Don’t know where to start

Have been on holiday now to the lovely Oz and fallen in live with the country. Am a qualified primary teacher and partner electrician . I’ve looked at the skills assessment for myself and partner but for electrician seems a lengthy process and costly has anyone been in a similar situation and any advice and whether we would be likely to be invited ... thanks in advance 

• Like 1

lengthy and costly to be honest. Unless you are an early years teacher, electrician is probably your plan A: The skills assessment is no more or a problem time wise than dealing with AITSL but the gap training etc to work unrestricted adds up and takes up to 12 months. If you have savings behind you then this shouldn’t cause too much issue.

Perhaps start with a points calculator for each of you and take initial meeting with a MARA agent. Most don’t charge for it as it’s part information part sales pitch.  The down under centre is the place I the uk for sparkie skills assessments. If you decide to take this route, happy to explain what is involved to your partner. 

One thing to remember is that your partner will have to take the assessment no matter what to get the OSTR. 

If your PGCE specifically says early years then you might find that route is easier but you will have to use a points tally for each to see which is better for you 

. My wife is an early years teacher and I am an electrician. We went early years route as she got more points for education but I did the skills the assessment anyway as I will need it to work out there. You can claim 5 points for partner skills too. 

Definitely worth speaking to down under centre. They will give you an idea of current costs. My assessment came to around £1400 with a trip to London for test and wife’s was around £400.

10 hours ago, Pinklady said:

Have been on holiday now to the lovely Oz and fallen in live with the country. Am a qualified primary teacher and partner electrician . I’ve looked at the skills assessment for myself and partner but for electrician seems a lengthy process and costly has anyone been in a similar situation and any advice and whether we would be likely to be invited ... thanks in advance 

word of advice, living and working here is a lot less fun than going on holiday. Holidays in oz certainly more fun than holidays in uk but living isn't always the case

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pinklady said:

I’m early years yes .... so to speak to down under centre as a first point do they charge for giving advice ... 

You seem very concerned on costs. Be aware that migration is a VERY expensive process and visa costs are only the first drop in the ocean. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pinklady said:

I’m early years yes .... so to speak to down under centre as a first point do they charge for giving advice ... 

Many agents will offer an initial free consult to assess you case. If you want to use them for your actual migration application etc, expect to pay. 

As has been said there is an over supply of teachers in Aus. Often its the rural/country towns crying out for them but very few want to work and live in those. If you are focussing on a city or pretty built up area, teaching may be hard going or mean a long time doing relief or only getting term or 1 year contracts. Research carefully on areas that would support you both work wise. 

1 hour ago, Pinklady said:

I’m just looking for some advice and understand that teaching market is saturated at the minute but am wanting to do the skills assessment . Thanks for your help 

If you want to have someone guide you through the process then paying an agent is the way to do it.

Others are happy to do their own.

I do also second others that living in a country is very different to a holiday. Those holiday goggles nees to be firmly off ;) However, it is how many first experience Aus and then want to try to experience it more on a longer more permanent basis and opt to migrate :D As to who it works out for, some settle, others do not. But if you are both young enough with no real ties or children to worry about yet, go for it and hopefully it’ll be what you want it to be, though it may be a few years of living there before it all falls into place. Good luck with it all :) 

When I migrated it was all DIY, but the process is so daunting now, I would definitely use an agent like GoMatilda.  Just make sure they are MARA registered, there are some shonks out there.

The first step is to work out whether you can get enough points.  Once you've done that, the most important thing for you is to research where you might go.  I'm sure you know that living in Birmingham isn't the same as living in Tunbridge Wells, and Australia is just as varied.  You don't say where you were on holiday but if you were in Noosa, for instance, you won't find anything like that in Melbourne.   

So, think about what kind of lifestyle you're looking for, research where in Australia you could get that lifestyle, then check (a) whether you can afford it and (b) whether there are any jobs in that region.   It can be tricky getting the right combination - for instance, there are plenty of jobs in Sydney but only millionaires can afford it.  Whereas the Sunshine Coast has that laidback beachside vibe but jobs will be harder to find.  You can check out property prices on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au.   

Take a look at the AITSL website and Down Under Center website to see what is involved for each of you. There is quite a bit of evidence gathering for both.

AITSL will expect your bachelor degree to say early years in the title and PGCE experience to be with 0-8 range for all 3 placements. You will probably need to get a letter from the university outlining this. We did as the transcript didn’t specify. Takes around 10 weeks to come back from when they receive it and everything must be certified copies. A headteacher can do this for you to save money but you will obviously have to disclose your plans.You will also need references from schools on headed paper with duties matching the Anzco description (don’t copy and paste it though). As a tip request a skilled employment statement at time of application to help with DIBP. 

Down Under Centre (on behalf of TRA) will want to see payslips covering the amount of years employment your partner would claim for (1 per quarter per year) along with references (can be from colleagues) on letterheaded paper. A tax summary from HMRC is also useful. Copies of all technical certificates and NVQ. Experience only counts from when qualified e.g completed NVQ. He will also need to complete a trade set report from TRA website. If he ticks all the above boxes, strap in because it’s the start of stage 3.

Stage 3 is a trip out for a practical test. With DUC it’s a trip to Ealing and there are 4 parts.

1. science and principles

2. motor control circuits 

3. Fault finding

4. Small installation simulator of house. 

There also IELTS to consider but you can draw straws on that after researching the above . Another tip though, expect to pay for more than one test. Native speakers struggle first time as they are complacent.

Hopefully that will give you some idea of what might be ahead of you. If you are organised you can do these yourselves if you have any doubts then an agent will be worth the cost.

