps you should spend more time reading posts. We are here to decide which country to settle in & raise a family. When living in the UK we wanted to know what it was like living in the UK for us, living in Australia we want to know what it's like living in Australia for us. We are making choices, by experiencing what both countries have to offer and whatever we decide we'll both get behind and get on with it.

Guest Pinhead

I have not said that I want to leave Australia, perhaps you should spend more time reading posts. We are here to decide which country to settle in & raise a family. When living in the UK we wanted to know what it was like living in the UK for us, living in Australia we want to know what it's like living in Australia for us. We are making choices, by experiencing what both countries have to offer and whatever we decide we'll both get behind and get on with it.

Then you're on the wrong thread, this is the 'take Australia as it is or leave' thread.

Then you're on the wrong thread, this is the 'take Australia as it is or leave' thread.

Why am I on the wrong thread? Our decision is all about taking Australia as it is or leaving...

You've said that you don't like British culture. If you don't like it, do as you suggest to me - quit your relationship and children now and return to Australia. You won't do that? Then don't say such ridiculous, idiotic things to other people.

Sorry did you not make this statement???

If you take your own advise and read you will see i said this

I came to England to experience a different culture and to tell you the truth I don’t like it. People are to busy to say hello, manors don’t seem to exist! Thing’s that don’t cost anything have disappeared. I have a choice to except it deal with it or move on. I have accepted it.

And then in a later post I added this (before your post)!

I have accepted England for what it is. I never came to England to live, I never left Australia looking for a better life. I wanted to see the world before I got to old. I had planned on also driving in Europe, America Canada it was and is a stop gap in my life. Meeting Tracy has changed my plans.

I do plan on moving back to Australia IF Tracy likes it enough. If not I wont be upset Im stuck here and hate every day, You make the best of what you have.

To answer your question if I was that unhappy and hated living in England and Tracy would not move to OZ I would leave her. In a relationship both people need to be happy.

Guest earlswood
defo I know I didn't come here to be British I came to integrate fully into the Australian life style and culture.I will never forget my roots but always remember why I left and what I have found on my new island

I never understand when people say that:no:

You are British but just living in another part of the world....when an aussie goes to live somewhere else he is still an Aussie but just living in another Country, the same goes for Americans Irish etc.....you are a Brit...get over it.

I am however I will not be labeling my self as a brit and that's not why I came here to be just another brit I will be proud to get citizenship if I'm lucky enough I don't need to get over any thing as I said I wont forget my roots. whats your pay pal account so I can add 10 cents to get you back on a plane

Guest Pinhead

Giz

You're right.

I lived in Melbourne before and I was travelling around Oz and when asked 'where are you from' my instinctive response was "Melbourne" not "England" or "UK". If/when I get my Oz citizenship I will be proud to call myself australian.

My nationality may be British but I am not proud of that fact because sadly being British is quite often an embarressment when you see how badly some brits behave not only at home but abroad.

Guest Hammer

Hi,

I think it won't be a problem reconising any of us poms as English/welsh?scotch, etc. Whether we shove that down anyone's throat is more of a reflection of the individual personality than their nationality. The majority of people respect each other differences rather than resent them. Even within the UK there is places and ways of living that would never appeal to me, but i respect that is their choice and who am i too say that i know better.

We all make choices we sometimes regret. I think we should count ourselves lucky we've got the choice......Some haven't!

Keith

Guest Aldo
Giz

You're right.

I lived in Melbourne before and I was travelling around Oz and when asked 'where are you from' my instinctive response was "Melbourne" not "England" or "UK". If/when I get my Oz citizenship I will be proud to call myself australian.

My nationality may be British but I am not proud of that fact because sadly being British is quite often an embarressment when you see how badly some brits behave not only at home but abroad.

This post tells alot about your character. I feel a little bit sorry for you. Was it anything in particular that makes you ashamed to be English / British ?

• 3 years later...
Guest tommy1955

white austrialians are the most racist people in the world in that

they don't like people from other countries and they don't like themselves too.

the price in australia are crazy in terms of goods, properties and aussie still like it.

aussie don't make stuff, they import stuff from other country and they don't like other country

they lure millions of international students to study in australia, the australian higher education degree is nothing but a phatic paper and even doesn't provide them with a fair working rights. all the fair working laws of australia with regard to this matter is bullshit in that 99% jobs in labour market are "Australian Residents" only. if you are international graduate, you will probably get an interview opportunity against other 200 candidates only if your IELTS is 8 on average saying the native English and you have 3 years over experience in field. It would be definitely no chance for an international students with high distinctions transcript to find a professional formal job on that "prisoner ruled" land. aussies are lack of education who don't demn recognize a ****.

:arghh:

Archived