Can I bring my pet parrots from Australia to the UK if I have to leave? Please advise. Thanks

csc2018

I don't see why not.  

Exporting native household pets

In general, Australian native animals are not permitted to leave Australia. This is to protect and conserve Australian native wildlife.

But you may be able to take some native pets overseas as long as they will not be used for commercial purposes such as selling or trading. If you would like to take your pet with you when you leave Australia, you must:

• be an Australian resident or ordinarily reside in Australia
  • have owned and kept the animal as a household pet
  • be leaving Australia with the intention of taking up permanent residence in another country.

Native household pets that may be taken internationally are listed below. All have a limit of three animals, except budgerigars and cockatiels, which are limited to a non-commercial quantity:

• Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
  • Galah (Eolophus roseicapillus)
  • Little corella (Cacatua sanguinea)
  • Long-billed corella (Cacatua tenuirostris)
  • Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus)
  • Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus).

I don't see why not.  

Exporting native household pets

In general, Australian native animals are not permitted to leave Australia. This is to protect and conserve Australian native wildlife.

But you may be able to take some native pets overseas as long as they will not be used for commercial purposes such as selling or trading. If you would like to take your pet with you when you leave Australia, you must:

• be an Australian resident or ordinarily reside in Australia
  • have owned and kept the animal as a household pet
  • be leaving Australia with the intention of taking up permanent residence in another country.

Native household pets that may be taken internationally are listed below. All have a limit of three animals, except budgerigars and cockatiels, which are limited to a non-commercial quantity:

• Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
  • Galah (Eolophus roseicapillus)
  • Little corella (Cacatua sanguinea)
  • Long-billed corella (Cacatua tenuirostris)
  • Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus)
  • Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus).
Hi Toots,

Thanks for the info.

What if my parrorts are not on the list above?

And do you have the information about permits and cost?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, csc2018 said:
11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:
If they are not on the list, then you are not allowed to take them out of Australia.  What parrots do you have?  

Rainbow lorrikeets

Toots left out the last line of that quote.  The last line says "No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet".   That's very clear, isn't it?  

I did come across an application someone else submitted, to get a special exemption.   I have no idea whether they got permission or not:

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/comment/export-rainbow-lorikeet-exceptional-circumstances

Frankly, I'm very doubtful you'd be successful.  Parrots do form bonds, but if you've got more than one lorikeet, then they've bonded with each other as well - so if they lose you, they still have each other, and I'd think most vets would say that's enough.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Toots left out the last line of that quote.  The last line says "No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet".   That's very clear, isn't it?  
I did come across an application someone else submitted, to get a special exemption.   I have no idea whether they got permission or not:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/comment/export-rainbow-lorikeet-exceptional-circumstances
Frankly, I'm very doubtful you'd be successful.  Parrots do form bonds, but if you've got more than one lorikeet, then they've bonded with each other as well - so if they lose you, they still have each other, and I'd think most vets would say that's enough.  
Thank u very much.
I've sent an eamil to them and waiting for reply.

5 minutes ago, csc2018 said:

Thank u very much.
I've sent an eamil to them and waiting for reply.

They will reply to say "No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet""  

So that's not going to help you.  You will need to make a formal application.

I think it would be worth contacting some pet transport companies, they would probably know how it works:

https://www.petrelocation.com/blog/post/shipping-birds-feathers-beaks-and-a-whole-lotta-paperwork

They will reply to say "No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet""  
I think it would be worth contacting some pet transport companies, they would probably know how it works:
https://www.petrelocation.com/blog/post/shipping-birds-feathers-beaks-and-a-whole-lotta-paperwork

Ok thanks. I will try everything

2 minutes ago, csc2018 said:
3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Ok thanks. I will try everything

Good luck.

17 minutes ago, csc2018 said:
18 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:
Have you checked with UK customs that you are allowed to import them?

Not yet. I think australian costom is the strictest

You're going to have to hire a pet removal company to make the move and they should be able to advise you on that too.  Did you read the article?

Edited by Marisawright

Probably because they are her pets and she loves them.
For me, they are my only family in AU.
Of course I know I can't bring them with me. So I tried every single way to stay but still goes wrong. Everytime thinking about I will be forced to give them away, it breaks my heart.
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, csc2018 said:

For me, they are my only family in AU.
Of course I know I can't bring them with me. So I tried every single way to stay but still goes wrong. Everytime thinking about I will be forced to give them away, it breaks my heart.

Rehome them via a breed rescue or some such and I am sure their new owner will give you updates. Take your time to find the right home for them.