Also available in hardback at most good book stores. ????

• Like 3

Thanks for your advice my pgce doesn’t have early years thou but my experience is all early years plus a masters in early years . Have you completed the electrical assessment test? 

On 08/05/2018 at 19:21, Jsmull87 said:

Take a look at the AITSL website and Down Under Center website to see what is involved for each of you. There is quite a bit of evidence gathering for both.

AITSL will expect your bachelor degree to say early years in the title and PGCE experience to be with 0-8 range for all 3 placements. You will probably need to get a letter from the university outlining this. We did as the transcript didn’t specify. Takes around 10 weeks to come back from when they receive it and everything must be certified copies. A headteacher can do this for you to save money but you will obviously have to disclose your plans.You will also need references from schools on headed paper with duties matching the Anzco description (don’t copy and paste it though). As a tip request a skilled employment statement at time of application to help with DIBP. 

Down Under Centre (on behalf of TRA) will want to see payslips covering the amount of years employment your partner would claim for (1 per quarter per year) along with references (can be from colleagues) on letterheaded paper. A tax summary from HMRC is also useful. Copies of all technical certificates and NVQ. Experience only counts from when qualified e.g completed NVQ. He will also need to complete a trade set report from TRA website. If he ticks all the above boxes, strap in because it’s the start of stage 3.

Stage 3 is a trip out for a practical test. With DUC it’s a trip to Ealing and there are 4 parts.

3. Fault finding

There also IELTS to consider but you can draw straws on that after researching the above . Another tip though, expect to pay for more than one test. Native speakers struggle first time as they are complacent.

Hopefully that will give you some idea of what might be ahead of you. If you are organised you can do these yourselves if you have any doubts then an agent will be worth the cost.

Yes I have completed the electrical assessment. Happy to answer any questions your partner may have.

For assessments, AITSL are quite rigid particularly with the supervised teaching practice. It may work out fine but I would seek some professional advice before you pay for an assessment. 

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Be aware on budgeting your partner will not be allowed to work as an electrician until he gains a A grade license in Oz. This will vary by state, but he should budget for a year and a number of fairly expensive courses. 

To be clear, I think you mean he'll be able to work as an apprentice for that first year? (assuming he can get a job).

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2018 at 04:21, Jsmull87 said:

3. Fault finding

I do not have any work experience as a teacher, a fresh graduate come this jan. Do they prefer applicants wth work experience? If I’m to have the same points as someone with work experience ?

• Like 1

I think with AITSL you will get a positive outcome as long as you have a 3yr bachelor degree and a relevant PGCE. If you have no experience then it’s a given you will drop points for professional experience. There’s plenty of free points calculators on the web you can use but be brutally honest in your self assessment. Also worth speaking to a MARA registered agent.

Just as there are areas to lose points, there is opportunities to gain points by getting high IELTS scores etc or partner skills. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

I think with AITSL you will get a positive outcome as long as you have a 3yr bachelor degree and a relevant PGCE. If you have no experience then it’s a given you will drop points for professional experience. There’s plenty of free points calculators on the web you can use but be brutally honest in your self assessment. Also worth speaking to a MARA registered agent.

Just as there are areas to lose points, there is opportunities to gain points by getting high IELTS scores etc or partner skills. 

Okay, I would hopefully have 70 points when I get my pgce completed this jan. When submitting for it to be assessed by AITSL, what documents should I submit?

- transcripts of my pgce and degree

- certificates of both

- ielts(above 8 )

is there anything else, I should supply with my application  ? And when submitting letter from university regarding the supervised teaching practice, they should mention the number of days and the age group I taught for right ? Should they also include the dates and the school?

thank you 

• Like 1

Yes give as much info as possible such as  ages and duration in regard of letter. If you can any  references or letters from placement schools it would be a bit of a bonus. 

Everything needs to be certified copies in wet ink and IELTS needs to be academic version for skills assessment. They don’t always insist on IELTS as they will accept in some cases your degree from a uni taught in English. My personal opinion is do the test and submit as part of application to be sure as you can then use the same test for points. Just ask for extra copies.

There is plenty of info on AITSL website about what is required. The application has a check sheet included if I remember correctly. If you are unsure on anything I would consult an agent rather get it wrong though. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

Yes give as much info as possible such as  ages and duration in regard of letter. If you can any  references or letters from placement schools it would be a bit of a bonus. 

Everything needs to be certified copies in wet ink and IELTS needs to be academic version for skills assessment. They don’t always insist on IELTS as they will accept in some cases your degree from a uni taught in English. My personal opinion is do the test and submit as part of application to be sure as you can then use the same test for points. Just ask for extra copies.

There is plenty of info on AITSL website about what is required. The application has a check sheet included if I remember correctly. If you are unsure on anything I would consult an agent rather get it wrong though. 

Thank you, not really sure whther I can get letters from the school, did you guys submit it? 

Ya I’m planning on doing the academic ielts, will help me claim 20 points as well. 

We need to get all the documents, certified by a lawyer ? So I need to get 2/3 copies of the ielts certificates? So as to submit one to aitsl? Or can submit a certified photocopy to aitsl? 

• Thanks 1

IELTs will provide up to 5 copies free  I think or a certified copy will do. A head teacher can certify them if you happen to know one. 

One thing to remember is academic IELTS is more difficult than standard and it is a strange concept first go. There are youtube videos and good tutors out there and my advice would be to study them. You will be surprised how many native speakers struggle with the test and have a few goes to get the results they need. 

• Thanks 1