Working as a bricklayer

Spencer

Hi could anyone working as a bricklayer give me some information on the best place to work,I’m looking at Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane,I loved both Sydney and Brisbane but am yet to visit Melbourne.How much work is around and what sort of prices they are paying,as I have a young family I can’t try before I buy as so to speak as I can’t pull the kids out of schools.any information would be much appreciated thanks spencer. 

If you love Brisbane, then go to Brisbane.   House prices in those cities are very different.  Sydney house prices are astronomical, and if you decide to settle there, you'll have a large mortgage even if you live a very long commute from the centre.   Melbourne house prices are about two-thirds of Sydney's.   Brisbane is about a third less again.  So if money is tight with a young family, you'll be able to afford a better home in Brisbane.

have a look at the built environment of each city. Brisbane has the least amount of brickwork preferring framed and clad generally. Melbourne is most European in building styles so will have most brickwork. 

Im in Brisbane and love the place but the building industry is very different here.

• Like 2

I have seen the difference in the buildings myself and thought much the same,there still seems to be a lot of jobs posted in Brisbane for bricklayers and the prices are similar to Sydney although both less than half of the uk (not moving for the money)

I really would like to hear from some people doing it to find things out like how much time they loose with weather ect and how it works for them . 

I did aim to do all this the last time I was in Australia on a working visa but met a women after 8 weeks fell in love and followed her back to Germany now 5 years a marriage and two kids we want to come back. 

On 19/04/2018 at 19:28, Spencer bevan said:

I have seen the difference in the buildings myself and thought much the same,there still seems to be a lot of jobs posted in Brisbane for bricklayers and the prices are similar to Sydney although both less than half of the uk (not moving for the money)

I really would like to hear from some people doing it to find things out like how much time they loose with weather ect and how it works for them . 

I did aim to do all this the last time I was in Australia on a working visa but met a women after 8 weeks fell in love and followed her back to Germany now 5 years a marriage and two kids we want to come back. 

They must be earning some big money in London now , as I have employed bricklayers in sydney for some contracts we had they were earning big money 3k plus a week 

Newcastle is booming worth a look 

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

They must be earning some big money in London now , as I have employed bricklayers in sydney for some contracts we had they were earning big money 3k plus a week 

Newcastle is booming worth a look 

I've heard that about Newcastle too.   I always thought  Newcastle was a nice city, it's under-rated because it used to be quite run-down, but it has had a real renaissance in recent years.  I had colleagues in Sydney who'd been transferred to the Sydney office but refused to move their families from Newcastle - they felt Newcastle was a much better place to bring up their kids. 

The big attraction for migrants is that the house prices are half the price of Sydney.   The beaches there are great and it's close to the wineries - what more could you want?  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've heard that about Newcastle too.   I always thought  Newcastle was a nice city, it's under-rated because it used to be quite run-down, but it has had a real renaissance in recent years.  I had colleagues in Sydney who'd been transferred to the Sydney office but refused to move their families from Newcastle - they felt Newcastle was a much better place to bring up their kids. 

The big attraction for migrants is that the house prices are half the price of Sydney.   The beaches there are great and it's close to the wineries - what more could you want?  

Spot on summary , we moved up to pokolbin from sydney , it’s 45 min into Newcastle for us an hour up to Nelson Bay Area but live in the vine yards 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 21:49, Spencer said:

Hi could anyone working as a bricklayer give me some information on the best place to work,I’m looking at Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane,I loved both Sydney and Brisbane but am yet to visit Melbourne.How much work is around and what sort of prices they are paying,as I have a young family I can’t try before I buy as so to speak as I can’t pull the kids out of schools.any information would be much appreciated thanks spencer. 

Is it just locations you are enquiring about, if so, sorry my knowledge is out of date.  I can help with the different techniques and how they differ from being a brickie in the UK if you want.

• Like 1