Fumigation

Davo453

G'day all

I can't believe that no one has asked this but I have failed to find anything in the archives

We originally emigrated to Perth in the mid 1980's then came back to the uk about 10 years ago (family reasons etc) and we are now going back home.

When we first emigrated we took basically nothing with us just a few boxes of stuff. When we came back the the UK we brought several bits of furniture and boxes etc no fumigation mentioned at all.

Now we are going back to Australia (Brisbane) and this time we will take a fair bit of stuff including some hardwood furniture which will probably equal most of a 20 foot container.

However the fumigation thing has me totally baffled, I have approached Pickfords (who moved us on both previous occasions) they cannot or will not even guess at the potential cost of fumigation. 

Does anyone have any idea what it might cost or perhaps have a link to something that will allow me to work it out just roughly, I mean knowing Australian bureaucracy there must be some guidelines that they work to.

We had a small wooden ornament probably 18 inches high and it got picked up by customs they wanted either close to $400 to fumigate or $70 to destroy it. So I should imagine furniture would be extremely expensive should they decide it's untreated - I believed our ornament was treated but not according to customs.

7 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

We had a small wooden ornament probably 18 inches high and it got picked up by customs they wanted either close to $400 to fumigate or $70 to destroy it. So I should imagine furniture would be extremely expensive should they decide it's untreated - I believed our ornament was treated but not according to customs.

My that does sound scary. I wonder how the antique furniture shippers get away with it much of what they import to Australia from the UK must be a potential problem. 

If your furniture is sound and clean it will not need fumigation. If they see evidence of woodworm or insect activity, even if old they will ask for a treatment certificate or require fumigation. 

We brought wooden furniture etc with no issues. They did check boxes with shoes, decorations and tools though.