Computer restriction in children / teens , your thoughts ?

Jojoe

23 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

I think exposure is important and I don’t think restricting kids/teens use to ‘purely for study’ is helpful as even young children can get online these days without you ever knowing if they wanted to emoji6.png

Hmmm... Really?  I can track every single keystroke that goes in and out through my router.

Hmmm... Really?  I can track every single keystroke that goes in and out through my router.

I don’t doubt that you can through YOUR router. But that’s quite naive. There will be one kid at school with mobile data they are willing to share amongst friends, or a computer at a friends or grandparents house where they don’t exercise control like you.
Also, even though you CAN track every keystroke, do you? I don’t know anyone with enough time for that and I personally think there should be an appropriate level of trust and privacy at any age. I mean, we don’t keep the door open on a six year old going to the toilet just in case they squirt shampoo all over the floor do we?

Actually, I block any and all IP addresses / URLs until I've checked them myself through a device not connected to the home network.  

For my own safety, as it goes.

The logs are for back up in case anything gets through.

You might not keep the bathroom door open, but do you leave your credit card lying around so that anyone can see it?

Actually, I block any and all IP addresses / URLs until I've checked them myself through a device not connected to the home network.  
For my own safety, as it goes.
The logs are for back up in case anything gets through.
You might not keep the bathroom door open, but do you leave your credit card lying around so that anyone can see it?

Which is all great things to consider for devices and networks you have control over. But the OP was talking about children and teens so my comment was to draw attention to the fact that from a young age they can and do access from many places other than home so in those situations, education is far more important than restriction!

4 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

Which is all great things to consider for devices and networks you have control over. But the OP was talking about children and teens so my comment was to draw attention to the fact that from a young age they can and do access from many places other than home so in those situations, education is far more important than restriction!

IMO both are equally important. If you know your chlidren are accessing the internet from "many other places" already, then they're already having more screen time than is healthy for their eyes and their minds, so if that's the case then it's even more important that it's restricted at home.

Edited by Marisawright