How do people actually get into work in Australia?

Brucolino

On 24/05/2018 at 14:27, Brucolino said:

Just thought I'd mention that I was applying to multiple positions in Australia while I was still in the UK. I included in the cover letter than I had permanent residency and was in the process of migrating on a permanent basis but did not get a single response. Even when I would send emails to recruiters I wouldn't get any reply back. I think the moment they see a UK mob.# on your CV/application they just bin it.

I have an aussie mobile number, it's been on roaming for the past 1 year. That's the only number I put in my CV and cover letter sent out via seek or LinkedIn. No email responses back, no ping back on LinkedIn saying that someone actually looked at my profile based on the job description. The only call I actually got back was from someone asking if I wanted to buy a pair of puppies ?

I'm still curious though why headhunters would post that they're looking for people to fill positions on LinkedIn but not even look at a LinkedIn profile when I ping them.

Good to hear that you've gotten an interview though! Best of luck!

Edited by gameover98
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2018 at 05:41, Dis said:

Hi Kevsan,

WOW - was very surprised to read this, thank you so much, very kind of you and much appreciated  ?

We weren't planning on moving over until later next year, when my son finishes his GCSE's, but we can be over in 6-8 weeks if need be.

We were just going to head to Melbourne as a base and take it from there tbh, go wherever the work is then work around that, so fairly flexible on location.

I'll PM you with his CV asap, think he just needs to add a couple of things to it.  If there's anything more specific you require, pls let me know.

Thank you

No troubles

I've spoken to the Resource manger this morning - and forwarded on the details - i've pm'd you with more specifics.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kevsan said:

No troubles

I've spoken to the Resource manger this morning - and forwarded on the details - i've pm'd you with more specifics.

Good Luck!

Awww...Thank you.  Much appreciated!  ? 

On 19/05/2018 at 15:06, Brucolino said:

It’s almost as though the jobs aren’t genuinely on offer but they are simply sussing out candidates for potential future hire.

?

Yes well this is 1000 % true.

I don't know how it works in the UK, as I never had to see a recruitment agent over there. But in Sydney, recruitment agents advertise "genetic" jobs that don't actually exist.

You apply for them , are interviewed and then suddenly that job is gone. They either have just-the-job-for-you (some crappy job you didn't want), or nothing is proceeded further despite a promise of a 2nd interview.

At first I thought I was imagining things. But I noticed a pattern. Then it was actually verbally confirmed to me. I was at an office party and the partner of one of my colleagues was a recruitment agent and he confirmed everything and more.

Not sure classed as illegal. But certainly unethical. Apparently the process helps with the recruitment agent meeting their monthly targets.

Probably doesn't happen in every firm. But certainly does happen in some.

Of course there are bona-fida jobs and you can get proper jobs through recruitment agents. But many of them are not real

Most of my best jobs here I found in the local newspaper job page.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2018 at 12:00, Paul1Perth said:

Judging by UWA most of the Asians there can't even speak English. Our workplace is across the road from one of their refectories and I use it daily. They have to employ Chinese ladies behind the counter so the students can order meals. Luckily the ladies can also speak English as well as a few different Asian dialects. 

Which is what you’d see in Beijing University...a whole lot of non-Chinese not being able to speak Mandarin. Your point mate?